Author Topic: WPOST: Ryan Church's Brother Deploys To Iraq  (Read 679 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
WPOST: Ryan Church's Brother Deploys To Iraq
« Topic Start: March 09, 2007, 06:45:38 AM »
Brother's Departure for Iraq Weighs On Church's Family
By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 9, 2007; E01
LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/08/AR2007030801955.html

VIERA, Fla., March 8 -- Thursday afternoon was officially Armed Forces Appreciation day at Space Coast Stadium, and the Washington Nationals marked the occasion by wearing blue camouflage hats in their 12-5 victory over the Houston Astros. When it was over, Ryan Church arrived in the home clubhouse, took off that homage to the military, sat on a stool at his locker and thought about his little brother.

"It's tough," Church said. "It's tough not to get caught up in it and worry about that stuff. But you know what? The man upstairs has got a plan, and if something happens to him, he'll be taken care of."

Matthew Church is a member of the Army's Special Forces unit. On Sunday he will leave behind his baby boy -- just a few days shy of his first birthday -- and deploy to Tikrit, Iraq. He is not due to return until October, the entire expanse of the baseball season.

Ryan Church came here last month to prove that he deserved the job Nationals Manager Manny Acta bestowed upon him: starting left fielder. To this point, he has just two hits in 13 at-bats. He said Thursday, when he had the day off, that he is searching to find his timing. Acta, though, won't waver. Even with Chris Snelling, Alex Escobar and Kory Casto potential left fielders in waiting, Acta reiterated that his starting outfield will be Church in left, Nook Logan in center and Austin Kearns in right.

"They could go 0 for the rest of the games in spring training," Acta said. "Those are the guys who are going to start the year here."

In a way, that has put Church's mind at ease, though he wants to guard against any level of comfort. "Nothing against Manny," Church said. "But I can't afford to think of it that way."

Most springs, this would be the central story line for the Church family of Lompoc, Calif., because the second of Karen and Gary Church's three sons has been battling to get to -- and then stick in -- the majors since 2000, his first year out of the University of Nevada. Would Ryan make the team, as he did in 2005? Or would he be sent down, as he was in 2006?

This year, their thoughts are about to be transported from this planned community on the side of Interstate 95 to the town where Saddam Hussein was born, nearly 6,900 miles farther away. It is the moment Karen Church has dreaded since that day in the summer of 2003 when she and her husband were watching Ryan play Class AA ball in Akron, Ohio, and Matthew called to tell them the news: The paperwork was signed. He was enlisting in the Army.

"I cried," Karen Church said by phone Thursday.

In some ways, Matthew's choice was predictable. Karen and Ryan said the Church's youngest child grew up playing with toy guns, painting his face in camouflage and storming around the neighborhood at night, enlisting the other kids in war games. As he grew older, he became addicted to paintball. For a time, after high school, Karen thought Matthew might become a police officer.

Instead, he chose the Army.

"We don't have many military people in our family," Karen Church said. "This is all kind of new for us. But he knows what he wants. He's very bright. He's been trained by the best. That's what we keep telling ourselves, that he's been trained by the best."

That, Ryan Church said, offers even the smallest bit of comfort. But even in a short conversation, it is clear that the 28-year-old is prepared for the worst, because he knows it is not safe, "especially with what's going on daily over there," he said.

"A day doesn't go by when you're not thinking about it," Church said. "This is what he's been trained to do and this is what he wants to do. All I can do is just hope and pray and everything's going to be fine and he's back alive."

The Churches will be able to keep in touch with Matthew by phone and e-mail, and Matthew's wife, Courtney, and their son Matthew II will move from Colorado Springs, where Matthew has been training, to Lompoc. And Karen Church will suck in a deep breath, and perhaps not exhale until October.

"I'm not going to lie," Karen Church said. "I'm going to worry every day. But I'll pray, too. I'll do that every day."

As he sat Thursday morning in front of his locker discussing his place on the Nationals and in the majors, Ryan Church's locker stood in front of him. In it was a small coin given to him by his brother, the coin representing his unit, one often used to determine who buys drinks at a bar. The last member of the unit to pull the coin from his pocket, Church said, might be stuck buying a round.

When he gets to Washington, Ryan intends to bring the coin to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, to show it to some of the troops there, to lift some spirits.

With the coin, though, Matthew sent his older brother a letter. Ryan said Matthew wrote: "This might be the last thing you get from me."

"You never know," Ryan Church said. On Friday he will travel down I-95 to Fort Lauderdale for an exhibition game, a road trip. On Sunday his brother will leave for what, right now, is the only trip that matters to the Church family.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Re: WPOST: Ryan Church's Brother Deploys To Iraq
« Reply #1: March 09, 2007, 07:29:02 PM »
Ryan Church's Unique Training
March 8, 2007 12:35 am
BY TODD JACOBSON
Fredericksburg Freelance Star
LINK: http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/032007/03082007/265683

Nationals outfielder Ryan Church holds two cards about 18 inches from his face and stares them down like an opposing pitcher.

He hasn't yet arrived at Space Coast Stadium yet. Hasn't pulled on a jersey or grabbed a bat or a ball.

He's sitting at home, and as he does for a few minutes every morning, he's working to fine-tune one of baseball's most overlooked tools: the eyes.

"You lift weights, and you do stuff with your hands, but when it comes down to your eyes, if you can't see the ball you aren't going to hit it," Church said.

So as Church focuses on the pair of shimmering landscapes, he might as well be standing in the batter's box waiting for a fastball, curveball or a changeup to come hurtling toward him.

At least that's the idea.

"If I am looking out at a pitcher and looking at the rotation right out of his hand, I can pick up the ball earlier and actually it slows the game down," Church said.

Missing Ball's Rotation
Church, 28, says he has 20-20 vision. He's never worn glasses. Never needed contacts.

But last year was tough for the once-promising prospect. He didn't make the Nationals' opening day roster and was humbled by stops in Double-A and Triple-A. He hit .276 with 10 homers and 35 RBIs in 71 big league games, but he continued to struggle hitting breaking balls and offspeed pitches.

When he was referred by Nationals officials to optometrist Bill Harrison, one of the pioneers in baseball vision training, he was open to anything.

What Church found was startling. Though he could read an eye chart with ease, he wasn't truly seeing a baseball.

He lifted weights and spent hours in the batting cage, but he took his eyes for granted.

"Everyone talks about seeing the ball, but it's the least worked-on thing in baseball," said Nationals outfielder George Lombard, who also works with Harrison. "Everything else, you go out and hit and try to strengthen everything else, but you don't work on your eyes."

That's where Harrison comes in. He worked with Church and Lombard on a Nationals road trip in Arizona last season, and lists more than 30 major leaguer players as his clients. He evaluated the Nationals before the 2005 season and now works with the Atlanta Braves.

"The game is so physical and mechanical and from the moment these guys are in Little League or high school, it's all about working harder on technique and mechanics. They don't think about the eyes," Harrison said. "But they are a factor and we give them an easy solution."

A new kind of training
In addition to the cards Church uses, which actually help relax the tension in the muscles around his eyes so he can be alert at the plate, there are a multitude of exercises players can work on.

When Church worked with Harrison last year, he tossed him tennis balls with numbers written on them. While they rotated, Church had to identify the numbers--kind of like trying to identify the spin on a curveball or slider.

Church also stood in front of a board with dozens of jumbled numbers and had to quickly scan the board, going from one to 50 as fast as possible.

Harrison also works with players on visualization techniques, helping them imagine a perfect swing or perfect catch, and encourages players to focus on a pitcher's release point while in the on-deck circle. That way, they can pick up pitches quicker when they're in the batter's box.

"It's about teaching the athlete how to see things more quickly," Harrison said. "A lot of people see things, but they don't register it quick enough and when they do register it they don't register the details."

Making Converts
Harrison has been working with baseball players since 1972, when Royals owner Ewing Kaufmann became intrigued with the idea of vision training.

Jack McKeon, who most recently led the Marlins to the 2003 World Series title, was managing the Royals at the time of Kaufmann's infatuation with the training. So was Braves general manager John Schuerholz and former Pirates and Orioles GM Syd Thrift.

They all became converts, and so, too, did Nationals general manager Jim Bowden. He worked with the Pirates when Thrift was Pittsburgh's general manager, and met Harrison in the mid-1980s.

"I watched the improvement it made on players over the years," Bowden said. "It's a critical part of the game."

But quantifying how much vision training helps is difficult. There are no before-and-after studies, though Harrison said there is no doubt it helps almost every player who works hard to improve his eyesight.

George Brett, Tony Gwynn and Barry Bonds have each worked with Harrison and each is a proponent of vision training. The same goes for Sean Casey, David Dellucci, Jason Larue and Shawn Green.

Former Nationals outfielder Jose Guillen credited the training with turning his career around. He worked with Harrison before the 2003 season on his depth perception and hit a career-high 31 homers while batting .311 with the Reds and Athletics.

Evaluating Vision
The results from vision training have been enough to convince Bowden.

"You just watch players' performances," Bowden said. "There's been a lot of guys that you can check their depth perception and have them do different exercises and strengthen the muscles there and all the sudden it improves. Then you see them hitting the breaking ball better. You see them staying on the changeup better. Their walks improve. Their on-base percentage gets a little better. It's definitely tangible."

And it's definitely important. The Nationals don't draft a player without a vision evaluation, and they don't make free agency decisions without it either.

"It's just a part of it though," Bowden said. "There are so many different parts to evaluating different players."

Church won't know until the season starts how much the vision training has helped him, or how much it will help his batting average climb. However, he said he's already able to recognize pitches quicker, especially the offspeed pitches that befuddled him in years past, and he's gained confidence.

That, in itself, is a big help.

"I was really just in awe of the whole thing," Church said. "There are so many different resources out there. They are all just untapped. When you think about it, you need your eyes to hit. That's one of the biggest things. To have someone have something this easy, to be able to train your eyes just like that, I think it's going to be huge."

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: March 09, 2007, 09:34:51 PM »
Ryan's off to a slow start this spring, but it's still early.  He's been drawing walks at a nice clip, but I'm sure he'd prefer to be driving the ball hard instead.  I'm glad Acta is showing patience, I think it is helpful in providing some space for Church and many other guys to find their stride.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #3: March 09, 2007, 10:32:43 PM »
"They could go 0 for the rest of the games in spring training," Acta said. "Those are the guys who are going to start the year here."  ..."Nothing against Manny," Church said. "But I can't afford to think of it that way."

Thank Jobu that somebody has enough sense to figure THAT out.  If Manny is not going to put his best players on the field, then we need to seriously begin thinking about making, um... Ryan Church the manager...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: March 10, 2007, 01:02:49 AM »
Bests to Church and his brother...especially the latter.  Bush's war will end someday.

Anyone remember Church's grand slam??  Last April, I think.  Awesome