Author Topic: Baseball America Nats top 10  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Baseball America Nats top 10
« Reply #25: November 12, 2009, 04:02:37 PM »
Also, Maxwell starting gives the Nats Dukes as a trade chip, or Willingham.

If you give the job to Maxwell, you could trade BOTH of Willingham and Dukes, move Dunn back to LF and get a 1B.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #26: November 12, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »
If you give the job to Maxwell, you could trade BOTH of Willingham and Dukes, move Dunn back to LF and get a 1B.

Why on earth would you want to move Dunn back to LF?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #27: November 12, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
I think you should ship Willingham back to the Fish for Bonifacio and Uggla.  I would throw in Hermida, too, but he's already gone.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: November 16, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
I don't want to brag but....

I finally caught the replay of the AFL all-star game late last night. Got to see Storen pitch for the first time. A very deliberate motion with two semi stops before he explodes to the plate.

I like what I saw. His fastball did look a bit flat, but I'm sure with experience he'll either take speed off to get some movement, or work on control to place it a bit better.

I'm thinking he'll probably not make the Nats out of spring training... but come midseason, I expect Storen to be a full time member of the pen and by the end of 2010 I think he'll be closing out games.

3. Drew Storen, rhp   

Weaknesses: Storen's fastball is rather straight and he can be homer-prone when he leaves it up in the zone. Baserunners tended to get good jumps against him during his debut, so the Nationals worked with him on quickening his times to the plate. He already has cut his time from 1.4 seconds to about 1.25, showing good aptitude for adjustments.

The Future: Storen is on the fast track and figures to reach the majors by 2010, perhaps as soon as Opening Day. He profiles as a closer or setup man, and he could be finishing games for Washington by the end of the season.

Obviously, I should be the next big thing in scouting!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #29: November 16, 2009, 12:26:08 PM »
I don't want to brag but....

Obviously, I should be the next big thing in scouting!  :icon_mrgreen:

obviously your eye for talent is better than steve phillips'

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #30: November 16, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
obviously a five year old's eye for talent is better than steve phillips'

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #31: January 07, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
The Hardball Times list:

1. Stephen Strasburg: Perhaps the best college pitcher of all time, Strasburg brings unheralded hype and ability to a Washington organization desperate for a shot in the arm. He is the best pitching prospect in baseball and will challenge Atlanta's Jason Heyward as my preseason No. 1 prospect in baseball.

2. Derek Norris: Despite his high strikeout rate, Norris has the bat of a future All-Star. The most unheralded aspect of his season was the 90 walks he drew in 437 at-bats. His defense is on track for the majors, but needs some work. If he repeats his performance in 2010, we may be looking at a top-10 prospect in all of baseball. But he does need to do it again if he is going to win me over.

3. Danny Espinosa: Despite some holes in his swing, Espinosa has a bit of everything you look for in a shortstop, including above-average power and the glove to match.

4. Christopher Marrero: Marrero has a nice bat, but nothing about it sticks out, especially as a first baseman. He is still young, and with further progression Washington could have a major league asset at first base.

5. Drew Storen: I was surprised to see Storen go as high as he did in the 2009 draft, but his first 37 minor league innings opened my eyes. There is even talk that Washington may turn him into a starter, which would raise his value immensely, but his change-up needs refinement if that is going to happen. There is a lot to like. More than I initially thought.

6. Ian Desmond: Desmond has some workable power and base-stealing ability, but neither skill be will anything more than average in the majors. His defense is his best strength, and his average bat will make sure he has a long, solid career as a major league shortstop.

7. Eury Perez: Perez has flashed his potential at every stop he has made. His bat seems very advanced for his age, his speed will be a weapon, and he has even shown some unexpected power.

8. Destin Hood: With his raw tools, Hood was one of my favorite players selected in the second round of the 2008 draft. Not much has materialized as of yet, which is concerning for me, but he is very young.

9. Michael Burgess: Burgess has plus power, but not much else to go with it. His strikeout rate is troublesome and may be his downfall. Future refinement could be in the works, so it's not time to give up on him yet.

10. Marcos Frias: Scouting reports are tough to come by on Frias, but his numbers are hard to ignore, forcing my bullish outlook. Based off of the brief video and scouting reports I have on him, I am going to take a shot in the dark on a young man with a live arm.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #32: January 07, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
Interesting, pretty optimistic list.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #33: January 07, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »
The Hardball Times list:

Not a bad shot at compiling a list, but I haven't heard anything about Storen going to the rotation lately?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: January 07, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
The Hardball Times list:

It looks like the cut / drop off in the writers view is between #7 and #8.  Perez he thinks is showing good things at every stop, even if he is still young and far away, while hood has the tools but has not done much with them.  He calls everything from Perez up major league assets, and Hood and below long shots.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #35: January 07, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
Wow, I just looked over Frias's numbers.  I have no idea how I overlooked him, but I did.  That's some serious dominance.  I guess I forgot he was doing it at Hagerstown - I thought he was in Vermont last year for some reason.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #36: January 07, 2010, 04:37:37 PM »
Wow, I just looked over Frias's numbers.  I have no idea how I overlooked him, but I did.  That's some serious dominance.  I guess I forgot he was doing it at Hagerstown - I thought he was in Vermont last year for some reason.

Yeah, 4:1 K:BB and 0.4 HR/9  :shock:  Baseball Cube's scouting report (who knows where they got it) gave him a score in the 70s for control.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #37: January 07, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »
He's been practicing his spaceball in Hagersburg.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: January 07, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »
Yeah, 4:1 K:BB and 0.4 HR/9  :shock:  Baseball Cube's scouting report (who knows where they got it) gave him a score in the 70s for control.

I must be missing something. All I see is a guy that throws a sinker.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #39: January 07, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
#1 uses the word "unheralded" improperly. I think they meant "unprecedented."

Offline blue911

« Reply #40: January 07, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
#1 uses the word "unheralded" improperly. I think they meant "unprecedented."

We need to get the Turtle to make a ruling  :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #41: January 07, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
We need to get the Turtle to make a ruling  :D

Well, since I've been invited to comment this time, WTF?  Unheralded?  It's the complete opposite of what he means to say.  It's nearly as bad as saying "I could care less" when the complete opposite is intended.

:roll:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #42: January 07, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
Of those, Marcos Frias is one I've not heard of.  I'll have to look him up.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #43: January 08, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
I like Juan Jamie.  He's a hit on the Maryland message board.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #44: January 09, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »

Offline NatsNut

• pink caps suck
« Reply #45: January 09, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »
"10) Bradley Meyers, RHP, Grade C+: One of several strike-throwing types with limited upside but good pitchability."

what the heck is pitchability?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #46: January 09, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »
"10) Bradley Meyers, RHP, Grade C+: One of several strike-throwing types with limited upside but good pitchability."

it's like drinkability.

i'm guessing it means someone who can go out there and give you 6 innings and 3 runs on a consistent basis.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: January 10, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »

Like pastability, but less likely to get stuck in your head and drive you slowly insane.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #48: January 10, 2010, 12:40:48 AM »
Like pastability, but less likely to get stuck in your head and drive you slowly insane.
It's like the opposite of noability, which aptly describes my pitchability, thanks to my indulgence of too many pastabilities and several nightly servings of beverages of a high drinkability.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #49: January 10, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
I'm assuming pitchability is the opposite of what Daniel Cabrera has.