Author Topic: Rob Manfred wants to bring pitch clocks to the majors next year  (Read 1503 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I think it's only with no one on base. That's the way it's applied in other levels of baseball.

So if you're holding a runner on...you do what...throw over just to beat the clock if need be?  Where do you put this clock so that it is not distracting?

Stoopid idea...leave baseball alone already...

Offline houston-nat

I'd go 154 with mandatory double headers. One at home and one on the road with each divisional team.
That's 8 doubleheaders!

Offline whytev

This. It's so annoying when the batter (fussing with his batting gloves, etc.) and the pitcher (stepping off the mound) take turns delaying the game, back and forth.

Remember the one foot in the box rule? Haven't heard of that being called since it was brand new.

Offline whytev

Anything I write here would be doing a disservice because it's so nuanced that it almost requires a short thesis or dissertation.

Ultimately replay showed a player drop a diving catch which would have led to a double play.  A lot of chaos which ultimately led to the replay folks in New York allowing the umpires to place the runners who were ruled safe due to replay at the bases according to their discretion.

I think the replay ended up getting the call correct, however the ends may not justify the means in that case.

I've seen that happen (runner placing) for a blown and corrected fair or foul call. It's messy.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'd go 154 with mandatory double headers. One at home and one on the road with each divisional team.
I'm not sure double headers are all that fan friendly. i don't know folks who can afford 6 hours all that often.  I think they worked in the days when crowds were more sparse, fans more hard core, and games were shorter.  I don't see a kid sitting through both games.

Offline DPMOmaha

That's 8 doubleheaders!
Yes. One every 3 weeks or so.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'm not sure double headers are all that fan friendly. i don't know folks who can afford 6 hours all that often.  I think they worked in the days when crowds were more sparse, fans more hard core, and games were shorter.  I don't see a kid sitting through both games.
I'd assume they wouldn't be single admission events. But, honestly, there aren't many people who have time for 162 games, either. Most fans catch an inning here or there, watch the big games and keep tabs on the team a couple of days a week. If they're serious about shortening the season (and I really haven't seen any indications that they are) this shaves roughly two weeks off it.

Offline whytev

Going back to 156 would be great. The addition of the wild card game and the 5 game division series added up to six games of playoffs since 1993. Let's give them back and make the divisional series seven games.

Offline UMDNats

Of all of the ideas thrown around I can't believe that a significant reduction in schedule hasn't been even up for discussion.  154 games doesn't go far enough.  140 games, mandatory double-headers, end the season on Labor Day. 

$$$

won't happen

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
$$$

won't happen

Debatable. Cut out the 8 (or more) least profitable games of the year, add more days off throughout the season (more healthy stars, hopefully), and add additional playoff games (much more revenue than a 1:05 game on a Wednesday in Colorado...) and you're coming out ahead.

Offline Natsinpwc

The owners are never going to cut the number of games. And they don't want doubleheaders. Case closed.

Offline DPMOmaha

The owners are never going to cut the number of games. And they don't want doubleheaders. Case closed.
That's what negotiations and lawyers are for.

Offline Natsinpwc

That's what negotiations and lawyers are for.
Not going to happen. What league in any major sport has ever reduced the number of games?  They always increase them. If fewer games they will want to cut salaries accordingly.

Offline DPMOmaha

Not going to happen. What league in any major sport has ever reduced the number of games?  They always increase them. If fewer games they will want to cut salaries accordingly.
Probably not. I haven't really seen it seriously discussed by MLB people. It's something that would happen gradually over 20 years or so if it was seriously something they wanted to pursue.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the new revenue sharing in the CBA. If there was TV revenue/etc... included in that deal, I bet losing 4 home games could still be profitable for a crap team.

Offline Natsinpwc

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the new revenue sharing in the CBA. If there was TV revenue/etc... included in that deal, I bet losing 4 home games could still be profitable for a crap team.
We will see the playoffs expanded before we see the regular season cut.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
We will see the playoffs expanded before we see the regular season cut.

Even more playoff games in November? Brutal.

Offline Natsinpwc

Even more playoff games in November? Brutal.
They could cut spring training by a week and start the season earlier.  Of course they probably won't do that. For most cities there is probably not very much difference in average temps between late October and early November. Thanksgiving could be a good ending time!

Offline whytev

It could be a concession in the CBA, offset by something else.

Offline HalfSmokes

Don't really have a problem with this idea, either.

Are you going to start drawing boxes on the field that players can occupy?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I've watched a lot of minor league baseball with the clock and it definitely moves faster and you barely notice it, if at all.

This.  I love watching the clock at our AA team, there is plenty of time for the pitcher to get set and pitch and the game does move faster. 

Offline DPMOmaha

Are you going to start drawing boxes on the field that players can occupy?
I'm not gonna draw anything, but it wouldn't be an unprecedented move for a professional sports league to have a rule like this.