Author Topic: 2014 MLB Draft  (Read 34989 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: 2014 MLB Draft
« Reply #350: July 11, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »
Kilgore says that Austin Byler looks like he won't sign after all.  Would lose pool money which is bad for the negotiations with Fedde and Suarez.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/07/08/erick-fedde-two-other-nationals-draft-picks-remain-unsigned/
I don't get that. Why wouldn't he sign? I doubt he boosts his value any higher next year as a College senior.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #351: July 11, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »
Kilgore says that Austin Byler looks like he won't sign after all.  Would lose pool money which is bad for the negotiations with Fedde and Suarez.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/07/08/erick-fedde-two-other-nationals-draft-picks-remain-unsigned/

That probably won’t make or break the negotiations, but it’s a wrinkle. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #352: July 11, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »

It shouldn't be a hurdle, but it could be depending on what number Boras has in mind.

Offline blue911

« Reply #353: July 11, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »

It shouldn't be a hurdle, but it could be depending on what number Boras has in mind.

He'll sign.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #354: July 15, 2014, 02:56:45 PM »
another update:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/07/11/nationals-have-a-week-to-sign-top-picks-erick-fedde-andrew-suarez/

looks like it's going to be tough to sign both #1 and #2 and avoid losing a pick.

Offline blue911

« Reply #355: July 15, 2014, 03:07:39 PM »
another update:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/07/11/nationals-have-a-week-to-sign-top-picks-erick-fedde-andrew-suarez/

looks like it's going to be tough to sign both #1 and #2 and avoid losing a pick.

The story is the same one that was posted on the 11th.

Offline PC

« Reply #356: July 15, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
freak him.  Look at what Matt Purke has become.

...and STOP DRAFTING PLAYERS THAT ARE ALREADY INJURED!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #357: July 16, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
freak him.  Look at what Matt Purke has become.

...and STOP DRAFTING PLAYERS THAT ARE ALREADY INJURED!

Look what Giolito is becoming. Look what Rendon became.

Offline zoom

« Reply #358: July 16, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
The Aiken situation is getting interesting:

By Callis at MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/astros-brady-aiken-camp-at-odds-as-draft-signing-deadline-looms?ymd=20140716&content_id=84829724&vkey=news_hou)

Two days before the July 18 signing deadline for the First-Year Player Draft, it remains unclear whether No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken will come to terms with the Astros.

Houston made Aiken, a left-hander from Cathedral Catholic High (San Diego) who was the consensus top prospect in this year's Draft, the first choice June 5. Two days later, the two sides had agreed to a $6.5 million bonus, tying Jameson Taillon (Pirates, 2010) for the largest for a prep pitcher. Aiken flew to Houston on June 23 to take a physical and finalize a deal, but left two days later without a contract.

CBSSports.com reported July 7 that Aiken's physical revealed concerns about his elbow that put his deal on hold. Further complicating matters, Aiken's advisor is now accusing Houston of trying to manipulate its Draft pool to reduce Aiken's bonus and clear money to sign 21st-round pick Mac Marshall, a Parkview High (Ga.) left-hander who was considered a top-three-rounds talent.

Casey Close of Excel Sports Management, which represents big leaguers such as Derek Jeter and Clayton Kershaw, says that the Astros are mistreating Aiken and fifth-rounder Jacob Nix. A right-hander from Los Alamito High (Calif.), Nix agreed to a $1.5 million bonus within two weeks of the Draft. But now he's caught in the crossfire, because if the Astros were to pay Nix $1.5 million and not sign Aiken, they would exceed their allotted bonus pool by more than 15 percent -- and forfeit their next two first-round picks as a penalty under the Draft rules.

Close says that Aiken is completely healthy, noting that his fastball touched 97 mph in his final start for Cathedral Catholic and that he has visited two orthopedists who found nothing wrong with his elbow. Close also says that Nix passed his physical, only to have the Astros subsequently tell him his offer was contingent on Aiken signing. Both Aiken and Nix have committed to UCLA.

"I'm not going to stand for it, the families aren't going to stand for it and frankly, Major League Baseball shouldn't stand for it,'' Close said. "It's mind-boggling to me that other clubs wouldn't be appalled."

Houston general manager Jeff Luhnow has yet to confirm that Aiken or Nix ever agreed to terms, and he says that team policy won't allow him to comment on the specifics of ongoing negotiations. He does deny that the team is trying to use Aiken's physical as leverage against him.

"We've followed all of the rules," Luhnow said. "We've done nothing disingenuous throughout the whole process."

MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark took note of the situation when speaking to the Baseball Writers Association of America at the All-Star Game in Minneapolis on Tuesday. The No. 2 overall pick in the 1990 Draft by the Tigers, Clark said he was disappointed to see what was happening with Aiken and Nix.

"Our hope going forward is that what we think has happened didn't happen," Clark said. "You can rest assured that the manipulation we think happened in this case is going to lead us to have some conversations that are going to make sure the players receive the support they deserve as a result of the actions that we believe occurred with the Houston Astros."

The Astros have until 4 p.m. CT on Friday to complete a deal with Aiken and Nix. If Houston doesn't sign Aiken, it will receive the No. 2 overall choice in 2015 as compensation as long as it offers him at least 40 percent of his assigned pick value of $7,922,100. Close confirmed that the team has offered Aiken the minimum $3,168,840.

If Aiken attends UCLA, he wouldn't re-enter the Draft until 2017. He could be Draft-eligible in 2015 if he played at a junior college or in an independent professional league. Other options could include pursuing a grievance through the MLBPA or filing a lawsuit.

Since the Draft began in 1965, two No. 1 overall selections have not signed. In 1971, Peoria High (Ill.) catcher Danny Goodwin turned down the White Sox and went first overall again four years later, this time to the Twins, after attending Southern. Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) right-hander Tim Belcher rebuffed the Twins in 1983 and signed with the Yankees as the top choice in the secondary phase of the 1984 January Draft.

Two recent parallels to Aiken's situation happened in the previous four Drafts. In 2010, Texas A&M right-hander Barret Loux agreed to a below-market $2 million bonus as the sixth overall choice by the D-backs, but failed a post-Draft physical. Arizona decided to take the No. 7 pick in 2011 (which would become prized righty Archie Bradley) rather than sign Loux for a reduced amount. After negotiations between MLB and the MLBPA, Loux was declared a free agent and signed with the Rangers for $312,000.

Last year, St. Ignatius High (San Francisco) lefty Matt Krook agreed to terms with the Marlins as a supplemental first-round selection (35th overall) but failed his physical. Under the current Draft rules -- which didn't apply to Loux in previous Collective Bargaining Agreement -- Miami offered him 40 percent of his assigned value and received the 36th pick in the 2014 Draft. Krook went on to attend Oregon, where he had Tommy John surgery this spring.

Multiple baseball sources contacted by MLB.com had a difficult time imagining that MLB would consent to granting Aiken free agency. If he did, estimates on the contract he might receive on the open market started at $25 million to $30 million. When four first-rounders became free agents after teams improperly tendered them contracts in 1996, Matt White ($10.2 million) and Travis Lee ($10 million) received five times the bonus of No. 1 overall pick Kris Benson ($2 million).

As of Tuesday evening, no further talks between Aiken and the Astros had been scheduled. Luhnow expressed hope that his club still would sign Aiken and Nix, though he admitted he didn't know if that would happen.

"We took Brady Aiken with the No. 1 pick in the Draft," Luhnow said. "That's not a pick you play games with. It's absurd that anyone would think that."

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #359: July 16, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »
Nix is really getting screwed in all of this. This is the huge problem that I have with the pools- it makes draft pick signings contingent on other signings which doesn't seem fair when the player is tied to that team only- here Nix agreed to a deal, but because another player may not sign, he may not be able to sign and he has no option to sign with another team.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #360: July 17, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
Apparently we lost Suarez.  Going back to the U.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #361: July 17, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »
We also lose the bonus pool money which means less money for Fedde because the threshold for losing a draft pick will be lower.

I hate this CBA.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #362: July 18, 2014, 03:48:37 AM »
What DA freak. Major injury history. No way to go higher than second round next year.

Do we get two second round picks next season?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #363: July 18, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »
I hate this CBA.

This is the worst draft system of any sport now

Offline blue911

« Reply #364: July 18, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »

That bites

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #365: July 18, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
I've broken out the Fedde discussion into the "Signing Fedde" thread.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #366: July 18, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Cotillo saying Suarez is returning to the U via his Instagram account.  I checked it out, looks legit.  I wasn't too excited for him.  Upside looked to be a four at best, reminded me of Malone or Lannan.  At this point, Solis has a higher upside.

Online RD

« Reply #367: July 18, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
Nix is really getting screwed in all of this. This is the huge problem that I have with the pools- it makes draft pick signings contingent on other signings which doesn't seem fair when the player is tied to that team only- here Nix agreed to a deal, but because another player may not sign, he may not be able to sign and he has no option to sign with another team.

One of the people ive spoken to about Nix is one of the nicer people you'll ever meet. And does not jab one good thing to say about him.

Nothing against Aiken but I hope he heads to college, and Nix doesnt get his money. Interesting enough, Aiken and Nix will both be going to UCLA if that were to happen.

Offline madj55

« Reply #368: July 18, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
^ That's nice of you

Online RD

« Reply #369: July 18, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »
^ That's nice of you

I listed some things earlier about why I feel the way I do about Nix, but there's even more that I didnt post. Hes a kid and could mature into a fine person. But that process hasn't happened yet, and he isnt the type of kid you root for at this stage. It may sound harsh but hes not deserving of that type of money imo.

Offline blue911

« Reply #370: July 18, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »
Astros fail to sign Aiken,Nix and Marshall. It's being reported that Casey Close wouldn't even take their calls. Good job Luhnow.

Offline blue911

« Reply #371: July 18, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
Austin Byler heading back school. Good decision on his part.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #372: July 18, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
Astros fail to sign Aiken,Nix and Marshall. It's being reported that Casey Close wouldn't even take their calls. Good job Luhnow.
I heard that they aren't even sure that Aiken has a UCL at all. Close insisted that Aiken was healthy though. In any case, a disastrous draft for Houston.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #373: July 19, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #374: July 23, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
Suarez, on the phone with the Miami Herald as Friday’s 5 p.m. signing deadline passed, said he was “positive” he made the right decision.

The bottom line, according to Suarez: The Nationals did not offer him more than the slot value of $987,800 for his place as the 57th overall draft pick.

“They said they were just going to offer me slot [value],” Suarez said. “I wasn’t going to sign for slot, and we didn’t agree in negotiations. And that was it, pretty much. I feel like coming back is a good decision for me. I’m going to get my degree and I’ll be a junior, so I can still negotiate.

“I’m feeling stronger than ever — really good — and, hopefully, it stays the same throughout the year. We have unfinished business to take care of. I feel like this could be our year to make it to Omaha.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/18/4243553/pitcher-andrew-suarez-will-return.html#storylink=cpy

meh. bad idea turning down almost $1 Million.