Author Topic: 2022 first year player draft  (Read 8575 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2022 first year player draft
« Reply #100: July 04, 2022, 04:39:15 PM »
I'll ask the obvious question here. How do you justify the pick of Parada as fast moving when they have Ruiz at his first year full time.behind the dish?  Yes I know it isn't the NFL in terms of drafting and you typically take the best player regardless of position but I have a real hard time spending a top 5 pick on a guy who will need to move and is billed for being a great backstop. And I'm certainly not moving Ruiz.
They'd move Parada. Probably to first base. Maybe to LF. Defensively Parada is meh. Both Adams and Ruiz are much better receivers and have better arms.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #101: July 04, 2022, 08:25:48 PM »
Would be bummed about Parada over both Johnson and Brooks Lee in this scenario.

Would Lee be another quick-to-the-majors guy?  House has one slot among 2nd, SS, and 3rd, and figure Garcia may have another, but there's at least one slot open.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #102: July 04, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
Are the college hitters just not worth high picks this year?

Is the idea behind parada that he's quick to the majors? That's the reboot vs rebuild, which always struck me as pr bs. This team goes nowhere until House and this pick are ready.

Found an answer on BA to this question:

After a down year in 2021, the college hitting looks strong in the 2022 class. Currently six of the top 10 players in the class are college hitters and the group has a strong combination of hitting for both average and power, with a number of players who project to stick in the infield or have a chance to play up the middle in the outfield.

Brooks Lee, Jace Jung, Chase DeLauter, Jacob Berry, Brock Jones and Gavin Cross have a strong mix of production, tools and impact that the top hitting group from the 2021 class didn’t have entering the year.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #103: July 04, 2022, 10:08:45 PM »
Would Lee be another quick-to-the-majors guy?  House has one slot among 2nd, SS, and 3rd, and figure Garcia may have another, but there's at least one slot open.

I think so. He’s the son of the Cal Poly coach and has insane bat to ball skills, almost never strikes out, and batted over .400 on the Cape last year. He might end up at third base.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #104: July 04, 2022, 11:30:48 PM »
People on this board seem to be pretty skeptical of parada and I’m not sure why.  If you look at how his offensive numbers stack up compared to the rest of D1 his bat plays anywhere. Period. 

If he can be an mlb caliber catcher that’s not a logjam it’s a bank account.  The dodgers were able to get Scherzer and Turner because they had the luxury of having smith, Ruiz, AND Cartaya.  Top flight catching prospects are really valuable, even if you can only have one catcher on the field. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #105: July 04, 2022, 11:36:31 PM »
It's because of where the Nats draft and how these mocks shake out. It's just about Parada against whoever goes 6. Would you take Parada over Lee or Termarr?

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #106: July 08, 2022, 02:47:06 PM »
It's because of where the Nats draft and how these mocks shake out. It's just about Parada against whoever goes 6. Would you take Parada over Lee or Termarr?

Absolutely not over Termarr. Potentially the best player in the draft.

Offline Lazarchick 31

« Reply #107: July 08, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »
They'd move Parada. Probably to first base. Maybe to LF. Defensively Parada is meh. Both Adams and Ruiz are much better receivers and have better arms.

I get that part but I guess my question is, is his bat THAT good?  It is an honest question as I'm not too knowledgeable of him particularly.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108: July 08, 2022, 03:12:46 PM »
I get that part but I guess my question is, is his bat THAT good?  It is an honest question as I'm not too knowledgeable of him particularly.

Not sure if I've posted this. A lot to be excited about with Parada! I just like 4 other players more :lol: I can't find anything really breaking down his defense and if he projects more as a 1B.

Kevin Parada
Georgia Tech C
Notes:
HT: 6-1 | Wt: 210 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 20.9
BA Grade: 60/High

Tools: Hit: 65. Power: 60. Run: 45. Field: 45. Arm: 45.

there's more in the write up in the original post.  I'm not sure of KevRock's source for the post, but "Hit 65 Power 60" sounds like a pretty good bat.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #109: July 08, 2022, 03:29:11 PM »
there's more in the write up in the original post.  I'm not sure of KevRock's source for the post, but "Hit 65 Power 60" sounds like a pretty good bat.
MLB pipeline

Offline Slateman

« Reply #110: July 08, 2022, 03:29:35 PM »
Is DeLauter just free falling out of the top 5 at this point

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #111: July 08, 2022, 10:16:23 PM »
Is DeLauter just free falling out of the top 5 at this point

I've seen some mocks with him in the 20s.  Apparently getting injured in a season in which he had nothing much to prove is somehow a travesty.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #112: July 12, 2022, 07:02:41 AM »
Keith Law was on Grant and Danny's podcast. He had the Nats taking Parada. Claimed he had talked with sources in thr Nats front office that said they would take Parada over Lee

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #113: July 12, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
Well that I don't understand at all, lol

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #114: July 12, 2022, 09:52:25 AM »
Lee is a switch hitter who will stay in the infield, crushed the Cape and Team USA. He was a top 50 pick out of High School if he didn't want to play for his dad, who is a hitting guru. Just a weird take there but I'm an idiot on the internet and not a professional scout

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #115: July 12, 2022, 09:53:46 AM »
Where the hell is @RD. Get in here man, you always had great draft takes.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #116: July 12, 2022, 10:46:30 AM »
We're trusting what Keith Law says now?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117: July 12, 2022, 11:41:37 AM »
Where the hell is @RD. Get in here man, you always had great draft takes.
It's funny - he's stopped by but hasn't posted.  Maybe start a thread,

"Wanted: RD's view!"

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #118: July 12, 2022, 03:30:20 PM »
I’m hoping he’s a Parada fan to get some lively balance in here lol

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #119: July 12, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »
Callis on the pitching crop

In terms of pitchers, there never has been a Draft more confusing than this one.

We're five days away from the Orioles exercising the No. 1 overall pick, and clubs still aren't sure what to make of the pitching crop or which arms will go where in the first round. It's possible that teams pop hitters with each of the first 10 selections, something that hasn't happened since the Draft began in 1965. It's a good bet that at least 20 of the 30 first-round choices will be spent on position players.

Injuries have taken a toll on the 2022 pitching class. Alabama left-hander Connor Prielipp was a potential No. 1 overall pick until he had Tommy John surgery in May 2021. Possible first-rounders Reggie Crawford (Connecticut), Peyton Pallette (Arkansas) and Henry Williams (Duke) had their elbows reconstructed during the offseason.

Two more likely college first-rounders, Hunter Barco (Florida) and Landon Sims (Mississippi State), met the same fate after getting hurt this season. Buford (Ga.) HS right-hander Dylan Lesko, who looked like a lock to be the first pitcher selected, and Boerne (Texas) HS righty Cole Phillips, who hit 100 mph with his fastball early in the year, both had Tommy John surgery in April.

Cade Horton and Kumar Rocker also add to the uncertainty. Horton was spectacular in the college postseason and led Oklahoma to the College World Series finals after having had his elbow reconstructed in February 2021. Rocker, who went 10th overall to the Mets a year ago only to see a $6 million bonus agreement blow up after his post-Draft physical, showcased premium stuff in the independent Frontier League. He also released medical records to teams that revealed he had shoulder surgery last September.

Horton's late surge is intriguing, but a track record of five strong college starts and a reportedly high price tag make it difficult to discern where he'll land. The same is true of Rocker, who made an encouraging return to the mound but still comes with concerns about his shoulder and elbow.

St. Mary's Prep (Orchard Lake, Mich.) right-hander Brock Porter, Gatorade's national high school player of the year, now is the favorite to be the first pitcher off the board, perhaps as high as No. 11 to the Mets. There's some buzz that Prielipp could sneak into the top 10 after an impressive albeit brief workout at the Draft Combine on June 17, though he's more likely to get plucked in the teens. Oregon State left-hander Cooper Hjerpe, who led NCAA Division I with 161 strikeouts in 103 1/3 innings, figures to go first among college arms without health questions and could land with the Angels at No. 13.

On Sunday at 7 p.m. ET, we'll get to see how all of this plays out.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #120: July 12, 2022, 07:10:09 PM »
The BA Draft Edition is out. Man this is a fun one. :lol:

I'll try to post some summaries of the articles as I have time.

-The overall trend is less college pitchers in the first round in general (even with this draft class aside). College pitchers were the most popular category of player drafted the last 3 decades, but is not behind college hitters and high school hitters. This is due to slot values (HS players have more leverage and are thus costlier), the fact that teams are better at identifying successful batters, and opportunity cost.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #122: July 13, 2022, 02:29:09 PM »
Some buzz Termarr would sign under slot to go 1-1. In that scenario, Druw Jones goes 1-2 and Holliday is available for Texas at 1-3. It would be interesting to see if Brooks Lee could slide to us. Gets us a fast moving bat but with a different profile.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #123: July 13, 2022, 04:38:27 PM »
MLB pipeline

I think I got that from BA actually.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #124: July 13, 2022, 06:50:09 PM »
Some buzz Termarr would sign under slot to go 1-1. In that scenario, Druw Jones goes 1-2 and Holliday is available for Texas at 1-3. It would be interesting to see if Brooks Lee could slide to us. Gets us a fast moving bat but with a different profile.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joedoylemilb/status/1547346052985937920?s=21&t=mwDzLondyzH7gichxSw8yg

Don't be surprised if one of Jones, Johnson, Holliday or Green end up campus.
A lot of "firm" numbers being thrown around at the top of the draft. If a player tumbles, it can be almost impossible to get back to that asking price.

Most of these players come from affluent families.

It takes a wrench or two up top to send things spiraling.