Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Josiah Gray, RHP  (Read 504 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Follow the Prospects: Josiah Gray, RHP
« Topic Start: July 29, 2021, 09:45:24 PM »
Does this count? He's currently in MLB. :D

4. Josiah Gray, RHP

Gray missed nearly two months with a right shoulder impingement but returned July 4. His stuff remains intact with a 93-97 mph fastball and an above-average slider that draws swings and misses. The Dodgers were conservative in bringing him back to make sure he was fully healed and don’t expect any lingering effects. He made his big league debut on July 20 and his first start July 25.

4. Josiah Gray | RHP
Josiah Gray
Born: Dec 21, 1997
Bats: R Throws: R
Ht.: 6'1" Wt.: 190
Drafted/Signed: Le Moyne (N.Y), 2018 (2nd round supplemental).
Signed By: Lee Seras (Reds).
Minors: 1-1 | 2.87 ERA | 22 SO | 2 BB | 16 IP
VIEW PLAYER CARD
Fastball: 60. Slider: 55. Changeup: 45. Control: 55.

TRACK RECORD: Gray began his career at Division II Le Moyne as a shortstop but converted to the mound and became one of the top pitchers in the 2018 draft. The Reds selected him 72nd overall and traded him to the Dodgers in the deal for Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp. Gray jumped three levels to Double-A in 2019, his first season with the Dodgers, and was named the organization’s minor league pitcher of the year. He spent 2020 at the alternate training site.

SCOUTING REPORT: Gray is a power pitcher with a strong, athletic physique. He overpowers hitters with a plus fastball that sits 93-96 mph with running life and touches 97-98 in short bursts. Other pitchers throw harder, but Gray’s fastball gets more swings and misses with his life and ability to hold his velocity and command deep into games. Gray focused on his secondary pitches at the alternate site and increased the depth and horizontal movement of his mid-80s slider to cement it as an above-average, swing-and-miss pitch. His changeup added tail and drop but remains a fringe-average pitch that’s often too firm in the upper-80s. Gray pounds the strike zone with above-average control. He is highly intelligent and an elite competitor who thrives when the lights are brightest.

THE FUTURE: Gray has the stuff and intangibles of a mid-rotation starter. If his changeup improves, he could be more.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Follow the Prospects: Josiah Gray, RHP
« Reply #1: July 31, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »
Gray and Ruiz should arrive in Rochester today.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: July 31, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »
Gray and Ruiz should arrive in Rochester today.
Gray isn't taking a connecting flight from Dulles or DCA.  Ubering straight to Half Street.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #3: July 31, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »
Gray isn't taking a connecting flight from Dulles or DCA.  Ubering straight to Half Street.

Right to work. Is he the next Jordan Zimmermann?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: July 31, 2021, 05:43:31 PM »
Right to work. Is he the next Jordan Zimmermann?
Is he pitching tonight? I don’t see a pitcher listed. Need to know whether or not to get a nap in.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: July 31, 2021, 05:46:09 PM »
Is he pitching tonight? I don’t see a pitcher listed. Need to know whether or not to get a nap in.
Guess not. Looks like Joe Ross and then Fedde tomorrow.

Offline Section214

« Reply #6: August 01, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »
Starting tomorrow night's game against Philadelphia. You can go ahead and lock this one up, he's not going back to the minors. After seeing Gray's 2019 stats, I watched his two outings for LAD and was very impressed. He is a stud with big time stuff. Mid 90s fastball that comes out easy and a nice offspeed. It would not surprise me if he is our opening day starter in 2022.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: August 01, 2021, 07:04:36 PM »
I dunno. If there's a service time advantage to sending him down, they're sending him down.

Starting tomorrow night's game against Philadelphia. You can go ahead and lock this one up, he's not going back to the minors. After seeing Gray's 2019 stats, I watched his two outings for LAD and was very impressed. He is a stud with big time stuff. Mid 90s fastball that comes out easy and a nice offspeed. It would not surprise me if he is our opening day starter in 2022.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: August 01, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
I dunno. If there's a service time advantage to sending him down, they're sending him down.

it won't work. He'll have about 85 days service time. That is about a half year. It will depend on whether there is super 2 after the next mlbpa agreement, but if it is similar on this point, he would not be super 2, I think. At any rate, the Nats don't seem to manage to avoid 4 years of arbitration. JZ, Trea, Storen, Bryce, Soto. Only guy they gamed was Stras.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #9: August 01, 2021, 09:14:52 PM »
Lock thread :whip: