Author Topic: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread  (Read 6699 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Hmmm. Swanson plays for a solid team that competes year after year, just like Trea. Perhaps the best fit would be a shortstop coming from another bottom-feeder club.
Go for a vet then like Julio Iglesias who will not hit much but will play great defense.  And be much cheaper.  They need to find a big bat for somewhere though.  3B or LF are places to look.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Is Garcia even an infielder at this point?

In 503 innings, this season at shortstop, he's at -16 DRS and -12 OAA. For his career he's at -20 for each.

I remember him being underwhelming at second as well. Fangraphs has him at -2 DRS in 700+ innings. Statcast has him at -12 OAA.

Is this even remotely salvageable?

Online Natsinpwc

Is Garcia even an infielder at this point?

In 503 innings, this season at shortstop, he's at -16 DRS and -12 OAA. For his career he's at -20 for each.

I remember him being underwhelming at second as well. Fangraphs has him at -2 DRS in 700+ innings. Statcast has him at -12 OAA.

Is this even remotely salvageable?

He can play 2B if he can hit. I think he will enjoy the shorter throws. However some of the dumb plays may continue.  Daniel Murphy was no wizard at 2B nor was Howie.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He can play 2B if he can hit. I think he will enjoy the shorter throws. However some of the dumb plays may continue.  Daniel Murphy was no wizard at 2B nor was Howie.

Well, if he can hit, they'll find a place, but his ability to hit and his ability to play infield are two different things. 

I think he'll be fine - not great, but fine - at 2B.  So many of his issues seem to stem from the throws from SS, whether it's the footwork setting up for them or staring down runners and yanking throws wide.  I mean, look at the still at the top of this article: https://www.masnsports.com/blog/garcia-working-at-second-base-in-anticipation-of-abrams-arrival.  WTAF is that? 

He's not a total stone hands and he doesn't lack mobility - ten of his errors this year are throws, so if you even cut that by 60%, you've got something playable at 2B. 

And I'm not seeing anything approaching a 60 grade arm (which was what at least some had him as) even without the accuracy issues.  Maybe he's trying to aim the ball or something, but his throwing just looks completely freaked. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
He needs a shot at 2B. Sooner than later. Abrams will be a good reason to bump him without too much embarrassment.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He needs a shot at 2B. Sooner than later. Abrams will be a good reason to bump him without too much embarrassment.

yep, IF of the future should be House at 3B, Abrams at SS, and Garcia at 2B.

Offline rileyn

No Keiboom?

Online Natsinpwc

No Keiboom?
If he hits he can play LF. His defense did not impress. On the other hand have not seen House play defense.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
my guess is that, even if House eventually ends up at 3rd base, we will go through at least 5 guys before he takes over.  Kieboom, Alu, maybe a free agent or two, and a few AAAA guys will be given a shot.

Online imref

Re: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread
« Reply #109: September 04, 2022, 12:37:32 AM »
Now up to .300 with an OPS of .759 after going 4-5 with a double and home run tonight. He can hit. Fielding and running are an issue but he definitely can hit.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110: September 04, 2022, 10:34:28 AM »
.759 is not much of an ops. Ok, not plus. His obp will be low if he won't walk

Online Slateman

« Reply #111: September 04, 2022, 10:38:23 AM »

Until we get a new hitting coach, thats not going to change: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/14/luis-garcia-nationals/

I love Davey as the manager, but he cant be allowed to pick his own coaches anymore.

Hopefully Garcia will grow into more power

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #112: September 04, 2022, 10:44:56 AM »
OPS+ is 117. I will take that. As you say he needs to draw more walks.

Online imref

« Reply #113: September 04, 2022, 10:54:50 AM »

yep, but lets remembers he's 22 and hasn't yet played a full season in the majors.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #114: September 04, 2022, 11:12:59 AM »
For his age, I’m really happy with the bat. The trendline is positive at the plate.

If he can more cleanly field at 2B, he will be an important piece for a while.

Online imref

« Reply #115: September 04, 2022, 11:14:26 AM »
last 7 games (since returning from the IL): .379 / .400 / .690

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116: September 04, 2022, 01:12:24 PM »
OPS+ is 117. I will take that. As you say he needs to draw more walks.
around a .150 ISO. A .360  babip  is driving the average. That drops back a bit and his slg and ops come down. Stuff to like but also stuff to concern you

Online imref

I guess he can hit:

federalbaseball @federalbaseball

#Nats’ 2B Luis García is 10 for 18 (.556 AVG), w/ 2 doubles, 1 HR, and a BB in a 4-game, multi-hit game streak. Garcìa’s 13 for 31 (.419/.471/.613) start in May has him at .277/.320/.420 going in to the 2nd of 3 with the Giants in Oracle Park.

Offline nobleisthyname

García's approach at the plate is phenomenally improved so far this season. Going into the year, he had career walk and strikeout rates of 3.5% and 20.4% respectively (and an even worse 2.9% and 22.3% in 2022 by itself).

This year? He's walking 6.6% of the time and striking out only 8.2% of the time. And it doesn't look like he's sacrificing contact quality either. Hard hit% is down a bit, but his barrel and HR/FB rates are inline with career averages.

Edit: Do Fangraphs and Baseball Savant use different batted ball data? Fangraphs has García's Hard hit% as down this year, but Baseball Savant shows it up this year. Or maybe I'm just looking at the data wrong  :?

Online imref

This is why it's ridiculous to write a guy off who's 22.

Offline Senatorswin

The good news is his average is in line with what it was in 2020 and 2022 but his OBP is up to .320 from .302 and .295. I think that's what Coles and Martinez have been working on with him. Apparently, the young man is listening.

Online Slateman

García's approach at the plate is phenomenally improved so far this season. Going into the year, he had career walk and strikeout rates of 3.5% and 20.4% respectively (and an even worse 2.9% and 22.3% in 2022 by itself).

This year? He's walking 6.6% of the time and striking out only 8.2% of the time. And it doesn't look like he's sacrificing contact quality either. Hard hit% is down a bit, but his barrel and HR/FB rates are inline with career averages.

Edit: Do Fangraphs and Baseball Savant use different batted ball data? Fangraphs has García's Hard hit% as down this year, but Baseball Savant shows it up this year. Or maybe I'm just looking at the data wrong  :?

Its a nice month, but lets see how long it lasts. He's done this before, then MLB adapts and stops throwing him fastballs at the top of the zone, and he goes back to swinging at everything.

Still a long way to go for someone who doesnt project to have much power and be a below average defender at second.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Its a nice month, but lets see how long it lasts. He's done this before, then MLB adapts and stops throwing him fastballs at the top of the zone, and he goes back to swinging at everything.

Still a long way to go for someone who doesnt project to have much power and be a below average defender at second.
in svrluga's chat today, he said some in the organization think hr's a 35-40 doubles guy, but the q is whether that is in 2nd base or lf.

Online Slateman

in svrluga's chat today, he said some in the organization think hr's a 35-40 doubles guy, but the q is whether that is in 2nd base or lf.
He would get run on so much with that noodle arm.

Offline nobleisthyname

You're not wrong, but K% and BB% stabilize much faster than other stats. ~60 PAs and 120 PAs respectively. García is at 122 PAs now.