Author Topic: Offseason moves?  (Read 146165 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Offseason moves?
« Reply #25: August 02, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »
Get a new manager.  That's probably the only substantive move I see and really the only one that is all that necessary.  Wouldn't mind moving Soriano.  You'll see some supporting parts, bullpen and bench pieces, perhaps a vet starter.  That's about it.  I don't see anything drastic from the starters or the rotation being changed.  Don't really think they need to, they just need a reset button and a new manager should help push it.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #26: August 02, 2013, 12:29:42 AM »
Get a new manager.  That's probably the only substantive move I see and really the only one that is all that necessary.  Wouldn't mind moving Soriano.  You'll see some supporting parts, bullpen and bench pieces, perhaps a vet starter.  That's about it.  I don't see anything drastic from the starters or the rotation being changed.  Don't really think they need to, they just need a reset button and a new manager should help push it.

Well they do need a fifth starter.  Maybe Taylor Jordan, but I wouldn't be surprised if ol' Mike goes out and does what he did with Peacock and Milone and try to land another proven vet.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #27: August 02, 2013, 12:53:34 AM »
Well they do need a fifth starter.  Maybe Taylor Jordan, but I wouldn't be surprised if ol' Mike goes out and does what he did with Pea**** and Milone and try to land another proven vet.

I wouldn't be surprised either, but for our sake I hope it's a young guy with a future to move up in the rotation next year. Jackson was all right, Haren was deplorable, and Detwiler was a nice surprise while Lannan looked pretty good for us. I really hope it's a young guy still learning the ropes.

I'm not exactly impressed with Taylor Jordan but I wouldn't be upset if it was him either. I don't know about any other minor league guys but I'm willing to give them a chance too, though, because freak it, why not?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #28: August 02, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »
Or sign josh johnson to a one year deal he is sure to turn it around right?!
This will happen for real. There is no doubt in my mind at all. He'll be our E-Jax/Haren next season for sure.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #29: August 02, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
It'd be nice to find another starter that isn't just a 1 year rental like EJ and Haren.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: August 02, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
It'd be nice to find another starter that isn't just a 1 year rental like EJ and Haren.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/2014-mlb-free-agents.html

here's the list. Garza maybe? Someone will take a risk on Lincecum and either look like a genius or an idiot, lots of fading stars on there too

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #31: August 02, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

I get the sense they're hoping one of the young guys steps it up and if not then it'll be another Haren/EJax type.

I want a bat - someone who hits with RISP routinely.

Offline sph274

« Reply #32: August 02, 2013, 12:00:20 PM »

here's the list. Garza maybe? Someone will take a risk on Lincecum and either look like a genius or an idiot, lots of fading stars on there too

I feel like Lincenum gets that one year make good treatment. Same with Johnson. Those deals don't always fail spectacularly, I would be down to try again, especially with Jordan and Karns in the wings. If Lincecum sucks at starting, we know he can be good in relief

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: August 02, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »
I feel like Lincenum gets that one year make good treatment. Same with Johnson. Those deals don't always fail spectacularly, I would be down to try again, especially with Jordan and Karns in the wings. If Lincecum sucks at starting, we know he can be good in relief

I think someone gets stupid and give Lincecum multiple years- maybe I'll be wrong, but I think some GM will think his pitching coach can take him back to form

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: August 02, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
eh, they're trying to bridge the time to when Jordan or Cole or Purke or Karns can handle this level.  That looks like either another one year guy or they ride with Jordan next year.  Considering the uncertainty of Ross's health, I'd guess one more one year rental is likely.  We're batting .500 on those right now.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #35: August 02, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
I get the sense they're hoping one of the young guys steps it up and if not then it'll be another Haren/EJax type.

I want a bat - someone who hits with RISP routinely.

I get the sentiment, but who would you see them flex out of the main 8 to get that guy there everyday?
going down the order, the guy we are least married to is Span, but he is supposed to BE the RISP.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: August 02, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
I get the sentiment, but who would you see them flex out of the main 8 to get that guy there everyday?
going down the order, the guy we are least married to is Span, but he is supposed to BE the RISP.

LaRoche?

I love Adam but we can improve there.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #37: August 02, 2013, 12:19:34 PM »

Phil Hughes is legitimately the only one I'd want on that list. Ervin Santana or Garza might be acceptable if they weren't too costly.

New manager, new hitting coach.

Sign another starter. Get Cole and/or Karns to the AFL for some work.

I don't see any ither moves. Rizzo won't give up on Span and Laroche after one season.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: August 02, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
Halladay's option clearly isn't gonna vest. Him or Lincecum on rebound years would be interesting.  Nolasco for a couple of years is intriguing, too.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #39: August 02, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
I think Lincecum still has some gas left in his tank as witnesses by his no-no.  However I also think someone will give him a multiyear deal which I am against because of our own young guys that should be ready in the near future. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #40: August 02, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
I think Lincecum still has some gas left in his tank as witnesses by his no-no.  However I also think someone will give him a multiyear deal which I am against because of our own young guys that should be ready in the near future. 
It's possible.  He's one I'd certainly kick the tires on, though.  I'd be really curious if Seattle doesn't go hard after him.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #41: August 02, 2013, 12:56:23 PM »
given we are talking about likely two bench spots and a 5th starter, i'd prefer the money spent on the bench spots, and 5th starter be the low $, in house side of things.

Haren can make one gun-shy, and I'd love to se some professional bench bats

if the budget allows for decent money on all so be it, but I doubt it

Offline sph274

« Reply #42: August 02, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
i dont think there is any way in hell lincecum gets more than a one year deal. Have you seen his stats for the year? he flashes some brilliance occasionally but other times he gets crushed. who would give that guy big dollars long term? nobody, hence the one year deal.

Offline sph274

« Reply #43: August 02, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
It's possible.  He's one I'd certainly kick the tires on, though.  I'd be really curious if Seattle doesn't go hard after him.

why would seattle go after him? they have loads of young pitching and they aren't gonna compete next year. that would make zero sense. They have the best RH and LH starting pitching prospects in the game, paired with Felix.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: August 02, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
why would seattle go after him? they have loads of young pitching and they aren't gonna compete next year. that would make zero sense. They have the best RH and LH starting pitching prospects in the game, paired with Felix.
Well, if you think there's not shot at him getting more than a one year deal, then it might not make sense, but if there's a team that would sign him to a multi year deal (and I think there will be, not huge guranteed dollars and probably incentive laden), Seattle'd be at the top of the list.  Young, up and coming team and the chance to return home, I'd think could be very appealing to both sides.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: August 02, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »
given we are talking about likely two bench spots and a 5th starter, i'd prefer the money spent on the bench spots, and 5th starter be the low $, in house side of things.

Haren can make one gun-shy, and I'd love to se some professional bench bats

if the budget allows for decent money on all so be it, but I doubt it

get Morales, LaR on the bench would be decently high money

Offline sph274

« Reply #46: August 02, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »
Well, if you think there's not shot at him getting more than a one year deal, then it might not make sense, but if there's a team that would sign him to a multi year deal (and I think there will be, not huge guranteed dollars and probably incentive laden), Seattle'd be at the top of the list.  Young, up and coming team and the chance to return home, I'd think could be very appealing to both sides.

from what i understand he has a huge following in san fran and loves it there. i never really put stock into the "he would love to return home" stuff. If I was from Washington state, moved to San Francisco and became a superstar, the last place i would want to go is home. especially to be a 4th starter on the Seattle Mariners, when I could potentially get a one year deal with a playoff team and leverage that into a huge FA deal anywhere I wanted.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #47: August 02, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »
from what i understand he has a huge following in san fran and loves it there. i never really put stock into the "he would love to return home" stuff. If I was from Washington state, moved to San Francisco and became a superstar, the last place i would want to go is home. especially to be a 4th starter on the Seattle Mariners, when I could potentially get a one year deal with a playoff team and leverage that into a huge FA deal anywhere I wanted.
Maybe, I'm not sure how Lincecum is wired.  Going home would be a huge draw for me.  If SF doesn't offer him a contract, all the good will between him and the fans and his love for the city will be irrelevant.  And, also, I'm not saying he'd want to go, I'm saying Seattle should be interested and make a strong push for him.

Offline sph274

« Reply #48: August 02, 2013, 02:00:12 PM »
Nats don't need much, just a few fundamental pieces.

Bullpen:
They need a closer/a bullpen arm that's simply an assassin. A guy that's like "Give me the ball and I'll sit 'em down". Clippard shows signs of that, and Ohlendorf was becoming it until Davey ran over his arm with a forklift.

Starters:
Speaking of Ross, Move him into the rotation. Strasburg and Gio have too much riding on their shoulders in that rotation (which can explain their outings). A Rotation of Stras, Gio, Det, Ohlendorf, and Taylor Jordan would be fantastic. Obviously dump Haren.

Field:
For the love of God, fix Zimmerman's shoulder or find a replacement. Perhaps Rendon @ 3rd would work when Espinosa comes back. Finding a good, durable catcher would also help. Brian McCann is a free agent this year, He'd fill holes in offense, leadership, and experience. Maybe look into adding a Right handed power bat as well. Werth is the only real right handed threat in Washington's line up right now.

Where is Jordan Zimmermann? Ramos can pull it together don't want McCann 30-35. Ross Is a rubber arm bullpen guy. He should not be in the starting rotation.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #49: August 02, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Nats don't need much, just a few fundamental pieces.

Bullpen:
They need a closer/a bullpen arm that's simply an assassin. A guy that's like "Give me the ball and I'll sit 'em down". Clippard shows signs of that, and Ohlendorf was becoming it until Davey ran over his arm with a forklift.

Starters:
Speaking of Ross, Move him into the rotation. Strasburg and Gio have too much riding on their shoulders in that rotation (which can explain their outings). A Rotation of Stras, Gio, Det, Ohlendorf, and Taylor Jordan would be fantastic. Obviously dump Haren.

Field:
For the love of God, fix Zimmerman's shoulder or find a replacement. Perhaps Rendon @ 3rd would work when Espinosa comes back. Finding a good, durable catcher would also help. Brian McCann is a free agent this year, He'd fill holes in offense, leadership, and experience. Maybe look into adding a Right handed power bat as well. Werth is the only real right handed threat in Washington's line up right now.

1 - we thought we did that with Soriano, didn't work yet, won't spend more money
2 - I'd like to know what you think we will get back in the trade of Jordan Zimmermann, because if Rizzo non tenders him I think I would have to kill him myself - tounge in cheek, I think you just overlooked him. He's quiet, happens sometimes.