Author Topic: Dunking  (Read 3028 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Dunking
« Topic Start: December 18, 2007, 04:50:38 PM »
ya, mets suck just keep doing what your doing. i like your typing style, it's unique and i can understand it completely. these geezers who just like to start gripes need to chillax (combination of chilling and relaxing).

LOL, I love it when people 10-20 years YOUNGER than me are getting called out for being geezers.  Oh, the irony....

And by the way, I can still drain 3's, albeit it at a slower rate than in my younger days.

I actually have a goal for this year, in which I turn 50 - to be able to grab the rim again.  This I last accomplished at 48, though I've laid off the basketball this year due to an ankle injury, but I think after 6 weeks back into playing I'll be able to get rim.  And yes, I mean legitimate 10' rim.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Dunking
« Reply #1: December 18, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
I was thinking about that recently. Those spell checkers really are going to make people some terrible spellers in the future. I, myself, rely on those too much. I wonder how bad I'd be had I had Microsoft Word since earlier on in life.

speak for yourself, might be hard to believe but i'm a good speller. i used to represent my class in tha school spellin bees anually.

Dunking
« Reply #2: December 18, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »
yeah 27 is a  shocker to me. i had him pegged at at least mid-age.

Well, I guess when you step out of "your own world, where there no culture or diversity", even you can learn something new everyday.......

Or you could of simply checked my profile.  I've never hidden the fact of my age.

Offline nats2playoffs

Dunking
« Reply #3: December 18, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »
speak for yourself, might be hard to believe but i'm a good speller. i used to represent my class in tha school spellin bees anually.
:rofl: :worship:

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Dunking
« Reply #4: December 18, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »
LOL, I love it when people 10-20 years YOUNGER than me are getting called out for being geezers.  Oh, the irony....

And by the way, I can still drain 3's, albeit it at a slower rate than in my younger days.

I actually have a goal for this year, in which I turn 50 - to be able to grab the rim again.  This I last accomplished at 48, though I've laid off the basketball this year due to an ankle injury, but I think after 6 weeks back into playing I'll be able to get rim.  And yes, I mean legitimate 10' rim.

grabbing tha rim is nothin. i been doin that since middle school. now actually dunkin is a goal. I still can't do it, and i'm 5'11(and 3 quarters)

Dunking
« Reply #5: December 18, 2007, 04:52:44 PM »

Be quiet, geezer. ;)

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Dunking
« Reply #6: December 18, 2007, 04:53:43 PM »
If you would answer my other question, metssuck, I am curious...

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Dunking
« Reply #7: December 18, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »
If you would answer my other question, metssuck, I am curious...

what question was that?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Dunking
« Reply #8: December 18, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
grabbing tha rim is nothin. i been doin that since middle school. now actually dunkin is a goal. I still can't do it, and i'm 5'11(and 3 quarters)

I'm 5'10, and 49 years old.  I got one dunk when I was 20, but the rim was a little bit loose.  At that time I could hit my wrist on the rim, but never could grip the ball well.

Dunking
« Reply #9: December 18, 2007, 04:56:52 PM »
Dukes? DUKES?! DUKES?!?!

Did someone say Dukes?!

Offline ronnynat

Dunking
« Reply #10: December 18, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »

But aren't most people that you go to school w/ in the same age range as you? My point is that even though you may be a good speller for YOUR age, that doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be able to beat out those, say, 10 years older than you who were also the best in their class. I'm saying that I'd have to believe that spell checkers are going to make the general public worse spellers in the future.

Offline nats2playoffs

Dunking
« Reply #11: December 18, 2007, 04:58:07 PM »
yeah 27 is a  shocker to me. i had him pegged at at least mid-age.

It's the Dawson's Creek Modifier
God knows what taping that show down there did to people. 

The only dunk I ever got was when I fell into a pool.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Dunking
« Reply #12: December 18, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »

i'm 5'10" pushing 5'11" and can grab rim on my good days. it's weird, sometimes i can barely touch it and then other days i can grab rim with relative ease.

i find it hard to believe that you can grab rim at 5'10" and 50 years old. if you can, thats incredibly impressive! i also may have to call duck tales on you dunking at 5'10" even if you were in your prime. you must be exaggerating on a "little loose", maybe it was five inches below regulation. ;)

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Dunking
« Reply #13: December 18, 2007, 05:02:26 PM »
I'm 5'10, and 49 years old.  I got one dunk when I was 20, but the rim was a little bit loose.  At that time I could hit my wrist on the rim, but never could grip the ball well.

wow, you got up's then, bruh. i never been able to dunk on a court that's regulation. it seems you also would've had more upp's than me when you were in your prime(athletically).

but that don't mean you could see me 1-on-1.

Dunking
« Reply #14: December 18, 2007, 05:02:56 PM »
It's the Dawson's Creek Modifier
God knows what taping that show down there did to people. 

(Image removed from quote.)

LOL :lol:

Thankfully when I moved down to Wilmington (where they filmed Dawson's Creek) it was on its last season and I didn't get to experience it.  I did do a lot of extra work on that NBC show "Surface."

Now, "One Tree Hill", that might be really screwing with people's minds. :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Dunking
« Reply #15: December 18, 2007, 05:03:50 PM »
how tall are you? just curious.

i'm 5'10" pushing 5'11" and can grab rim on my good days. it's weird, sometimes i can barely touch it and then other days i can grab rim with relative ease.

I'm actually exactly 5' 10.5", and as white as any Irishman.  I've always had good leaping ability, but obviously this fades with both age and disuse.  I'm going to make a concerted effort this coming summer to get back into basketball shape, as I thought of this goal when I was 40.  Actually playing the game is the best way to get in shape, but there's a lot of injury risk too.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Dunking
« Reply #16: December 18, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »

i find it hard to believe that you can grab rim at 5'10" and 50 years old. if you can, thats incredibly impressive! i also may have to call duck tales on you dunking at 5'10" even if you were in your prime. you must be exaggerating on a "little loose", maybe it was five inches below regulation. ;)

play basketball with some ankle weights. i don't care for dunkin really. i almost seriously hurt myself tryin to dunk. I'm good just goin for tha layup.

Offline sportsfan882

Dunking
« Reply #17: December 18, 2007, 05:06:04 PM »
I can't dunk but I could beat anyone on here in Horse or a 3 point contest. 

Dunking
« Reply #18: December 18, 2007, 05:09:04 PM »
But aren't most people that you go to school w/ in the same age range as you? My point is that even though you may be a good speller for YOUR age, that doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be able to beat out those, say, 10 years older than you who were also the best in their class. I'm saying that I'd have to believe that spell checkers are going to make the general public worse spellers in the future.

College professors, especially the English professors, alway beg their students to double check their work and not rely on the spell checker.  Sadly, few listen and mistakes are numerous.  Spell checker should only be used as a help tool not an actual editor.

Offline ronnynat

Dunking
« Reply #19: December 18, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »

Maybe Horse, but not the 3-point contest :). I've gotten my shot back down recently. The two stars on the team I coach right now can both shoot threes right and left handed w/ ease. I never leaned all of that.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Dunking
« Reply #20: December 18, 2007, 05:10:06 PM »

according to tha wnff family everybody in this piece is a gloried three point assassin :roll: :P.

me, i ain't goin front, my perimter shootin is average at best.  but i ain't afraid to take it to tha paint.

Offline ronnynat

Dunking
« Reply #21: December 18, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »
College professors, especially the English professors, alway beg their students to double check their work and not rely on the spell checker.  Sadly, few listen and mistakes are numerous.  Spell checker should only be used as a help tool not an actual editor.

...or an educator  :doh:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Dunking
« Reply #22: December 18, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
wow, you got up's then, bruh. i never been able to dunk on a court that's regulation. it seems you also would've had more upp's than me when you were in your prime(athletically).

but that don't mean you could see me 1-on-1.

I was able to do a few things well, others not.  Inconstent shooter, poor range.  But I was very fast and able to bring the ball up against a press.  While 18-20 years old, I played in a mens league in Suitland, Md for 3 seasons.  We were one of two white teams in the league - I think we won 3-4 games a season, but at least we weren't getting blown out much.  Our team was physically tough, but very slow, and needed me to handle the ball.  I would get the occasional tip and was a sneaky rebounder and ball hawk.

In 1 on 1, I tended to let people drive past me then try for the block, which isn't always the best strategy, but I just like blocking shots.

Offline ronnynat

Dunking
« Reply #23: December 18, 2007, 05:14:08 PM »
In 1 on 1, I tended to let people drive past me then try for the block, which isn't always the best strategy, but I just like blocking shots.

Yeah, you can usually only do that once on someone :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Dunking
« Reply #24: December 18, 2007, 05:20:16 PM »

The bolts were loose, so it probably played an inch or two low, but it was a regulation height rim.  Many factors were involved, including motivation.  I was at the "Quad", outdoor courts on the south side of U of MD. campus, playing a game with a couple of old high school friends.  Both of them were really good athletes, had played varsity sports (one played college baseball) and a level better than me.  But I had been playing a lot of basketball (instead of studying) and had improved a lot, and wanted to impress.  I got a breakaway, and Todd yelled out "DUNK", so I went for it.  Maximum effort, but noboby was more astonished than me when I rammed it over the front of the rim and down.  They probably think I did that all the time!  Usually when I'd try, the ball would just slip out of my hand.

When 48, I was playing a lot (lunchtime at work, gym near our workplace) and it came back pretty well, so that I could get rim every outing, though not every leap.  Just barely getting it, had to time it right.   But now I have to warm up quite a bit, can't just walk out there cold and try, I'd be a foot short.  That's another aspect of aging, you really have to get muscles warmed up before max performance is possible.