Author Topic: Juan Soto, Yankee  (Read 1551 times)

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Re: Juan Soto, Yankee
« Reply #25: December 08, 2023, 07:21:55 PM »
In a vacuum, it's an okay return, but run prevention was not the Padres' problem last year.  Considering they're probably losing Snell, it looks like their pitching staff is probably about the same with the line-up taking a hit.

We may never know what, if anything, was on the table before the trade deadline, but if there was anything with a good hitting prospect, it was probably a mistake not to go that route.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: December 08, 2023, 07:39:07 PM »
In a vacuum, it's an okay return, but run prevention was not the Padres' problem last year.  Considering they're probably losing Snell, it looks like their pitching staff is probably about the same with the line-up taking a hit.

We may never know what, if anything, was on the table before the trade deadline, but if there was anything with a good hitting prospect, it was probably a mistake not to go that route.
Uh ... they are losing a Cy Young pitcher. How is their pitching staff probably the same?

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #27: December 19, 2023, 01:39:32 PM »
Sorry, should have said "about the same, at best."  This is assuming King and Thorpe can come close to replacing what Snell gave them.

My general point is still the same - pitching staff has gotten no better this offseason, and the line-up takes a serious hit.  Not trading Soto earlier may have been a massive mistake for them.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: February 28, 2024, 02:09:26 PM »
Did Boras not tell him about the contract offer?
“I never wanted to leave Washington. It was a great team. I knew everybody there, from the bottom all the way to the top. I was really comfortable and it felt like home for me. I was happy. I had a house in Washington. I was really comfortable up there."

"Out of nowhere, they made that decision. They thought it was the best thing for the team. I just respected it because they were really clear with me. That’s one of the things I really respected from Rizzo. He was really clear about the trade stuff. But definitely I never thought I was going to leave D.C. I was really thinking I was going to stay there for my whole career.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: February 28, 2024, 02:26:01 PM »
He’s rewriting history so he doesn’t look greedy. Not many guys embrace cares about money more than the fans. The honesty one of the reasons I like Cousins

Online imref

« Reply #30: February 28, 2024, 02:39:21 PM »
hopefully all will be forgotten when we sign him next year.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #31: February 28, 2024, 02:51:36 PM »
hopefully all will be forgotten when we sign him next year.

Offer him the same $440 million. Meanwhile, I will hop across to Yankee Stadium and cheer for Soto.

Online welch

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Juan Soto, Yankee
« Reply #33: February 29, 2024, 04:34:41 PM »
Home run to left: https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/juan-soto-homers-in-yankees-spring-training-debut
How does the distance to left in Tampa compare to Yankee Stadium? I know Jet Blue in Ft Myers duplicates Fenway.

Online welch

« Reply #34: February 29, 2024, 08:50:21 PM »
How does the distance to left in Tampa compare to Yankee Stadium? I know Jet Blue in Ft Myers duplicates Fenway.

Yankee Stadium III is about 399 feet to left-center. Aaron Judge says that Soto hit the homer over a wall that sits 400 feet from home. 

Soto’s Statcast-projected 428-foot blast came off right-hander Trevor Richards, an opposite-field shot on a 90.7 mph fastball. It came off the slugger’s bat at 110.1 mph, according to Statcast.

“At Yankee Stadium and here, you’ve got basically 400 feet out there to left-center,” said Yankees captain Aaron Judge. “It’s one of the deepest in the game. So for him to take that pitch like he did and hit it the other way, and with ease -- you don’t see too many lefties doing that.”

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: February 29, 2024, 10:23:25 PM »
Soto is going to have a huge year and end up with a big contract.  He’s still just 25.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #36: February 29, 2024, 11:33:28 PM »
Soto is going to have a huge year and end up with a big contract.  He’s still just 25.

Yankee Stadium is perfect for left handed batters. The old saying was the perfect trade would of been Ted Williams for Joe Dimaggio. Ted would of been great in Yankee Stadium and Joe in Fenway. If Soto doesn't try to pull too much to that inviting right field that $440 million he turned down could be chicken feed next offseason.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: March 01, 2024, 09:14:32 AM »
He will end up with more than the Nats offered. He's that good. Getting him out of San Diego will help a lot. He will have his best HR year.

How are they going to arrange Judge and Soto? I'm going to guess consecutive, but which one hits behind the other? I'd think Soto 2nd  and Judge 3rd, but that may be less optimum than Soto 1 and Judge 2 or Soto 2 and Judge 4. OTOH, Judge is pretty comfortable at 2, so maybe it's Judge 2nd and Soto 3rd.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: March 01, 2024, 09:19:05 AM »
Yankee Stadium is perfect for left handed batters. The old saying was the perfect trade would of been Ted Williams for Joe Dimaggio. Ted would of been great in Yankee Stadium and Joe in Fenway. If Soto doesn't try to pull too much to that inviting right field that $440 million he turned down could be chicken feed next offseason.
Fenway is better for a lefty who isn't completely pull conscious. You look at what Williams, Yaz the Elder, Boggs, and even Mike Greenwell / Mo Vaughn / Troy O'Leary did, and you see it really can make heroes out of lefties. The only really tough part of Fenway for a lefty is right center and the deepest part of the RF corner. Those are blasts, but guys with big power (Williams, Ortiz) aren't really cheated in Fenway.

Offline blue911

« Reply #39: March 01, 2024, 09:39:35 AM »
Fenway is better for a lefty who isn't completely pull conscious. You look at what Williams, Yaz the Elder, Boggs, and even Mike Greenwell / Mo Vaughn / Troy O'Leary did, and you see it really can make heroes out of lefties. The only really tough part of Fenway for a lefty is right center and the deepest part of the RF corner. Those are blasts, but guys with big power (Williams, Ortiz) aren't really cheated in Fenway.

Freddie Lynn had a career OPS over .150 points higher at Fenway than his career average. Lefties get reward for simply covering the outside of the plate.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: March 01, 2024, 10:02:26 AM »
Freddie Lynn had a career OPS over .150 points higher at Fenway than his career average. Lefties get reward for simply covering the outside of the plate.
which is Soto at his best.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #41: March 01, 2024, 11:23:11 AM »

That's the thing with Soto. If he doesn't get messed up by looking at the outfield dimensions at Yankee stadium he'll hit enough to right to have a big time season. If he tries to change and pull more it will mess him up. Is he the one who hit it on the train tracks in left in the world series?

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #42: March 01, 2024, 11:27:01 AM »
That's the thing with Soto. If he doesn't get messed up by looking at the outfield dimensions at Yankee stadium he'll hit enough to right to have a big time season. If he tries to change and pull more it will mess him up. Is he the one who hit it on the train tracks in left in the world series?

He’s the one

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43: March 01, 2024, 11:39:54 AM »
thing is, yankee is not so good to left, so he's going to lose some hits that go 350'- 380'. It's easy to get tempted to pull everything.

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: March 01, 2024, 02:09:05 PM »

Which is why I want him to play for Boston.

Online imref

« Reply #45: March 07, 2024, 12:06:03 AM »
Olney says the Mets are planning on making an effort to sign Soto next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: March 07, 2024, 09:56:17 AM »
Olney says the Mets are planning on making an effort to sign Soto next year.
I can't think of any team that's serious about contending that won't put some sort of package together for him.

Online imref

« Reply #47: March 07, 2024, 10:24:26 AM »
I can't think of any team that's serious about contending that won't put some sort of package together for him.

We can dream that the Nats will be in on him, can't we?

Online welch

« Reply #48: March 07, 2024, 01:49:58 PM »
Soto will fit well into The Bronx. Many Domicans in Upper Manhattan -- I live in "Little DR" -- and in The Bronx. I got my first real job in 1969 in the South Bronx, where colleagues quickly taught me the ins and outs of Dominican politics. As in "Balaguer assesino!" and "Viva Juan Bosch!". When daughter and I met his mother at a Nats game at CitiField, it seemed that they had visited family.

If Soto does not sign with the Nats, then I hope he signs with the Yankees.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #49: March 07, 2024, 01:52:47 PM »
We can dream that the Nats will be in on him, can't we?

They should know a lot more come September if they should go after him. Hopefully Wood and Crews will look like everyday pluses in the outfield maybe one or both stars. IF that happens they would need 1 of Green, Lile, Hassell III, or Vaquero to have a big year. IF that happens they could spend on a number 1 starter.