Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Rockies vs Nationals, Game 1 (L)  (Read 15108 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
_______.................vs................._________
........Jeff Francis; 4-5, 3.86 ERA................Ramon Ortiz; 5-4, 4.83 ERA

With Jose Guillen 's bat back in the lineup and Ramon Ortiz 's resurgence on the mound, the Washington Nationals appear ready to continue their challenge in the NL East.

The Nationals (30-34) look for their fourth straight win over Colorado when they meet the Rockies in the start of a four-game series at RFK Stadium on Monday.

Washington swept Colorado in a three-game series in Denver from Aug. 12-14, outscoring the Rockies 33-4. The Nationals look for similar offensive numbers this time around and try to continue a recent stretch of good play.

With a 6-0 defeat of Philadelphia on Sunday, Washington took three of four from the Phillies and has won 14 of 19 overall. The Nationals start play tied for third with the Braves in the division. Both teams are four games behind second-place Philadelphia and 10 in back of the NL East-leading New York Mets .

Guillen, who led Washington with 24 homers and 76 RBIs a year ago, went 2-for-3 with two doubles and two RBIs on Sunday in his first start since May 25.

''The first one was a real confidence-builder, the first time up today,'' Robinson said of Guillen, who was activated from the disabled list Saturday after missing time with a left hamstring strain. ''To get the big hit there and get us started in the third inning was a big confidence-builder. ... To get a lead early was a good feeling.''

To keep that good feeling going, Ortiz (5-4, 4.83 ERA) looks to become first Nationals pitcher to win six consecutive starts since Livan Hernandez from April 24-May 19, 2005.

Since losing to Atlanta on May 12, Ortiz has allowed 13 runs with 25 strikeouts and just seven walks in 32 1-3 innings. He limited the Braves to two runs and six hits over 6 2-3 innings Wednesday in the Nationals' 5-2 win.

''It's something nobody could predict,'' Robinson said of Ortiz, who was 0-4 with a 6.30 ERA in his first seven starts. ''It's been enjoyable to watch. It's been unbelievable. Really. He's a different person.''

A nine-game winner with Cincinnati last season, Ortiz is 3-0 with a 4.29 ERA in his career against the Rockies (30-32), who will counter with Jeff Francis (4-5, 3.86) as he looks for his first road win in four starts.

The left-hander got the win in Colorado's 5-4 victory over Pittsburgh on Tuesday, but has not fared well on the road recently. In his last three starts away from Coors Field, Francis has been tagged for 13 runs and 17 hits in 17 2-3 innings.

He has yet to face Washington in his career.

Colorado lost for the 13th time in 18 games on Sunday in a 6-5 defeat to the Los Angeles Dodgers . Closer Brian Fuentes gave up Russell Martin 's tying RBI double and a pinch-hit RBI single to Sandy Alomar Jr.

''I'll take Tito (Fuentes) out there any day because he's one of the best,'' Colorado manager Clint Hurdle said after Fuentes blew his second save in 15 opportunities this season. ''It was a tough game to lose.''

COLORADO
1.  J. Carroll 2B .319
2.  C. Sullivan CF .265
3.  T. Helton 1B .267
4.  M. Holliday LF .339
5.  G. Atkins 3B .326
6.  B. Hawpe RF .306
7.  J. Closser C .208
8.  C. Barmes SS .208
9.  J. Francis P .125

WASHINGTON
1.  A. Soriano LF .302
2.  R. Clayton SS .262
3.  J. Vidro 2B .313
4.  N. Johnson 1B .303
5.  R. Zimmerman 3B .267
6.  J. Guillen RF .220
7.  B. Schneider C .242
8.  M. Byrd CF .224
9.  R. Ortiz P .080

Time edges ever so closer to the upcoming "Rock Concert" with the Nats headlining.....

And Carroll gets a lead off hit.  Damn, I miss that guy.

Offline PC

Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
And Carroll gets a lead off hit.  Damn, I miss that guy.

He's going to be a pain in our collective asses this series.  :x

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Quote from: "Jamey Carroll"
What now, nages?

Offline PC

Who is Mike Vento is back up.

Mr. Helton, whats the first letter after the letter J?

K[/color]

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Come on Ortiz, you're geting your pitch count u high

gozimm

Quote from: "PC"

For who?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
one inning out of the way...now it's our turn.   :D

Offline The Chief

Sorry champ, this is east coast ball!!  That swing isn't even a long out here! :lol:

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
he threw 28 pitches that inning. we'll need some 1-2-3 innings for to make it to the 7th.

Offline Dave B

that was difficult

Offline PC

Quote from: "gozimm"
Quote from: "PC"

For who?

I don't know.  I can't find him mentioned anywhere.

Offline Dave B

i cant wait til BH Kim pitches. I wanna see his patented HR spin, where he whirls about on one leg with his arms  flailing out wide.  I saw the highlight from one of bonds HR and BK did his spin and I was like "I've seen that before.  Scott Brosius and Tino Martinez HRs.  Thats BK"

Offline Dave B

Het vidro, you suck. Cyberheckling

Offline Dave B

hey check out what I posted in the "what do we do?" thread. I mention vidro's pop ups to third base becoming a problem.  Add those to first base as well, when he is batting right handed.  Worthless POS

Offline Dave B

"I think I speak for all of us when I say 'You're popups are becoming a problem'"

Offline PC

Otiz's pitch count is 28.  Their pitcher's is 13.

Offline The Chief

Anybody remember our embarassing homestand against the Rockies last year?  I do.

Offline PC

Quote from: "Dave B"
"I think I speak for all of us when I say 'You're popups are becoming a problem'"

Vidro should not be batting third, simply.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Quote from: "The Chief"
Anybody remember our embarassing homestand against the Rockies last year?  I do.
\

Yeah. teh rockies were horrible on the road lst year and the announcers kept thinking this series was going take us out of our smd half slump, but it only made things worse.
They took 2 of 3 didn't they?

Offline Dave B

i remember Jamey carroll pinch hitting with the bases loaded, down 1 and 1 out, and GIDP'd to end it.  probably his only GIDP of the season

Offline Dave B

nice and quick

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
KK for Ramon!   :twisted: