Author Topic: See You at Game 1 in Houston  (Read 1056 times)

Offline USF_Football

See You at Game 1 in Houston
« Topic Start: October 20, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
I picked up two seats in the second row behind the Nationals dugout on Thursday night. They weren’t cheap - haven’t told my wife yet - when my best friend from DC walks through our door Monday night (I live in San Antonio presently), the crap is going to hit the fan. Oh well, I’ve been dressing up our one and four year old daughters up in Nats gear all their lives - at some point it’s going to register for her (if flying back to Opening Day every year doesn’t). At least know one of your fellow forum members will be representing. If anyone is tailgating before the game, I’m getting there at 4 PMish. Go Nats!

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: See You at Game 1 in Houston
« Reply #1: October 20, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
I picked up two seats in the second row behind the Nationals dugout on Thursday night. They weren’t cheap - haven’t told my wife yet - when my best friend from DC walks through our door Monday night (I live in San Antonio presently), the crap is going to hit the fan. Oh well, I’ve been dressing up our one and four year old daughters up in Nats gear all their lives - at some point it’s going to register for her (if flying back to Opening Day every year doesn’t). At least know one of your fellow forum members will be representing. If anyone is tailgating before the game, I’m getting there at 4 PMish. Go Nats!
I’m jealous. By the time I got in Thursday the tickets were all gone. Enjoy!

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #2: October 20, 2019, 03:41:38 PM »

So you're the other Nats fan in San Antonio?  I lived in DC area for 11 years, but we moved to San Antonio last year. I was considering taking a road trip to Houston, but it's not likely.  I'm curious, so let me know if you have any advice on scoring 1 or 2 tickets in Houston.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #3: October 21, 2019, 12:19:58 PM »
Not sure I would call it scoring anything wonderful per se based on the price. It set me back $2,550 per ticket for one game as I had to go through the secondary websites (I was sick the day Houston sold tickets online - didn't realize they were selling them that Thursday morning). I used Vivid Seats as they'll email you a $75 off coupon after registering on their site and then NOT buying the tickets initially. They want you to come back. It was the best pricing I could get for a seat I would consider leaving my house to watch a game vice sitting in front of a 75" television.

When I bought tickets for the Caps and Vegas for Game 5, it was $2,150 per ticket through the Vegas site (face value - three rows back where the Caps shot twice).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: October 21, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
$709 for game 3 SRO right now on Stubhub.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #5: October 21, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
Yikes.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #6: October 21, 2019, 04:54:31 PM »
Not sure I would call it scoring anything wonderful per se based on the price. It set me back $2,550 per ticket for one game as I had to go through the secondary websites (I was sick the day Houston sold tickets online - didn't realize they were selling them that Thursday morning). I used Vivid Seats as they'll email you a $75 off coupon after registering on their site and then NOT buying the tickets initially. They want you to come back. It was the best pricing I could get for a seat I would consider leaving my house to watch a game vice sitting in front of a 75" television.

When I bought tickets for the Caps and Vegas for Game 5, it was $2,150 per ticket through the Vegas site (face value - three rows back where the Caps shot twice).

It seems the Texas laws are tricky when it comes to scalping. Online scalping is fine, but they seem strict about selling tickets in person. I've had good luck in the past (1996 Olympics, 95 Sugar Bowl, KISS concert tix, etc.) I think the internet really changed the game for resale tickets.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: October 21, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »
$709 for game 3 SRO right now on Stubhub.

That's a decline of about 30%.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #8: October 22, 2019, 08:38:14 AM »
:clap:

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #9: October 25, 2019, 01:50:42 PM »
For those of you going tonight, get loud for those of us in Texas wearing our Nationals gear! On a different note while at Game 1 in Houston, Joe Ross tossed me a ball out of the blue right after the game ended when he was walking back to the Nationals dugout. Pretty awesome to say the least - and now my daughters have a ball to throw back and forth once they're both old enough to play catch together.

Two other little notes of interest - they were selling autographed jerseys in the stadium - picked up a Soto jersey prior to the game starting for $550. Trout's jersey was $900 - but who wants a Trout jersey when you can have Juan Soto's.

I was standing in the check out line at the Astros team store prior to the game starting - it was a forty minute wait just to PAY for anything (the other two team stores had 45 minute lines to get in the door). A random Nationals fan asked me to pay for a couple of items for her since I was getting close to the front (she gave me the cash for her items). I was like "no problem". After paying for the items and meeting her outside of the store, she said "thank you" and then proceeded to give me a gift wrapped box with a Nationals ribbon on it. She then indicated she was Erick Fedde's other half and the Astros had given all of the Nationals guests those little gift boxes. The gesture was pretty kind to say the least and gave my kids a nice surprise the next morning when they woke up. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: October 25, 2019, 01:50:46 PM »
You must have had a blast. Tell us more.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #11: October 25, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
The seats were incredible - the Astros fans were quite kind - I guess the Yankees fans were what you typically expect from NY. A couple Astros fans in our row were playing "pass the pot" for each hitter that was up and my buddy and I got in on the action (Zimmerman homered when I was holding the money - so I pocketed a couple bucks early on and was playing with house money). The older fans with season tickets realized quite quickly I was one of those "louder" fans trying to get our fan base going, so they were definitely having fun attempting to drown me out throughout the game. Matt Adams had a good laugh from some of the comments I was making while Cole was pitching. Parra engaged the Astros' season ticket holder in front of me who was reminding the Nationals of Scherzer's pitch count after every SINGLE pitch. He would then ask the fan what pitch should Scherzer throw to the next batter - this went on for a good half inning. It was just a good time - and obviously the W made it even better.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #12: October 25, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »
The seats were incredible - the Astros fans were quite kind - I guess the Yankees fans were what you typically expect from NY. A couple Astros fans in our row were playing "pass the pot" for each hitter that was up and my buddy and I got in on the action (Zimmerman homered when I was holding the money - so I pocketed a couple bucks early on and was playing with house money). The older fans with season tickets realized quite quickly I was one of those "louder" fans trying to get our fan base going, so they were definitely having fun attempting to drown me out throughout the game. Matt Adams had a good laugh from some of the comments I was making while Cole was pitching. Parra engaged the Astros' season ticket holder in front of me who was reminding the Nationals of Scherzer's pitch count after every SINGLE pitch. He would then ask the fan what pitch should Scherzer throw to the next batter - this went on for a good half inning. It was just a good time - and obviously the W made it even better.

Great stories and thank you for sharing.

Offline miller10

« Reply #13: October 25, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »

That's great.  I was surprised at the Astros fans not booing any of our players doing introductions (at least I couldn't hear it over the tv). 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: October 25, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
Awesome.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #16: October 25, 2019, 05:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the followup to your original post and more thanks for the followup to the followup.  A fun read.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #17: October 25, 2019, 05:21:04 PM »
Well played!  :clap:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #18: October 25, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
So you're the other Nats fan in San Antonio?  I lived in DC area for 11 years, but we moved to San Antonio last year. I was considering taking a road trip to Houston, but it's not likely.  I'm curious, so let me know if you have any advice on scoring 1 or 2 tickets in Houston.

I actually live there too. :lol: Moved there after college - was more than done with winters and wanted no part of the insane cost of living in the mid-Atlantic.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: October 25, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »
Spent spring break this year in SA, Fredricksburg, and Austin. Awesome places.