Poll

Will you be saying goodbye to Boswell, Kilgore, etc.?

I will pay $9.99 per month to read the POST online.
1 (4.5%)
I will not pay $9.99 per month to read the POST online.
11 (50%)
I don't read the POST online now.
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Washington POST online fee.  (Read 2712 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Washington POST online fee.
« Reply #1: June 05, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
I'm hoping that hard copy subscribers will get the online material for free (I just checked: print edition subscribers have full access). If not, I'll discontinue my hard copy AND not subscribe online. :)

I understand why newspapers need to go this route. Most of the big ones have (Boston, New York, Los Angeles, etc.). Even many of the smaller ones have. But $10 seems, at first glance, steep.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #2: June 05, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
My question is, and no will will probably ever know, but is this just lip service or is it the truth: Katharine Weymouth, said the company would “listen to reader feedback and modify our model accordingly. . . .

Edit: and as Gburg said anyone that currently subscribes, is a student, teacher, gov't worker and ton of others will continue getting free coverage online. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #3: June 05, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »
Edit: and as Gburg said anyone that currently subscribes, is a student, teacher, gov't worker and ton of others will continue getting free coverage online. 

When I read the article, I could see education and military folks   ...   but mundane government workers?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #4: June 05, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
Well, their model is up to 20 retrieves a month are free, and you get to read it online for $10, and $15 gets you some special content or format or something. So they could probably make some adjustments there. Or some folks might say "how about $100 for a year?"

Have you ever browsed their e-replica? It's online-add free, and pretty damn cool. 

http://thewashingtonpost.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

My question is, and no will will probably ever know, but is this just lip service or is it the truth: Katharine Weymouth, said the company would “listen to reader feedback and modify our model accordingly. . . .

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: June 05, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »
Probably they are just trying to ease people into the idea that online content is still provided by paid reporters, and they still need to get paid. You give it away free to people to whom the advertising means the most - locals.

When I read the article, I could see education and military folks   ...   but mundane government workers?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: June 05, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »

maybe they want to be a source for policy makers but don't want to say GS 15 or SES or congressional staffers free

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #7: June 05, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »
.... (I just checked: print edition subscribers have full access). ....

What they haven't said is whether that applies to all subscribers or just to subscribers who get the paper every day. In other words, we get the print edition on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. It wouldn't surprise me if they said "that means you get online access only for those days." I don't know how they'd police that, though.

Either way, it's a better model than Car and Driver, who are charging $9.99 on top of your print subscription if you want the tablet edition. I receive the paper magazine but won't pay for the digital version.

BTW, the Post's $10 charge is only for the website access. If you want to use their apps, apparently that's an extra $5 a month.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #8: June 05, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
Why would I pay $10 a month for that piece of crap when every other site on the internet is free and links me to pictures?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #9: June 05, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
This survey could use a "I might..." option. That's where I'd be. I've been getting the Post since I graduated from college. If I could interact with an online version well enough, I might buy it. That e-replica they do is pretty slick. If I had a 22-inch tablet, I'd be all set. :shock:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: June 05, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
This survey could use a "I might..." option. That's where I'd be. I've been getting the Post since I graduated from college. If I could interact with an online version well enough, I might buy it. That e-replica they do is pretty slick. If I had a 22-inch tablet, I'd be all set. :shock:

There is no gray in my surveys.   :)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: June 05, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »
No chance I'm paying for the Post.  I think I fall in the under 20 articles a month anyway.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #12: June 05, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »
Well, we in OBX land NEVER get the latest version of the Post for Nats games.  So we rely on the Post online to know what happened the night before.  This would hurt.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #13: June 05, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
I canceled my kindle subscription in anticipation of this. No big deal.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #14: June 05, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »
I hate the WashingtonPost.com - that site crashes every browser I open it with. There's always some crappy ad trying to load with a floatover command.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: June 05, 2013, 11:37:39 PM »
i pay for the Sunday post for the magazine and the coupons, but that's it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: June 06, 2013, 08:17:21 AM »
They won't do it when they realize they can't charge nearly as much for advertisements with such a low hit rate. 

they might pull an NYtimes- clear your cookies or block cookies and you get unlimited articles

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #17: June 06, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
I get home delivery Sunday (used to get it daily but the weekday editions are delivered after I go in to work so I dropped that part) - hopefully that will be sufficient.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: June 06, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
I get home delivery Sunday (used to get it daily but the weekday editions are delivered after I go in to work so I dropped that part) - hopefully that will be sufficient.

if not, you can call to cancel- you never know what deal you'll walk away with

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #19: June 06, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »

It said federal employees read free if you sign on from your workplace computer.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #20: June 06, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
It said federal employees read free if you sign on from your workplace computer.

Nothing else to do at "work"?   :)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #21: June 06, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »

When I was a Fed my job was to make sure that the internet was up in running all day.  Couldn't take it anymore so I quit and got a real job.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #22: June 06, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
When I worked in a military facility, lunchtime was pretty vacant time.  Reading the Post online was accepted - as long as not on a classified computer.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #23: June 06, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
Agreed. Their current website is awful, because they are trying to squeeze every dollar of revenue out of a free site they can. I'm assuming that the paysite will be (almost) add free.

I'll probably cancel home delivery and give it a shot.

I hate the WashingtonPost.com - that site crashes every browser I open it with. There's always some crappy ad trying to load with a floatover command.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #24: June 06, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »

I don't have problems with it on my office computer, but at home it's the dickens to bring up because of all the banner ads and whatnot (rather a 'busy' site).