Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 103694 times)

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1725: September 05, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »
What the hell have I been making then?  :lol:

Whatever it's called, it's easy peasy and it thickens up stuff so whatevs :P

Butter cannot be heated anywhere near hot enough to literally toast the individual granules of flour as they fall into the oil. 

But sure, flour in butter is technically a "roux", though not the acadian style.  For anyone interested, here's a very comprehensive history and culinary article on the topic.  One excerpt:

http://www.honestcuisine.com/archives/stuff/000658.html

To make a dark Cajun roux, Paul Prudhomme recommends adding the flour to oil heated to it's smoking point over a burner set as high as it can go and whisking like mad when you add the flour. This method will indeed brown the flour very quickly and you can end up with a wonderful dark roux in a matter of minutes. Of course, Paul Prudhomme has fair amount of experience making roux. He can whisk faster than most of us can ever hope to and he knows almost intuitively when good roux goes bad. My one and only attempt at this method, however, resulted in a neighbor calling the fire department.

From my experience this is damn tricky to do.  They don't call it Cajun Napalm for nothing.