Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 92897 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: The Garage
« Reply #325: May 23, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »
just the aluminum body for one of those went for 50 grand on Pawn stars.

Also, looks like I got about 24 mpg on my last tank :clap:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #326: May 28, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
Aspenbubba, with his ride:

Excuse me for a few, as I now have need to attend to some personal matters...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #327: May 28, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »

I REALLY want to take my new car on I68 and really see what she can do. Maybe if I go to a Penn State game in the fall or something.

Or you could always take a trip up to Deep Creek Lake. Remember, it's almost always 10º or more cooler there. Depending on the weather, I may wash up the R/T and take the wife up there this tomorrow.

Also, when I win Power Ball this week, I'm going to order me a Back Draft Cobra! Hell, I might just go to Barrett-Jackson and get me an original.

Offline MDoyle

• UMW 2010
« Reply #328: June 03, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
Since Friday my front tires on my Ford Focus have been clicking whenever I turned them hard, even when I wasn't moving.  Brought it into the shop, they said I had a broken front coil spring and they had to replace the whole front end of the car for $950.  I don't know crap about cars, but I do know you shouldn't be able to break those things easily, and I haven't really been jumping rivers in the General Lee or anything, so I called Ford and asked if there was a recall.  Turns out there is one that covers for cars with under 10 years and under 150,000.  Got the car 9 years ago, has 140,000 on it.   Very nice.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #329: June 03, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
and 10,000 miles to spare. nice timing

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #330: June 03, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »
Ford Recalls are disgusting. I had to get a $400 repair once - they replaced a nylon part with aluminum. Hmm. A few years later, a court made them send me a check for the full repair amount.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #331: June 03, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
Car turned over 150,000 miles today.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #332: June 11, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
Another unintended acceleration incident.  This time, though, on a 2008 Chevy Equinox.

http://www.wlky.com/news/23848423/detail.html

WTF is going on with all this?  I'm just glad I have a manual transmission so I know I can stop my car if it would ever happen to me.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #333: June 11, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »
Another unintended acceleration incident.  This time, though, on a 2008 Chevy Equinox.

http://www.wlky.com/news/23848423/detail.html

WTF is going on with all this?  I'm just glad I have a manual transmission so I know I can stop my car if it would ever happen to me.

Can't you just put an auto into neutral?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #334: June 11, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »
Can't you just put an auto into neutral?
In the story it claims she did.  As did many of the Toyota drivers.

I believe that the electronic controlled transmissions may have a lock out feature that will ignore a shift into neutral if you are travelling over a certain speed.  So that if you accidentally bumped the gear selector into N or :shock: R while traveling down the road, you don't have a transmission blow up or lose power.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #335: June 11, 2010, 07:07:13 PM »
In the story it claims she did.  As did many of the Toyota drivers.

I believe that the electronic controlled transmissions may have a lock out feature that will ignore a shift into neutral if you are travelling over a certain speed.  So that if you accidentally bumped the gear selector into N or :shock: R while traveling down the road, you don't have a transmission blow up or lose power.

Well, as you probably know, the Mazda transmission is super smart. Flooring it lowers the gear, and the automatic manual has idiotproof shifting (limits on going low enough to burn out the transmission). Why dont they kill the engine then.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #336: June 11, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »
Well, as you probably know, the Mazda transmission is super smart. Flooring it lowers the gear, and the automatic manual has idiotproof shifting (limits on going low enough to burn out the transmission). Why dont they kill the engine then.
That can be a very bad idea.  One reason is that you lose power steering and the power brake boost.  Another biggie is what happens if you get in your car and turn the steering wheel before you turn the car on?  The steering wheel locks.  That would be very bad if you are traveling 90 mph down the highway in a runaway car.  I think that may only happen if the key is out of the ignition though.

The thing that gets me though, is that C&D did a test with cars at full throttle and hitting the brakes.  The car always stopped, longer than normal of course, but even the Roush stage 3 Mustang stopped from 100 mph at full throttle.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #337: June 11, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
Wait, so no one thinks to try the brakes?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #338: June 11, 2010, 07:25:21 PM »
Wait, so no one thinks to try the brakes?
I guess they just don't press them hard enough.  Because according to the things I've seen, you should be able to stop.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #339: June 30, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
So I recently got to take my new car out on I68. Pretty fun and really hard not to fly around those curves at 90mph. But you REALLY have to keep your eye on the road.

I also found out that my Mazda5 is very good at passing with a dotted yellow line. People seem bewildered at the tiny minivan zooming past them :evil: Of course I always drive the speed limit :halo:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #340: June 30, 2010, 10:28:17 PM »
So I recently got to take my new car out on I68. Pretty fun and really hard not to fly around those curves at 90mph. But you REALLY have to keep your eye on the road.

I also found out that my Mazda5 is very good at passing with a dotted yellow line. People seem bewildered at the tiny minivan zooming past them :evil: Of course I always drive the speed limit :halo:
Glad you like the zoom-zoom :twisted:

My sister just bought a new (used) car.  Mazda 3.  2008.  1 year newer than mine :?  But she got a base model with the 2.0 engine, no power locks or windows or anything like that.  It's still a sharp looking car and the interior is great.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #341: June 30, 2010, 10:29:06 PM »
Oh, and PA, did you make use of the automanual on the curves for extra fun?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #342: June 30, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »

I tried it in my neighborhood and shelved it for a while. I've never driven manual before. I do take advantage of that nice downshift you get when you floor it. Also, 5th gear is 85mph? Jeez.

I convinced some relatives to get a 2010 3 hatch, and now I'm jealous. That's got PZEV too :( Anyone know if you can get aftermarket PZEV?

Luckily the 2010 base model of the Mazda5 is a lot more pimped out. Power locks, windows, mirrors, 2nd row cool air fan, and I got the spoiler and door edge guards for free.

I also got like 31 mpg on my last roadtrip :shock:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #343: July 01, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
I've never driven manual before.

:roll:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #344: July 01, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »

steptronic is one of the greatest addition to cars in the last 20 years. You get to pretend you have a manual on country roads, but not have to deal with shifting commuting.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #345: July 01, 2010, 08:49:59 AM »
steptronic is one of the greatest addition to cars in the last 20 years. You get to pretend you have a manual on country roads, but not have to deal with shifting commuting.

Nothing beats the real thing.  Well, maybe DSG, I can't say about that - haven't tried one.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #346: July 01, 2010, 08:52:18 AM »
Nothing beats the real thing.  Well, maybe DSG, I can't say about that - haven't tried one.

True, and if I had extra money for a 'fun car' it would be a manual. Short of that steptronic is pretty nice, plus you have the benefit of not having to worry about the wife frying the engine when she tries it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #347: July 01, 2010, 10:12:32 AM »
:roll:

Very nice. I've never had a new car before - I had an inherited car for 10+ years. I don't think I68 is the the place to learn.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #348: July 01, 2010, 11:20:36 AM »
Very nice. I've never had a new car before - I had an inherited car for 10+ years. I don't think I68 is the the place to learn.

:lol:

I bought my 1981 Honda Civic 5 sp. new, and had never driven a clutch before either.  Learning as I drove it off the lot.  Yes, that first uphill start was a bit adventurous....    :-[

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #349: July 01, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
:lol:

I bought my 1981 Honda Civic 5 sp. new, and had never driven a clutch before either.  Learning as I drove it off the lot.  Yes, that first uphill start was a bit adventurous....    :-[

The beauty part is that with the auto-manual there's no clutch to burn out. The shifting is idiot-proof; it won't allow you to make a gear change that will hurt the engine. My wife and I will go to a parking lot somewhere and she'll teach me. At least the car has a tachometer.

Didn't you test drive the 81? Did the salesman have a stroke?