Author Topic: The Weather (2017)  (Read 37804 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: The Weather (2017)
« Reply #650: September 29, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
Sorry your gal won't get a chance to profit off this disaster

My girl?    Hillary?    :hysterical:     Didn't vote for her.    You're agenda is showin'.   

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #651: September 29, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
My girl?    Hillary?    :hysterical:     Didn't vote for her.    Your agenda is showin'.   
Sure champ, sure.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #652: September 29, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
Sure champ, sure.

:hysterical:

My niece is a die hard.    She asked me who I was gonna vote for  ...   told her I never voted for a Clinton and I didn't expect to ever vote for one.     Still feel that way.    I wouldn't vote for her because I felt she had serious character flaws.    It's the same reason Trump didn't get my vote either.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #653: September 29, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
You have to get to the power to fix it. You think lineman are just gonna fast rope out of a helo to a sub-node?

I don't think that.  Why, do you?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #654: September 29, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
Whatever. It's not like this is part of my job or anything. It's not like I've written analysis of disaster recovery in the US for the last 40 years or anything.

You began writing before you were born?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #655: September 29, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »

You can actually write on stuff that happened in the past. Strange how that works.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #656: September 29, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »

I always thought Slate was a younger guy.    Then I thought, "Hell, maybe he's an old fart too."     

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #657: September 29, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »

That's how I initially read that too and figured that Slate just wrote that sentence poorly.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #658: September 29, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

That's how I initially read that too and figured that Slate just wrote that sentence poorly.

How long have you been analyzing Slate's writing?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #659: September 29, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
Think y'all might want to pay attention to what you read. Between that and Chief's article in Politics .... sheesh.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #660: September 29, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
How long have you been analyzing Slate's writing?

Long enough to know that it's below average. :popcorn:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #661: September 29, 2017, 11:17:27 AM »
Think y'all might want to pay attention to what you read. Between that and Chief's article in Politics .... sheesh.

I figured out what you meant. Like I said, I think the wording of your sentence could be interpreted to mean that you had been doing it for 40 years. And I think that is how most people would interpret it. Couple that with the fact that most of us here already know that you're full of crap and you can't blame us for thinking you were exaggerating again.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #662: September 29, 2017, 11:19:54 AM »

I figured out what you meant. Like I said, I think the wording of your sentence could be interpreted to mean that you had been doing it for 40 years. And I think that is how most people would interpret it. Couple that with the fact that most of us here already know that you're full of crap and you can't blame us for thinking you were exaggerating again.

Full of crap? :lmao: I literally live and breathe this crap. Believe me, if I could pile on FEMA, I would. But somehow, they've managed to not colossally freak this up. Yet.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #663: September 29, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »

Another reason for me to stay out of uncensored.     :couch:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #664: September 29, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »

Had a person call me an a**hole.    I said, "What's your point?   You think I'm an a**hole, you ought to talk to my wife.   She can really fill you in.    In fact, you think I'm an a**hole?     You should be me for the other 23 hours in a day.    Sometimes I amaze myself."     You say "full of crap"?     I would ask, "What's your point?"       

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #665: September 29, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
We have not done right by Puerto Rico for the past 100 years. There is a reason the infrastructure is poor. Even if you accept that we did everything perfectly (which I absolutely do not), it still goes to Mitlen’s general point that no one really gives a crap.

The infrastructure in rural Mississippi and Louisiana is crap too (not as crappy as PR, but crappy). That’s why the devestation was as awful as it was. I don’t remember folks talking about infrastructure problems and debts and “hard decisions”

So even if the response was perfect, the attitude towards these people has been far from it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #666: September 29, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
Full of crap? :lmao: I literally live and breathe this crap. Believe me, if I could pile on FEMA, I would. But somehow, they've managed to not colossally freak this up. Yet.

This would carry more weight if you didn’t act like the supreme authority on literally every topic that comes up here.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #667: September 29, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »
Sorry your gal won't get a chance to profit off this disaster

What does that have to do with anything?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #668: September 29, 2017, 11:45:19 AM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeriste The Weather (2017) wore me out today.    Guess I'll hit the Bullpen early today to get re-charged.     

Offline Slateman

« Reply #669: September 29, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
We have not done right by Puerto Rico for the past 100 years. There is a reason the infrastructure is poor. Even if you accept that we did everything perfectly (which I absolutely do not), it still goes to Mitlen’s general point that no one really gives a crap.

The infrastructure in rural Mississippi and Louisiana is crap too (not as crappy as PR, but crappy). That’s why the devestation was as awful as it was. I don’t remember folks talking about infrastructure problems and debts and “hard decisions”

So even if the response was perfect, the attitude towards these people has been far from it.
Pretty sure we lambasted the freak out of the Bush Administration for the Katrina response. Particularly an inability to get basic supplies to people. People were reduced to crapting in corners of the SuperDome. Most of these issues were blamed on the devastated road system, particularly bridges. Over 40 that were around New Orleans were deemed too dangerous to use, including the I-10 Twin Span Bridge. Then there were the litany of reports about the levees and the ACE.

No ... we definitely talked about infrastructure problems in the post Katrina environment. 

Better question regarding attitude should come from your fellow countrymen. Where are the calls for money for PR? Where are the football players starting up go fund me pages? Where are the "Pray for Puerto Rico" covers for my facebook profile pic? Yea, it would seem that America as a whole doesn't give a crap about PR.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #670: September 29, 2017, 11:55:16 AM »
hey guys, let's keep the taunts to a minimum.  It's legit to discuss the response to Maria, and folks are going to have some opinions about what is being done and can be done.  Let's try to keep it civil when we respond.  I think we can infer that some of this goes to Slate's work and expertise, so don't troll the troll.  And I ninja'd a Slate response that would have blown up the board. 

Keep it respectable.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #671: September 29, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
Pretty sure we lambasted the freak out of the Bush Administration for the Katrina response. Particularly an inability to get basic supplies to people. People were reduced to crapting in corners of the SuperDome. Most of these issues were blamed on the devastated road system, particularly bridges. Over 40 that were around New Orleans were deemed too dangerous to use, including the I-10 Twin Span Bridge. Then there were the litany of reports about the levees and the ACE.

No ... we definitely talked about infrastructure problems in the post Katrina environment. 

Better question regarding attitude should come from your fellow countrymen. Where are the calls for money for PR? Where are the football players starting up go fund me pages? Where are the "Pray for Puerto Rico" covers for my facebook profile pic? Yea, it would seem that America as a whole doesn't give a crap about PR.

The football player you’re referring to lives in Houston. Plenty of high profile people are giving tons of money to puerto rico.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #672: September 29, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »

What does any of this have to do with what I’ve said? You have zero idea what I said or did after Katrina. Or where I’ve donated my money or what’s on my Facebook page.
I simply stated that we have neglected PR for years and that the response or at the very least the public face of that response has been less than ideal. And that perhaps the initial public response from administration wasn’t as supportive as it was in past disasters (Katrina included).

Only you have brought up George Bush, or Hilary Clinton. We have neglected poor people in this country for a while. It doesn’t really matter who’s in office.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #673: September 29, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »
What does any of this have to do with what I’ve said? You have zero idea what I said or did after Katrina. Or where I’ve donated my money or what’s on my Facebook page.
I simply stated that we have neglected PR for years and that the response or at the very least the public face of that response has been less than ideal. And that perhaps the initial public response from administration wasn’t as supportive as it was in past disasters (Katrina included).

Only you have brought up George Bush, or Hilary Clinton. We have neglected poor people in this country for a while. It doesn’t really matter who’s in office.

You also said that we're only using excuses like poor infrastructure because it's PR. This isn't the case. Poor infrastructure was used for Katrina and Sandy. Just no one payed any attention because it wasn't read into.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #674: September 29, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
You also said that we're only using excuses like poor infrastructure because it's PR. This isn't the case. Poor infrastructure was used for Katrina and Sandy. Just no one payed any attention because it wasn't read into.

Two days after Katrina, did George Bush mention poor infrastructure or debts? Two days after Sandy was Obama saying how logistically difficult it was? Both these guys said “this is awful and we will do whatever it takes.” It was unqualified.

This was not the response that came after Maria. And in many ways the response from the top sets the tone for how the whole country sees the disaster. And in my opinion, seemingly blaming the Puerto Ricans  for their problems at this particular time is a bad look.

The response on the ground seems to be getting better. And the response from the administration seems to be getting better too.
But if you think the initial response was ideal, well we will just have to agree to disagree.