Author Topic: How Would You Grade the Rebuild So Far?  (Read 743 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: How Would You Grade the Rebuild So Far?
« Reply #50: April 13, 2024, 07:06:24 PM »
Just need another trade with the Padres.
should have gotten Campusano for Max and Trea.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #51: April 16, 2024, 09:06:19 AM »
I forgot Lannan appeared in 2012, but he made 6 starts over 32 IP and won 4 of them. Gray's stuff is better than Lannan, but his results aren't.

Gray needs improvement in refining his pitches rather than just adding more. He can't succeed without better command
Lannan actually debuted in 2012 for a big moment. The Nats had cooled of from the ridiculous open to the season and were on a three game losing streak playing the Braves, who were only a couple games behind, and John Lannan had a good start in a 5-2 win on the back end of a double header to stabilize the ship in an uncomfortable moment. Very rarely does a regular season game stick out in my brain for more than a few weeks, but I always remember that game. I wasn't even there and didn't watch it live, but it somehow occupies a place in my mind.

I wonder sometimes if Josiah Gray would be better liked if he was the #3 or #4 pitcher versus the guy the Nationals had to start on opening day.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52: April 16, 2024, 09:18:20 AM »
I wonder sometimes if Josiah Gray would be better liked if he was the #3 or #4 pitcher versus the guy the Nationals had to start on opening day.
Ideally, a healthy Cavalli slots in behind Gore, so Gray gets pushed down to #3 or #4, depending on whether we acquire a lead dog.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #53: April 16, 2024, 09:21:43 AM »
2025 should be Cavalli, Gore, Gray, and Irvin with Parker and Rutledge battling for #5.

That's not terrible, assuming Gray fixes whatever is hurting him.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #54: April 16, 2024, 09:28:56 AM »
2025 should be Cavalli, Gore, Gray, and Irvin with Parker and Rutledge battling for #5.

That's not terrible, assuming Gray fixes whatever is hurting him.
I would think that Rizzo would try to acquire a #1 FA pitcher like Scherzer to anchor the rotation. That being said it would be the FA, Gore, Cavalli, Irvin  with Gray, Parker and Rutledge battling for #5.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #55: April 16, 2024, 11:31:01 AM »
I forgot Lannan appeared in 2012, but he made 6 starts over 32 IP and won 4 of them. Gray's stuff is better than Lannan, but his results aren't.

Gray needs improvement in refining his pitches rather than just adding more. He can't succeed without better command

John Lannan was the poor mans Dick Bosman.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #56: April 16, 2024, 11:34:01 AM »

John Lannan was the poor mans Dick Bosman.

I liked Lannan, but very poor man’s Bosman. Boz had a no-hitter during his career, for goodness sake. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #57: April 16, 2024, 12:38:21 PM »
I would think that Rizzo would try to acquire a #1 FA pitcher like Scherzer to anchor the rotation. That being said it would be the FA, Gore, Cavalli, Irvin  with Gray, Parker and Rutledge battling for #5.

Scherzer signing was lightning in a bottle - FA pitchers almost never work out. Having said that, you'd definitely need a horse to anchor the rotation with the talent that's currently on the roster/minors

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #58: April 16, 2024, 12:41:03 PM »
Here's the list of top FA pitchers for next year:

Gerrit Cole (opt-out), Blake Snell (opt-out), Justin Verlander (vesting option), Max Scherzer, Corbin Burnes, Clayton Kershaw (player option), Max Fried, Shane Bieber, Jordan Montgomery (vesting option), Walker Buehler, Nathan Eovaldi (vesting option), Robbie Ray (opt-out), Alex Cobb, Kyle Hendricks, Charlie Morton, Freddy Peralta (club option), Merrill Kelly (club option), Lucas Giolito (player option), Sean Manaea (opt-out), Michael Wacha (player option), Wade Miley (mutual option), Michael Lorenzen, Lance Lynn (club option), Kyle Gibson (club option), Luis Severino, Frankie Montas (mutual option), James Paxton, Jack Flaherty, Yusei Kikuchi, Patrick Corbin, Anthony DeSclafani, Nick Pivetta, Martín Pérez, Domingo Germán, Marco Gonzales (club option), Andrew Heaney, Eric Lauer, John Means, Zach Plesac, José Quintana, Michael Soroka, Ross Stripling, Spencer Turnbull, Luke Weaver, Alex Wood

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #59: April 16, 2024, 01:02:44 PM »
With as bad as pitching is right now health-wise, I would buy pitching in bulk. Take risks on iffy ERAs to see if you can improve them.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #60: April 16, 2024, 01:07:36 PM »
With as bad as pitching is right now health-wise, I would buy pitching in bulk. Take risks on iffy ERAs to see if you can improve them.

Not with Hickey as pitching coach. We haven’t had a good one since the guy left for the Cards.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: April 16, 2024, 01:27:46 PM »

Gerrit Cole (opt-out), Blake Snell (opt-out), Justin Verlander (vesting option), Max Scherzer, Corbin Burnes, Clayton Kershaw (player option), Max Fried, Shane Bieber, Jordan Montgomery (vesting option), Walker Buehler, Nathan Eovaldi (vesting option), Robbie Ray (opt-out), Alex Cobb, Kyle Hendricks, Charlie Morton, Freddy Peralta (club option), Merrill Kelly (club option), Lucas Giolito (player option), Sean Manaea (opt-out), Michael Wacha (player option), Wade Miley (mutual option), Michael Lorenzen, Lance Lynn (club option), Kyle Gibson (club option), Luis Severino, Frankie Montas (mutual option), James Paxton, Jack Flaherty, Yusei Kikuchi, Patrick Corbin, Anthony DeSclafani, Nick Pivetta, Martín Pérez, Domingo Germán, Marco Gonzales (club option), Andrew Heaney, Eric Lauer, John Means, Zach Plesac, José Quintana, Michael Soroka, Ross Stripling, Spencer Turnbull, Luke Weaver, Alex Wood
I'd go for a vet on short years, and look for a #2 sort rather than a #1. I think by the end of the year Gore will be solid #2 masquerading as the #1.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #62: April 16, 2024, 01:38:40 PM »

Nice job with coming up with this list. With Corbin and Williams leaving after this year we need to get at least one reliable pitcher from this list. Buehler if healthy and back to his old self would be my preference but a lot of guys on this list would work.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #63: April 16, 2024, 02:30:04 PM »
Cole's isn't a real opt-out. Yankees can nullify it by adding one more year to his current contract.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #64: April 16, 2024, 10:08:10 PM »
Grade what rebuild? I'll give them an A in tanking.