Author Topic: General MLB News (2024)  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: General MLB News (2024)
« Reply #75: April 30, 2024, 01:14:47 PM »
Seems Castellanos should have been involved in that game somehow.
He kills a lot of rallies

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #76: April 30, 2024, 07:49:09 PM »
Trout with knee surgery.  He cant catch a break.  Caught a tear though. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: May 01, 2024, 10:00:24 AM »
quite the story in Arizona last night. A swarm of bees parked themselves on the netting behind home plate, delaying the start of the game until a beekeeper could arrive and remove them.

The beekeeper then got to throw out the first pitch.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dodgers-diamondbacks-bee-delay?partnerId=it-20240501-9728503-mlb-1-A

Once Hilton arrived at the ballpark, he was ushered into a cart and driven onto the field, where he received a standing ovation from the crowd.

"I wasn't [expecting that],” Hilton said. “I thought I was just going to do my thing and cruise out. But it was fun."

Indeed, he played to the crowd, waving his arms for them to make more noise. As the scissor lift took him up toward where the bees were gathered, Bonnie Tyler's “Holding Out for a Hero” blared over the public address system.

Hilton sprayed the bees with a non-pesticide and removed them into a vacuum for later release.

After he did that and the scissor lift lowered him down, the crowd began to chant, “M-V-P! M-V-P!”

"It was a little nerve-wracking, I'm not going to lie,” Hilton said. “Lot of pressure to get this game going. But I was happy to come and take care of it."

Hilton’s work, though, was not done for the evening, as he was asked to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. He then did media interviews and appeared on multiple broadcasts. His phone began to blow up as he heard from family and friends who saw him on TV.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #78: May 01, 2024, 10:23:51 AM »
He said he got the call at his kids t ball game.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #79: May 01, 2024, 10:30:51 PM »
Who would of thought on May 1 the Astros would be 3.5 games behind the Athletics?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #80: May 02, 2024, 10:43:39 AM »
After years of Philly fans coming down to DC to harass Nats fans when the Phils are in town and booing Ryan Zimmerman when he got his silver slugger award on opening day, it warms my heart the Knicks fans overtook the Philly arena in the basketball playoffs and harassed the Philly fans. Supposedly the knicks fans were going around the concourse at the 76ers arena and yelling expletives at the Philly fans. The Eagles fans have also come to Fedex Field and were obnoxious so good for Knicks fans. Josh Harris and his fellow 76ers owners bought 2,000 tickets to block the knicks fans from coming back.

Offline imref

« Reply #81: May 02, 2024, 02:44:12 PM »
After years of Philly fans coming down to DC to harass Nats fans when the Phils are in town and booing Ryan Zimmerman when he got his silver slugger award on opening day, it warms my heart the Knicks fans overtook the Philly arena in the basketball playoffs and harassed the Philly fans. Supposedly the knicks fans were going around the concourse at the 76ers arena and yelling expletives at the Philly fans. The Eagles fans have also come to Fedex Field and were obnoxious so good for Knicks fans. Josh Harris and his fellow 76ers owners bought 2,000 tickets to block the knicks fans from coming back.
i heard Brunson was getting a loud "MVP" chant.

Offline wj73

« Reply #82: May 02, 2024, 03:21:18 PM »
I will never ever forgive Phillies fans for that Opening Day.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #83: May 02, 2024, 03:23:05 PM »
You poor things. If only DC had some tough crowds.  We could have better teams.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #84: May 02, 2024, 04:11:06 PM »
2010 opening day was pretty amazing...77 busloads of Phans who were pretty much staggering drunk before noon plus security for POTY, what could possibly go wrong?

Offline imref

« Reply #85: May 02, 2024, 04:13:23 PM »
Mike Yastrzemski hit a homer at Fenway.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #86: May 02, 2024, 05:47:09 PM »
You poor things. If only DC had some tough crowds.  We could have better teams.

Not sure what that means. I thinking an obnoxious fan base doesn't helps a team win. Lets hope Washington fans never become as obnoxious as Philadelphia fans.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #87: May 02, 2024, 09:13:08 PM »
Lets hope Washington fans never become as obnoxious as Philadelphia fans.

I think you're safe with that...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #88: May 02, 2024, 09:32:31 PM »
I think you're safe with that...
The funny thing is the Sixers owner is trying to keep visiting fans out. Stan Kasten encouraged it for the Nats.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #89: May 02, 2024, 09:48:07 PM »
Not sure what that means. I thinking an obnoxious fan base doesn't helps a team win. Lets hope Washington fans never become as obnoxious as Philadelphia fans.
It just means the DC fan base is soft.   But you already knew that.
:hysterical:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #90: May 02, 2024, 10:27:06 PM »
Hurricanes also trying to keep out the hordes from NYC.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rangers-hurricanes-playoff-tickets-pnc-005008569.html

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #91: May 03, 2024, 06:46:16 AM »
It just means the DC fan base is soft.   

Good thing too - I'm sure we don't want that UK soccer fans experience at Nats Park... ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #92: May 03, 2024, 07:42:25 AM »
Good thing too - I'm sure we don't want that UK soccer fans experience at Nats Park... ;)
Plenty of hooligans here. But they’re all in Congress.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #93: May 03, 2024, 07:53:17 AM »
Plenty of hooligans here. But they’re all in Congress.
one of my favorite Simpsons moments was when Willie and some Scots in the stands of a soccer game said something like, "ach, you call that soccer hooliganism, we'll show you" and started a brawl.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #94: May 03, 2024, 10:10:21 AM »
It just means the DC fan base is soft.   But you already knew that.

Again, not sure what you mean by soft. A fan of another team can come into Nats Park or Fedex field wearing their teams apparel and feel completely safe and enjoy rooting for their team without hearing crap from Nats fans. Now if you come into my stadium and start to interact with me when your team starts winning that's another thing. Now you're affecting my experience I paid money for. I was at a Redskins game against the Giants at Fedex when a fan started turning his back to the field and rubbing it in to the Redskins fans when the Giants were winning. The guy was convinced if he did it again it might not turn out too well for him. I've been harassed by Philly fans in the parking lot of Fedex before a game.

The difference is I can't go into the Phillies Park wearing Nats gear or Eagles game wearing Commanders gear and enjoy rooting for my team. I get crap from their fans. The Redskins mascott got his leg broken in the parking lot of the Eagles stadium.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #95: May 03, 2024, 11:01:38 AM »
Again, not sure what you mean by soft. A fan of another team can come into Nats Park or Fedex field wearing their teams apparel and feel completely safe and enjoy rooting for their team without hearing crap from Nats fans. Now if you come into my stadium and start to interact with me when your team starts winning that's another thing. Now you're affecting my experience I paid money for. I was at a Redskins game against the Giants at Fedex when a fan started turning his back to the field and rubbing it in to the Redskins fans when the Giants were winning. The guy was convinced if he did it again it might not turn out too well for him. I've been harassed by Philly fans in the parking lot of Fedex before a game.

The difference is I can't go into the Phillies Park wearing Nats gear or Eagles game wearing Commanders gear and enjoy rooting for my team. I get crap from their fans. The Redskins mascott got his leg broken in the parking lot of the Eagles stadium.
Nats Park is fine. FedEx?

FWIW I think you would be fine in Nats gear at a game at CBP during the season.  Many have done it and survived. Playoffs? No.  Eagles game?  No.  I would never take my wife to an Eagles game even if I’m Eagles attire. Just too many drunks. My one game at FedEx field there were lots of drunk young dudes on the ramps after the game running into people including us. Was not an Eagles game. Just too much alcohol consumption at NFL games in general.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #96: May 03, 2024, 11:23:27 AM »
A friend and I happened to be driving from NYC to DC on a Monday when we learned that the MNF game was Dallas at Philly (this was in the 90s at the old Vet).  We bought some scalped tickets outside and went on in...the next couple of hours was as close to a world war as I've ever seen, kind of like medieval hand-to-hand combat mixed with a race riot.  As if Flodden Field had been fought in 1965 Selma.  Crazy.  I can't even remember who won the game down on the field. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #97: May 03, 2024, 12:58:39 PM »

Just too much alcohol consumption at NFL games in general.

Agreed...we saw a Cheesehead mouthing off to one of Da Bears fans on a ramp as we left Lambeau one year...I think that was the game Da Bears broke Rodgers shoulder and actually won the game.  That is, he was mouthy until Da Bears fan cold cocked him with a single well placed right to the mush.  It was a "Down goes Frazier" moment.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #98: May 03, 2024, 03:26:04 PM »
My son and I went to the second game the Nationals ever played. It was in the Phillies Park. Vidro hit a home run in the 10th inning to win it. We had Nationals stuff on. It wasn't too bad but we did get the blues from the Philly fans. One opening day my son and I were riding to the game on Metro. The Philly fans were being really obnoxious on the train. One of them asked me which stop was the one to Nats Park. We were 3 stops away and I told him the next one. Unfortunately one of the other ones knew that wasn't true. I caught the blues the rest of the ride by some lady.

I would hope no Nats fans would be so low class as to come to another teams opening day and boo a home teams player while he was getting an award.

I liked that one lady in that video. She said the guy who was punching the other guy out had a Raven jersey on. Also, she mentioned DC fans would never be as bad as Philly fans.

Offline imref

« Reply #99: May 03, 2024, 09:51:39 PM »
Marlins sending Luis Arraez to San Diego for Dylan Head, Woo Suk-Go, Nathan Martorella.