Author Topic: Rizzo Renewed by Marky Mark & the In-Laws  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Rizzo Renewed by Marky Mark & the In-Laws
« Reply #100: April 07, 2024, 10:55:19 AM »
No one has refuted my point that it’s rare to have sustained success over a 15-20 year period.  The Braves had three consecutive 90 loss seasons from 2015-17.  Tampa was basically five hundred or below around the same time period for four years including a 90 loss season.  The Giants have had one winning season since 2017 I believe after winning three titles.  So yea the Nats are not a top five or ten organization in baseball.  We know that. If they had signed some veterans to make them a .500 team the last couple of years would that have made them closer to a real contender? No.  The test will be once the young guys are up will the owners give Rizzo the go ahead to sign free agents. He actually has a good track record with that. He’s not a top GM but he is not a bottom GM either.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #101: April 07, 2024, 10:58:27 AM »
I think the crux of the issue is that the Nats aren’t even trying. If they had signed say an 3B, 1B, and a starter this past off season, we’d likely have a shot at a wild card. I get that they are waiting for the next core to develop but there’s no guarantee that happens.

And they need to lock up Abrams.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #102: April 07, 2024, 11:06:47 AM »
I think the crux of the issue is that the Nats aren’t even trying. If they had signed say an 3B, 1B, and a starter this past off season, we’d likely have a shot at a wild card. I get that they are waiting for the next core to develop but there’s no guarantee that happens.

Ideally you would be signing players to short term deals while you develop talent, and then trade the players you sign short term deals with before the contract expires. The Nats have gone in the direction of signing a bunch of reclamation projects and hoping that they can flip them each season. So far, that has only worked with Candelario.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #103: April 07, 2024, 11:09:00 AM »
I think the crux of the issue is that the Nats aren’t even trying.

It goes beyond that...they are deliberately not trying.

They haven't simply checked out...they are giving the fans base the finger.

In Marky's spring letter to the fans, he said this team would be fun to watch.  They are not...

Offline imref

« Reply #104: April 07, 2024, 11:15:29 AM »
They are if you root for an opposing team. Maybe that’s what he meant?

Offline imref

« Reply #105: April 07, 2024, 11:16:22 AM »
Ideally you would be signing players to short term deals while you develop talent, and then trade the players you sign short term deals with before the contract expires. The Nats have gone in the direction of signing a bunch of reclamation projects and hoping that they can flip them each season. So far, that has only worked with Candelario.

Lester too to be fair.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #106: April 07, 2024, 11:38:20 AM »

You’ve already penciled in Wood, Crews, House and Morales for 2025.  And now you want them to sign guys and contend for a wild card this year?  One year contracts? I guess that was possible.  We might have to revoke your Sunshine Squad privileges. 

We’re back in contention for a top pick for 2025.  Last year would have been the year to sign guys to make a run at wild card. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #107: April 07, 2024, 11:40:13 AM »
Dollar General approach. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #108: April 07, 2024, 11:55:01 AM »
Also isn’t it better to bottom out and get the high draft picks rather than staying in the middle and not being a real competitor?  People always scream for tanking until the losses come in large numbers.

I think only the Dodgers and Yankees have been competitive over the last 15 years.  Only the big money teams can stay on top. 

ask the braves

Offline imref

« Reply #109: April 07, 2024, 11:59:06 AM »
Tampa has been pretty competitive without spending a ton of money.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #110: April 07, 2024, 12:03:02 PM »
Tampa has been pretty competitive without spending a ton of money.
Scouting and development.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #111: April 07, 2024, 12:04:06 PM »
ask the braves
Braves had three straight 90 loss seasons from 2015-17. Braves are 8th in payroll this year.  They are clearly spending money. 

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #112: April 07, 2024, 12:14:27 PM »

We all know what's going to ultimately happen with Abrams considering we watched it happen with all of our other players.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #113: April 07, 2024, 12:17:52 PM »
Braves had three straight 90 loss seasons from 2015-17. Braves are 8th in payroll this year.  They are clearly spending money. 

3 straight? Those poor fans

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #114: April 07, 2024, 12:19:37 PM »
Scouting and development.
Shrewd trades also. They have picked many pitchers off the scrap heap and worked miracles.  They are the exception. Not the rule. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #115: April 07, 2024, 12:26:17 PM »
3 straight? Those poor fans
Don’t be a buttercup.  If you were an Orioles fan you would have given up years ago. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #116: April 07, 2024, 12:31:24 PM »
Don’t be a buttercup.  If you were an Orioles fan you would have given up years ago. 

With good reason. The way the nats tore down a World Series team is Marlinsesque. What they’ve done since then is a joke

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: April 07, 2024, 01:32:10 PM »
With good reason. The way the nats tore down a World Series team is Marlinsesque. What they’ve done since then is a joke
Genius.  We got a number two overall pick and will have another top three pick in 2025. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #118: April 07, 2024, 01:45:18 PM »
Genius.  We got a number two overall pick and will have another top three pick in 2025. 

Cool, we have a last place team and, now that Strasburg is retired, a bottom 5 payroll. For all of that, we gave a middling farm system

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #119: April 07, 2024, 02:02:30 PM »
Cool, we have a last place team and, now that Strasburg is retired, a bottom 5 payroll. For all of that, we gave a middling farm system
Crews, Wood, House and Cavalli will all be all stars.  Morales right behind them. Young and Lipscomb and Rutledge filling in.  They will be writing stories about how Rizzo put it together.  Just say you believe.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #120: April 07, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »
Plus we are tied for third place. 

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #121: April 07, 2024, 04:38:40 PM »
Crews, Wood, House and Cavalli will all be all stars.

We don't know that, especially with Cavalli who has walked around 4 batters per 9 IP throughout his minors career.  All Stars maybe as the one team representative but while they're our most promising prospects, there aren't as many high ceiling prospects in the org as there should be.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #122: April 07, 2024, 05:02:45 PM »
We don't know that, especially with Cavalli who has walked around 4 batters per 9 IP throughout his minors career.  All Stars maybe as the one team representative but while they're our most promising prospects, there aren't as many high ceiling prospects in the org as there should be.
I’m to channel my sunshine mode. Don’t rain on my parade. 

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #123: April 07, 2024, 05:19:32 PM »
I’m to channel my sunshine mode. Don’t rain on my parade.

Fair enough, I hope you're right.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #124: April 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM »
Fair enough, I hope you're right.
It won’t happen.  :hysterical: