Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2019)  (Read 10945 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2019)
« Reply #100: January 28, 2019, 10:06:58 PM »
So not baking chocolate, but a sweetened variety?

I’d use a semi sweet chocolate.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #101: January 28, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »
I use unsweetened cocoa, which goes great with a couple of smokey chipotles.  The colour is nice too. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #102: January 28, 2019, 10:10:08 PM »
I use unsweetened cocoa, which goes great with a couple of smokey chipotles.  The colour is nice too. 

That’s a pretty traditional Mexican spice in a mole.   I’ve used honey and cinnamon in chili.

• babble on
« Reply #103: January 28, 2019, 10:13:36 PM »
Honey?  Hmmm.  (takes notes...)

Offline imref

« Reply #104: January 28, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »

Yeah. Saw it on a Bobby Flay show. Good way to cut the chipotle heat.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #105: January 28, 2019, 10:17:00 PM »
Honey is a good idea.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #106: January 28, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »

Yes.   I keep it handy for any meal.

• babble on
« Reply #107: January 28, 2019, 10:24:05 PM »
The viscosity of honey is nice too.  I've added brown sugar before, even maple once (not so good), but I'm going to try this. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #108: January 28, 2019, 10:27:55 PM »
So not baking chocolate, but a sweetened variety?

I use chocolate chips- a few at a time- stir when you add them (if you get lazy and they burn on the bottom of the pot before getting incorporated the whole chili is ruined). Look at mole recipes- chololate is a savory ingredient in Mexican sauces

My short cut is corn flour- it thickens the whole thing if you don’t have time to properly reduce it

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #109: January 29, 2019, 06:23:03 AM »
No, I have Hindu friends.  I know damn well beef tastes better, and horse better yet, but turkey it is. 

How else are they going to assimilate unless they start chowing down American style?  :mg:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #110: January 29, 2019, 08:51:52 PM »
How else are they going to assimilate unless they start chowing down American style?  :mg:

Oh, that doesn't mean I don't give them s$%* about it. 

In 2011 I was on a bus with a handful of adults and 20 boy scouts, having just completed 12 days in the Philmont backcountry, we had not had a good meal in a long time.  We found a Ted's Montana Grill that would have us (we didn't smell very good) and my eyes were aglow with the burger menu.  But the pressing question was, could Senthil eat bison?  A quick call to his parents for a ruling, and after some animated discussion he got the clearance to go for it.  He had never had a burger in his life, and this was a half-pounder.  I give the kid credit, he got through about 80% of it before he stopped, and he didn't hurl on the bus back to the airport in Denver.    :hysterical:  And the vultures around him made sure the burger didn't go to waste.

Anyway, lots of people use venison or other meats in chili, its a good way to make a great meal from other than beef.  Turkey is probably a lot healthier and it's inexpensive, and almost as tasty.

• babble on
« Reply #111: January 29, 2019, 09:41:04 PM »
This is the part of 'Murica that doesn't suck  :clap:
But the pressing question was, could Senthil eat bison?  A quick call to his parents for a ruling, and after some animated discussion he got the clearance to go for it.  He had never had a burger in his life, and this was a half-pounder.  I give the kid credit, he got through about 80% of it before he stopped, and he didn't hurl on the bus back to the airport in Denver.    :hysterical:  And the vultures around him made sure the burger didn't go to waste.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #112: February 02, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »
Oh, that doesn't mean I don't give them s$%* about it. 

In 2011 I was on a bus with a handful of adults and 20 boy scouts, having just completed 12 days in the Philmont backcountry, we had not had a good meal in a long time.  We found a Ted's Montana Grill that would have us (we didn't smell very good) and my eyes were aglow with the burger menu.  But the pressing question was, could Senthil eat bison?  A quick call to his parents for a ruling, and after some animated discussion he got the clearance to go for it.  He had never had a burger in his life, and this was a half-pounder.  I give the kid credit, he got through about 80% of it before he stopped, and he didn't hurl on the bus back to the airport in Denver.    :hysterical:  And the vultures around him made sure the burger didn't go to waste.

Anyway, lots of people use venison or other meats in chili, its a good way to make a great meal from other than beef.  Turkey is probably a lot healthier and it's inexpensive, and almost as tasty.

A turkey chili recipe (from WTOP.com);

https://recipes.oregonlive.com/recipes/game-day-turkey-chili

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #113: February 03, 2019, 07:09:54 PM »
A turkey chili recipe (from WTOP.com);

https://recipes.oregonlive.com/recipes/game-day-turkey-chili

Turkey and chili just seems so lame...

I mean, why not go all the way and do vegan chili ?

Tofu, etc.

Offline imref

« Reply #114: February 03, 2019, 07:11:59 PM »
Made beef chili tonight with chipotle peppers.  Also steamed some wings in the instapot and finished them off under the broiler.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #115: February 03, 2019, 07:15:27 PM »
Made beef chili tonight with chipotle peppers.  Also steamed some wings in the instapot and finished them off under the broiler.

You're totally accumulating more man points than DCFan at this point.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #116: February 03, 2019, 09:20:52 PM »
Ms1995hoo is unhappy because she says I made the chili too hot. I barely got any heat from it.

But the cornbread was outstanding. (From scratch)

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #117: February 03, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »
Ms1995hoo is unhappy because she says I made the chili too hot. I barely got any heat from it.

Chicks simply cannot handle spicy food.  It's an established fact...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #118: February 03, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
I just don’t think it was all that spicy this year. Ground beef, pork chorizo, tomatoes, chipotles, onion, garlic, chili powder, corn kernels, black beans, ground cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #119: February 15, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »
For Christmas my parents gave us a big set of steaks from Allen Brothers. So last night I decided to cook the strip steaks (12 oz each), but I didn't want to grill because of the poor lighting even though I have a lamp I pull outside to shine directly onto the grill. Instead, I had read something about reverse-searing a steak and I decided to try that. One benefit is that the time the steak spends on the stove is minimal such that in theory there ought to be less smoke, which is important in our kitchen during the winter because we have the windows covered with a Frost King insulating film so we can't open them.

Here is the recipe/instructions: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/10/reverse-seared-steak-recipe.html

Couple of notes based on my experience:

(1) I did the dry brine with the salt and pepper. Thawed the steaks overnight Tuesday in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator. Wednesday night after dinner I took them out of the wrappers, gave them a quick rinse, patted them dry, waited a while, then seasoned them with Himalayan pink salt and black pepper and set them on a wire rack atop a plate in the refrigerator.

(2) Thursday night I took them out about 45 minutes before I planned to cook. I didn't have a suitable rimmed baking sheet, so I lined a cookie sheet with foil (to protect it from scratches and grease), turned up the edges of the foil to make a sort of rim, and set a durable wire rack on the foil. I seasoned the steaks on both sides with Penzey's Chicago steak seasoning.

(3) The recipe suggests a range of oven temperatures. I selected 250°. Next time I think I'd use 275° to speed things up. If I had a convection oven, I would use that feature too (our toaster oven has it, but I was using the toaster oven for the potatoes we had as a side dish).

(4) The time estimates on the page linked above are just that—ESTIMATES. I wanted our meat medium-rare, so based on the recipe suggesting 20 minutes for rare I set a timer for 22:30. That wasn't close to long enough. I took the steaks out of the oven after 22:30 and stuck in a meat thermometer and they were at 85°. It took another 15 minutes to reach the 110°–115° range. (Obviously, ovens vary, and if you use convection that ought to speed it up a bit too. In the scheme of things, I'd rather set the timer for too short a time and undercook the meat because you can't undo it if you overcook it.)

(5) Our only cast iron pan wasn't suitable for searing the meat because it's a grill pan and it takes forever to heat, so I used our biggest stainless steel pan for the searing. I also used peanut oil instead of canola oil. I waited to preheat the pan until I took the steaks out of the oven so the meat could rest a bit. Got the pan and the oil nice and hot (judged by holding my hand near the surface) and I then melted a bit more than a tablespoon of butter (a bit more because we were near the end of a stick, so I just threw in the whole amount that was left), put in the steaks, and put a spatter screen on top. Seared them for one minute on each side. I didn't get tons of smoke. Got some, but not enough to be a problem or to set off the smoke alarm.

It turned out great. Ms1995hoo felt these were the best steaks I've ever cooked. I'm not sure I agree—I think the cedar-planked filet mignon was better, but for a winter preparation this method was hard to beat. For sides we had some Wegmans frozen potatoes au gratin that you heat in the oven or toaster oven for half an hour and a salad Ms1995hoo made. Most importantly, we also had an outstanding Fox Meadow Winery 2012 Merlot that was excellent and was also right about at the point where it was time to drink it now.

This was Wednesday night prior to the overnight refrigeration with the dry brine:

Trying to upload other pictures but am having a problem.

• babble on
« Reply #120: February 15, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »
That pink salt is amazing.  You would think that salt was salt...but no, the pink stuff has elf magic

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #121: February 15, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »
So how is pink salt any different than any other salt ?

That pink salt is amazing.  You would think that salt was salt...but no, the pink stuff has elf magic

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #122: February 15, 2019, 10:35:36 PM »
Shoo - try putting Lawry's Seasoned Pepper in soy sauce for 30-60 minutes
Then marinade steak (or pork chops) for 2-5 min on each side & grill

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123: February 15, 2019, 11:00:50 PM »
So how is pink salt any different than any other salt ?

The color...

It has some different minerals (in trace amounts) in it other than sodium, which gives it a different color and taste. But it’s still almost all sodium chloride, so it’s not much healthier. 

But if you want to know how salt isn’t just salt, watch the second episode of “Salt, Fat, Acid Heat.”  It’s amazing. The whole show is actually amazing. Samin Nosrat is delightful in it. 

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #124: February 15, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
The color...

It has some different minerals (in trace amounts) in it other than sodium, which gives it a different color and taste. But it’s still almost all sodium chloride, so it’s not much healthier. 

But if you want to know how salt isn’t just salt, watch the second episode of “Salt, Fat, Acid Heat.”  It’s amazing. The whole show is actually amazing. Samin Nosrat is delightful in it. 

It's impurities in the salt, in other words.