Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)  (Read 26405 times)

Online 1995hoo

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)
« Reply #325: November 23, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
French toast for breakfast this morning. Extremely filling. Two slices are left over.

1/4 cup Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
1 vanilla bean, scraped
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
8–12 thick slices day-old bread
Butter for cooking French toast
Powdered sugar and syrup

In a bowl mix cream, milk, 1/4 cup of Maker’s Mark® Bourbon, sugar, egg yolks, whole eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and salt. Whisk until well-blended. Reserve until needed for the French toast. You can do this the day before and refrigerate, covered, overnight.

To make the French toast, pour the batter into a shallow baking dish. Allow the bread slices to soak in the custard until well-absorbed, at least 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 200°F.

Heat a griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.

Add butter to coat griddle.

Lower the heat to medium.

Cook the French toast in batches, about 4–5 minutes per side, until the color is golden brown. Repeat with remaining bread slices, cleaning the griddle with a paper towel between batches.

Keep the French toast warm in the oven on a sheet tray tented in foil until ready to serve.

Serve warm, dusted in powdered sugar, with syrup.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #326: November 23, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »
Challah is the ultimate French toast bread. Slice it the night before and leave it out.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #327: December 24, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »
This is Christmas dinner for 9 - should be good

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/marios-easy-roman-style-pork-roast

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #328: December 26, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »
This is Christmas dinner for 9 - should be good

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/marios-easy-roman-style-pork-roast

How was it? I posted that link in post 306 of this thread, but I haven't made it yet—thinking about making it next time my parents are over.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #329: December 26, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the original post - the relatives loved it.  It took longer to cook than described - like an extra hour.  So I should have covered it it tin foil for the 1st half of the cooking time.

The butcher didn't quite cut the meat how I expected.  He took a large piece of pork and butterflied it, but really cut it in half.  So each half was 3-4 inches thick.  Would have been better to be 1 inch thick and more spread out, then rolled with the filling.

The relatives were all over the fennel/sausage flavored filling.  And the pork was very tender, so overall it was a big hit.  We had 11 people, so the pork piece was large.  A smaller crowd would be easeir to make this for.  But it was a big hit for our Christmas dinner.

Lots of leftovers, for I made too much.  But we will have pork tacos, pork chili, ....  The base flavor of fennel was a big hit. 

How was it? I posted that link in post 306 of this thread, but I haven't made it yet—thinking about making it next time my parents are over.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #330: December 26, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
Our nephew here in Fort Myers got an infrared turkey “fryer” for Christmas and used it to make yesterday’s dinner. I put “fryer” in quotation marks because it doesn’t use any oil—it reflects heat. But the turkey came out with glorious crispy skin and juicy meat like a deep-fried bird. (The box says it cooks up to a 16-pound bird, but this one fit even though it was 22.)

I may have to get one of these if I can figure out where to store it. I’ve wanted a fryer but am wary of an oil fryer on our deck in the middle of a row of six townhouses. This seems much safer.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #331: December 26, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
That sounds great.  Here is an example of one for $100

https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-fryer

Our nephew here in Fort Myers got an infrared turkey “fryer” for Christmas and used it to make yesterday’s dinner. I put “fryer” in quotation marks because it doesn’t use any oil—it reflects heat. But the turkey came out with glorious crispy skin and juicy meat like a deep-fried bird. (The box says it cooks up to a 16-pound bird, but this one fit even though it was 22.)

I may have to get one of these if I can figure out where to store it. I’ve wanted a fryer but am wary of an oil fryer on our deck in the middle of a row of six townhouses. This seems much safer.

(Image removed from quote.)

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #332: December 26, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
That’s the one he has.

Offline Mathguy

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #334: December 31, 2017, 08:38:28 PM »
Brother-in-law gave me a bunch of dear meat for Christmas.  Grilled up some venison burgers for the first time tonight and they were delicious.  Happy New Year to all!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #335: January 01, 2018, 10:28:38 PM »
2017 is locked.  If the spirit moves you, start your own 2018 thread.