Author Topic: Nationals @ Cardinals, Game 2  (Read 15102 times)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Re: Nationals @ Cardinals, Game 2
« Reply #125: May 26, 2007, 08:54:34 PM »
maybe Thomson will do what Speigner did Monday vs the Reds. Give up a huge lead.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #126: May 26, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
speigner just doesn't have any composure whatsoever.  he only has "two" pitches and no confidence ... i'm not going to trash the kid, but i doubt things are going to work out for him here. 

let's see what beltran perez or billy traber can do (then call up chris schrdoer to replace traber in the pen).

I liked what I saw from Schroeder last season.

nats2playoffs, he does have to stay on the roster, right? I think that's what rule V does...

You're absolutely correct. But the teams involved can come to a mutual agreement (compensation) so that the team can get him outright and send him down if desired.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #127: May 26, 2007, 08:57:37 PM »
Come on R.Z.,double play?!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #128: May 26, 2007, 08:58:27 PM »
Well the game is official.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #129: May 26, 2007, 08:59:01 PM »
Taking any pitcher rule V seems like a very risky move. I guess he was intended as a reliever.
I liked what I saw from Schroeder last season.

You're absolutely correct. But the teams involved can come to a mutual agreement (compensation) so that the team can get him outright and send him down if desired.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #130: May 26, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
nats2playoffs, he does have to stay on the roster, right? I think that's what rule V does...

"A player drafted onto a Major League roster in the Rule 5 draft must remain in the majors (on the 25-man active roster or the DL) for all of the subsequent season, or the drafting club must attempt to return him to his original club. However, since a returned Rule 5 player must first be placed on outright waivers, a third club could claim the player off waivers. But of course, that club would then also have to keep him in the majors all season, or offer him back to his original club.

Occasionally, the drafting club will work out a trade with the player's original team, allowing the drafting club to retain the player but send him to the minors."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

So if we decide he's worthless, we cannot be compelled to keep him.  So if the Twins want him, they can HAVE HIM.  They might want to send him to the minors (since they are short of pitchers), but I would be more than happy to pay his bus fare to Minnesota or anywhere else to get rid of him.  Speigner is good for 7 or 8 hits in 3 innings every time he pitches.  And he isn't throwing 95 mph.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #131: May 26, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »
Our rule V from 2 years ago (Tony Blanco) didn't seem to work out either.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #132: May 26, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I was pretty sure I knew the first part. The second part I didn't know.
"A player drafted onto a Major League roster in the Rule 5 draft must remain in the majors (on the 25-man active roster or the DL) for all of the subsequent season, or the drafting club must attempt to return him to his original club. However, since a returned Rule 5 player must first be placed on outright waivers, a third club could claim the player off waivers. But of course, that club would then also have to keep him in the majors all season, or offer him back to his original club.

Occasionally, the drafting club will work out a trade with the player's original team, allowing the drafting club to retain the player but send him to the minors."

So if we decide he's worthless, we cannot be compelled to keep him.  So if the Twins want him, they can HAVE HIM.  They might want to send him to the minors (since they are short of pitchers), but I would be more than happy to pay his bus fare to Minnesota or anywhere else to get rid of him.  Speigner is good for 7 or 8 hits in 3 innings every time he pitches.  And he isn't throwing 95 mph.
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #133: May 26, 2007, 09:01:48 PM »
w/e, we will win tomorrow. Jesus and Belly will be starting, two of our best hitters.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #134: May 26, 2007, 09:02:02 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

We should consider sending his ass back before we arrive in Minneapolis for our 3 game series. Maybe they'll pitch him against us  ;)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #135: May 26, 2007, 09:08:24 PM »
Young with a cheap hit.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #136: May 26, 2007, 09:11:14 PM »
They're loaded, no out.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #137: May 26, 2007, 09:12:03 PM »
That's pathetic.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #138: May 26, 2007, 09:12:44 PM »
We should consider sending his ass back before we arrive in Minneapolis for our 3 game series. Maybe they'll pitch him against us  ;)

THAT would be worth organizing a WNFF charter to Minnesota to see the game.  Flores is a great Rule 5 acquisition, but Speigner didn't look good enough in his minors stats to take the risk.  Throw him back:

Speigner's starts now:
          OPP   W    L    IP     H      ER     BB     SO
05/16   ATL    0    0   4.0    8       4       0       4
05/21   @CIN  0    0   3.0   7      5         3       0
5/26    @STL  0  TBD 3.1     9      8        3       1

NOW, we've finally gotten to Thompson. 92 pitches, Bases loaded, nobody out...
"Speed Kills" Kearns TOO SLOW to score on infield hit.  OUT.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #139: May 26, 2007, 09:13:37 PM »
Station to station, after we get a runner forced at home.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #140: May 26, 2007, 09:16:27 PM »
WOW so Speigner's WHIP in his starts was around 3. ERA around 15.00.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #141: May 26, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »
Ugh.  It wasn't meant to be, tonight.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #142: May 26, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
Brad Thompson's mug shot is terrible. He looks like a woman. And really not a pretty one...

I thought the same thing!!!

Hi guys!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #143: May 26, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »
great grab.  gotta give it up to duncan.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #144: May 26, 2007, 09:20:54 PM »
Duncan barely gets to Felipe's hit in deep left and catches it.  Schnei scores, but we could have gotten 3 if it had fallen in fair.

Nationals 3
Cardinals 8

This game is NOT over.  We can rally and still win.  Cards suck.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #145: May 26, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »
great grab.  gotta give it up to duncan.

Yeah he kept the Nats from getting right back into this.  He saved probably 2 runs. Of course Kearns being forced out at the plate didn't help.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #146: May 26, 2007, 09:22:35 PM »
Alright Winston, show em whatcha got

Offline kimnat

« Reply #147: May 26, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Man, you dudes are a quiet bunch tonight.  Guess, I'll run back downstairs and watch the game.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #148: May 26, 2007, 09:29:33 PM »
Man, you dudes are a quiet bunch tonight.  Guess, I'll run back downstairs and watch the game.

We're as quiet as the Nationals' bats.... Plus Speigner took a lot out of us tonight.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #149: May 26, 2007, 09:29:57 PM »
10 hits to 10 hits, yet were down 5.