Author Topic: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)  (Read 10097 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)
« Reply #200: October 06, 2023, 06:36:10 AM »
Sorry Skip but you're way off.  Howell was like the only thing/person who held up their end tonight.  He put up some really good numbers considering he had absolutely no help from the crappy running game and that Swiss cheese O-Line.

Time to give Riverboat Ron his pink slip (and he can take that jackass Del Rio with him).  crap just ain't working.  The defense has been abysmal.  They've had two good halves all year, against two of the worst teams in the league (Arizona and Denver).  The O-Line is trash too, but I'm willing to give Bieniemy a pass for now and see if that's just bad personnel.

So much draft capital is spent on a defense that is still terrible. The defense should be giving Bieniemy space to develop Howell, instead they are replying on the offense to put up big points every week

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #201: October 06, 2023, 10:11:41 AM »
I watched extended highlights of the previous game and Howell made some very impressive throws. Watched a bit of the second half last night and he was running for his life. No reason not to roll with him rest of this season at least.

Anyway BEAT DALLAS.  At least once this year.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #202: October 06, 2023, 10:34:22 AM »
Just gotta hope he survives the rest of the season. Bieniemy needs to understand he’s not Mahomes.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #203: October 06, 2023, 10:42:30 AM »
Rivera and Del Rio are fossils who need to go. Our defense makes terrible teams look great. I’m sick of hear that Wilson had a great game or the Fields had a great game. They suck and play terrible against decent teams

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #204: October 06, 2023, 10:50:08 AM »
Sorry Skip but you're way off.  Howell was like the only thing/person who held up their end tonight. 
Yea probably, I was just feeling salty :twisted:

Bold move using the commanders in a survival pool.
They played the hapless Bears!! Figured it was as good a time as any to use them!!!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #205: October 06, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »
don't you think they'll let it ride this year with Rivera and Del Rio? They can use it as a test run to see if they want to hire Bienemy for next season.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #206: October 06, 2023, 11:01:47 AM »
don't you think they'll let it ride this year with Rivera and Del Rio? They can use it as a test run to see if they want to hire Bienemy for next season.
Then why not fire Rivera now and let Bienemy be interim coach to see how he does?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #207: October 06, 2023, 12:16:24 PM »
They played the hapless Bears!! Figured it was as good a time as any to use them!!!

They beat a terrible Cardinals team and almost lost to an even worst Broncos team. I think they are with those two along with the Panthers at the very bottom of the league. If I was doing a power poll, I'd but the Panthers at the bottom just below the Bears, Cardinals, Broncos, and Commanders in some order (I think they all equally suck) with your hapless pats and the jets right above them

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #208: October 06, 2023, 01:28:41 PM »
They beat a terrible Cardinals team and almost lost to an even worst Broncos team. I think they are with those two along with the Panthers at the very bottom of the league. If I was doing a power poll, I'd but the Panthers at the bottom just below the Bears, Cardinals, Broncos, and Commanders in some order (I think they all equally suck) with your hapless pats and the jets right above them
Was gonna say you can’t list hapless sucky teams and not have the pats in there :(

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #209: October 06, 2023, 03:17:55 PM »
Was gonna say you can’t list hapless sucky teams and not have the pats in there :(

after 20 years of dominance and 6 super-bowls, I don't feel bad for patriot fans experiences a bad couple of years.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #210: October 06, 2023, 03:32:11 PM »
after 20 years of dominance and 6 super-bowls, I don't feel bad for patriot fans experiences a bad couple of years.
lol don't expect anyone to, I'm not even really mad or sad right now it's like ok for all of the good years we were due to suffer some and with BB getting up there who knows when we'll ever be good again. 'twas sure fun while it lasted though!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #211: October 06, 2023, 04:06:06 PM »
lol don't expect anyone to, I'm not even really mad or sad right now it's like ok for all of the good years we were due to suffer some and with BB getting up there who knows when we'll ever be good again. 'twas sure fun while it lasted though!

As a hater, I don't know if I enjoy the thought of BB being forced out without getting Shula's record or him jumping ship to another team to get the record more

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #212: October 07, 2023, 10:43:40 AM »
Yea probably, I was just feeling salty :twisted:

Can't blame you at all.  I picked up my phone at work when things were slow and saw it was 27-11 Bears, and had to stifle myself as I muttered, "are you freaking kidding me???"

You'd think a team that took Philly to OT last week would show a bit better than that.  This was supposed to be a layup.

Rivera and Del Rio are fossils who need to go. Our defense makes terrible teams look great. I’m sick of hear that Wilson had a great game or the Fields had a great game. They suck and play terrible against decent teams

And I'm not even convinced Fields is that good.  His numbers were tepid at best before the Denver game last week, and we saw how porous their D can be during week 2.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #213: October 07, 2023, 10:55:41 AM »
Can't blame you at all.  I picked up my phone at work when things were slow and saw it was 27-11 Bears, and had to stifle myself as I muttered, "are you freaking kidding me???"

You'd think a team that took Philly to OT last week would show a bit better than that.  This was supposed to be a layup.

And I'm not even convinced Fields is that good.  His numbers were tepid at best before the Denver game last week, and we saw how porous their D can be during week 2.

I think Wilson is done and Fields sucks. The Washington defense has a knack for making terrible qbs look like mvps.

Online imref

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #215: October 10, 2023, 03:22:55 PM »
Who is Lynell?  Must be someone special to be mentioned only by a single name in the headline and article.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #216: October 11, 2023, 02:39:52 PM »
Who is Lynell?  Must be someone special to be mentioned only by a single name in the headline and article.

Jock on 106.7.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #217: October 11, 2023, 03:13:45 PM »
Jock on 106.7.
So not really any news.  Of course an owner is concerned about ticket sales. 

Online imref

« Reply #218: October 11, 2023, 03:51:01 PM »

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #219: October 11, 2023, 04:38:55 PM »
I don’t think that’s really news.  They will probably let the season play out.  Not unusual that a new owner would want a new management team. 

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #220: October 11, 2023, 10:04:47 PM »
Yeah, the media is doing their usual thing - playing up drama and trying to get clicks/ratings because they know DC is still a football town no matter how much the Capitals/Nats tried to overshadow the Raljon Command-skins for the last 18 years.

I saw the headline about Harris worrying about ticket sales come across my news feed, rolled my eyes (since the media was trying to play it up as if he was tone deaf just like Little Danny), and moved on.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #221: October 11, 2023, 10:10:31 PM »
Yeah, the media is doing their usual thing - playing up drama and trying to get clicks/ratings because they know DC is still a football town no matter how much the Capitals/Nats tried to overshadow the Raljon Command-skins for the last 18 years.

I saw the headline about Harris worrying about ticket sales come across my news feed, rolled my eyes (since the media was trying to play it up as if he was tone deaf just like Little Danny), and moved on.

When the team wins, positive stories get clicks. When they suck, media outlets still need ad revenue and people prefer reporting on disfunction to hearing about how great deal rio is

Offline machpost

« Reply #222: October 12, 2023, 08:31:05 AM »
the local media is starting to get restless.

https://wtop.com/washington-commanders/2023/10/commanders-corner-washington-not-ready-for-prime-time/

https://theathletic.com/4950969/2023/10/11/commanders-ron-rivera-emmanuel-forbes-andrew-wylie/

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/11/washington-legend-doc-walker-how-about-commanders-being-competitive-josh-harris/

The honeymoon is over (though the ire is aimed more at Rivera than Harris).  I would think Rivera is on thin ice right now.

I don't know if every media market is like this as I'm a pretty casual NFL fan, but my observation since having moved to the area right as Snyder was buying the team is that the media here is extremely manic-depressive when it comes to the team. Preseason over .500? Two or three wins strung together at any point in the season? We're going to the Super Bowl!! But if they lose a few games, especially when it's due to stupid mistakes? Fire everybody! It's the end of the world!

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #223: October 13, 2023, 10:28:48 AM »
When the team wins, positive stories get clicks. When they suck, media outlets still need ad revenue and people prefer reporting on disfunction to hearing about how great deal rio is

Those aren't exactly the only two options, and an owner being publicly concerned with ticket sales barely registers as "dysfunction" to me. :shrug:

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #224: October 13, 2023, 10:30:28 AM »
I don't know if every media market is like this as I'm a pretty casual NFL fan, but my observation since having moved to the area right as Snyder was buying the team is that the media here is extremely manic-depressive when it comes to the team. Preseason over .500? Two or three wins strung together at any point in the season? We're going to the Super Bowl!! But if they lose a few games, especially when it's due to stupid mistakes? Fire everybody! It's the end of the world!

Yep, they're basically like the New York/Boston/Philly media but only with one sport, since that's the only sport people really get fired up about in this market.