Author Topic: The Leeches of Baltimore (2024)  (Read 2101 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: The Leeches of Baltimore (2024)
« Reply #25: January 31, 2024, 12:45:10 PM »
I bet there are more people watching MASN on MLB TV out of market than in the DMV.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: January 31, 2024, 12:46:58 PM »
People thought Lerner would be willing to spend too. Baltimore itself cannot support a perennial contender. The question is whether or not ownership is willing to subsidize it- somehow I don't see a group lead by a private equity guy with a hedge fund guy as the largest minority owner willing to spend to compete with large market teams
The Lerners were willing. Then they werent.

With their farm system and front office, the Orioles on the cusp of being what the Braves are. Like, a 120 million dollar payroll makes them heavy WS favorites in the AL.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: January 31, 2024, 01:05:46 PM »
Neither? People from Arlington and Alexandria don't care about a team in Baltimore. Likewise, the Nats are doing everything possible to convince them to not care about a team in Washington either
eh, turning on a TV is not that much of an investment of time. I could see folks turning them on.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: January 31, 2024, 01:21:52 PM »
eh, turning on a TV is not that much of an investment of time. I could see folks turning them on.

It is if you're a cord cutter

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: January 31, 2024, 01:23:09 PM »
The Lerners were willing. Then they werent.

With their farm system and front office, the Orioles on the cusp of being what the Braves are. Like, a 120 million dollar payroll makes them heavy WS favorites in the AL.

True, but an $80 million payroll is more profitable

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #30: January 31, 2024, 04:52:20 PM »
Neither? People from Arlington and Alexandria don't care about a team in Baltimore. Likewise, the Nats are doing everything possible to convince them to not care about a team in Washington either

When I lived in Fairfax County there were very few O's fans pre-Nats.  Lots of Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs etc, fan surveys today show the Orioles trailing those franchises for support in DC and NoVA.  The O's could be the '27 Yankees, there's no way to get there for a weeknight game from most of NoVA.

My hope with Rubenstein is he's not an inferior complex Baltimoron like Angelos, who saw the Nats not only as a financial threat, but as some kind of threat to their ego.   Also, as RSNs become decreased sources of revenue, the fact that they have to charge such low prices to bring fans to OPACY is a serious issue.  One reason why I would think they wanted the real estate development clause in the new lease before the sale.   Rubenstein will focus on that, which is worth more to the team than leeching off of DC.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: January 31, 2024, 05:36:32 PM »
I wonder how much that development deal will end up being worth. That area isn’t exactly vibrant and Baltimore is not growing

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #32: January 31, 2024, 06:04:33 PM »
There is some optimism, however faint, that something could happen with the MASN deal because of this sale. In the Washington Post article it states:

"When the Lerner family announced it was exploring a sale of the Nationals in April 2022, Rubenstein emerged as a potential buyer in partnership with Ted Leonsis, owner of the Washington Capitals, Wizards and Mystics."

If Rubenstein and Leonsis have a relationship it's possible they could come to some kind of pre-arranged agreement if Leonsis buys the Nationals.

Also, in the same article:

"Multiple people familiar with Leonsis and the Nationals situation have suggested that Leonsis could be seeking the rights to the Nationals or Orioles to fill out his network’s local sports programming, and a potential sale of the Orioles to Rubenstein could clear the way to a deal — though no one affiliated with either man has indicated that such a deal is imminent."

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #33: January 31, 2024, 07:02:56 PM »
I wonder how much that development deal will end up being worth. That area isn’t exactly vibrant and Baltimore is not growing

And there's not anywhere near the disposable income that DC has. 

Re: sale price, the Lerners can't be happy the O's are going for just $1.7B, because it sets a low comp, and they're kidding themselves hoping for $3B.  The Nats revenue is 20-30% higher according to Forbes due to much higher avg ticket prices than Baltimore, but would be even higher if the Lerners had capitalized on the championship instead of dumping salaries and driving away casual fans.  No way the Nats are worth more than low 2's, and that might be less than the Lerners will take, so this sale could actually keep the Lerners around for awhile unfortunately.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: February 15, 2024, 07:16:47 PM »
Kyle Bradish to miss the start of the season with a UCL sprain

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #35: February 16, 2024, 01:28:18 PM »
Kyle Bradish to miss the start of the season with a UCL sprain
John Means is still experiencing soreness in his elbow and his throwing program has been delayed. Rough start to 2024 for the O's.

Online imref

« Reply #36: February 29, 2024, 01:00:32 PM »
Jackson Holliday facing off against Paul Skenes today.

Online imref

« Reply #37: February 29, 2024, 01:52:17 PM »
Skenes hits 102, and gets Holliday to ground out on a 100mph fastball

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39: March 25, 2024, 02:40:25 PM »
The sale will still be done in two stages despite the recent passing of Peter the Patriarch. MLB owners vote of approval of the first 40% will be on WEdnesday - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/mlb-owners-vote-orioles-sale-david-rubenstein-wednesday.html
That won’t accelerate the transfer of the Angelos family’s entire stake in the team to Rubenstein’s group. Drellich and Ghiroli report that Wednesday’s vote will only be on the originally agreed upon 40% stake for Rubenstein & Co.; they’ll eventually formally acquire the remainder of the Angelos family’s 70% stake in the club, but that transaction will not be completed by Opening Day.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #40: March 25, 2024, 02:51:56 PM »
The sale will still be done in two stages despite the recent passing of Peter the Patriarch. MLB owners vote of approval of the first 40% will be on WEdnesday - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/mlb-owners-vote-orioles-sale-david-rubenstein-wednesday.html

And there doesn’t seem to be a word about MASN being tweaked at all. Marvelous.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #41: March 29, 2024, 01:33:43 AM »
David Rubenstein is a real baseball fan and a class act. I wish he were the owner of the Nats.  This season I'll be watching Orioles baseball much more often than Nationals baseball, which was unimaginable just a few short years ago.     

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #42: March 29, 2024, 12:15:54 PM »
David Rubenstein is a real baseball fan and a class act. I wish he were the owner of the Nats.  This season I'll be watching Orioles baseball much more often than Nationals baseball, which was unimaginable just a few short years ago.     

I, too, wish that Rubenstein had bought the Nats. He is a Washingtonian. However, I will never cheer for that Baltimore team. I remember when I was little and MLB moved the Browns to Baltimore. I did not know that MLB had driven Bill Veeck from baseball, refusing to let him move the Browns to Kansas City. I did know that we called them "the Bush League Baltimore Orioles". In the Washington accent, "league" is probounced "lig".

Online Five Banners

« Reply #43: March 29, 2024, 12:47:30 PM »
I, too, wish that Rubenstein had bought the Nats. He is a Washingtonian. However, I will never cheer for that Baltimore team. I remember when I was little and MLB moved the Browns to Baltimore. I did not know that MLB had drived Bill Veeck from baseball, refusing to let him move the Browns to Kansas City. I did know that we called them "the Bush League Baltimore Orioles". In the Washington accent, "league" is probounced "lig".

If they can eliminate the leech aspect under his tenure, that would be nice, but someone else can pay attention to them.

Online imref

« Reply #44: March 30, 2024, 07:11:51 PM »
Orioles became the first team since the 1927 Yankees to send 9 batters to the plate in the first inning, and have them all score, before an out.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #45: March 31, 2024, 10:10:49 AM »
Orioles became the first team since the 1927 Yankees to send 9 batters to the plate in the first inning, and have them all score, before an out.
I don't understand this stat. When did this happen? 

Online imref

« Reply #46: March 31, 2024, 10:53:46 AM »
Meant to say “in an inning”, happened in the sixth yesterday vs the Angels.

Online imref

« Reply #47: April 03, 2024, 10:55:39 PM »
The Orioles AAA team might be better than a bunch of MLB teams.
Jackson Holliday, Connor Norby, Heston Kjerstad, Coby Mayo and Kyle Stowers combined to go 20-for-32 with seven doubles, one triple, six home runs, four walks and 23 RBIs to lead the Norfolk Tides to a 26-11 win Wednesday.

Kjerstad has hit four home runs in his last two games.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #48: April 04, 2024, 08:16:14 AM »
The Orioles AAA team might be better than a bunch of MLB teams.
Kjerstad has hit four home runs in his last two games.

Their ability to draft and develop hitters since Mike Elias came along is remarkable.

Online imref

« Reply #49: April 04, 2024, 09:14:57 AM »
Kjerstad ended yesterday 5-7, 10 RBIs, 4R