Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 44114 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
He's never been a great defender ...  yet has repeated nominations for gold glove and advanced metrics that say he's a good defender (advanced metrics that also account for baserunners advancing on throws, FYI)

But sure, not a good fielder.

He's above average...and you know what that means...

Online Natsinpwc

Victors dWAR from Baseball Reference since 2019:

2019.  2.7
2020  -0.2 (short season)
2021. 0.2
2022. 1.6
2023.  -0.9. (Injury shortened season)

So he has generally regressed.  He certainly can chase balls down and has a decent arms but on a team like the Nats it does not really offset his weak hitting.  In contrast I looked at the Phillies Johan Rojas. His dWAR last year was 1.7.  In just 59 games.  Now that’s a valuable defensive player who you might want to keep in the lineup despite weak hitting. 

At this point in time getting worked about him being on the team or not playing is useless.  He’s not part of the team going forward.  A placeholder at best.  If Victor can draw walks like he has and steal bases that will help keep him in MLB. 

Online Natsinpwc

He's above average...and you know what that means...
:rimshot:

Offline Senatorswin

With the Nats having below average hitting I think they need to make up for it as much as they can by running and defense. That's why I would of kept Young up and put him in left. That would of had great outfield defense and speed. Robles did what they need tonight. He got on twice and ran as soon as he reached.

Offline nobleisthyname

Victors dWAR from Baseball Reference since 2019:

2019.  2.7
2020  -0.2 (short season)
2021. 0.2
2022. 1.6
2023.  -0.9. (Injury shortened season)

So he has generally regressed.  He certainly can chase balls down and has a decent arms but on a team like the Nats it does not really offset his weak hitting.  In contrast I looked at the Phillies Johan Rojas. His dWAR last year was 1.7.  In just 59 games.  Now that’s a valuable defensive player who you might want to keep in the lineup despite weak hitting. 

At this point in time getting worked about him being on the team or not playing is useless.  He’s not part of the team going forward.  A placeholder at best.  If Victor can draw walks like he has and steal bases that will help keep him in MLB.

Baseball Reference WAR still uses DRS for its dWAR, which is the most outdated of the three "advanced" fielding metrics (UZR, DRS, OAA). By OAA which is what Fangraphs and Baseball Savant use, Robles was as good a defender in 2022 as Johan Rojas was last season.

Last year Robles was negative defensively, but he was also dealing with the back injury.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Rizzo should be working non-stop to trade Victor if he's not going to play him. There has to be a team out there that would want him in exchange for a mid-level prospect.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Rizzo should be working non-stop to trade Victor if he's not going to play him. There has to be a team out there that would want him in exchange for a mid-level prospect.
he is getting into games. He's just for now a short-side of a platoon starter who is a defensive replacement and pinch runner. He has room to expand that role as other players get hurt or miss games. If he rips the heck out of the ball and one of Rosario / Winker / Meneses bombs out (or maybe even Gallo exhausts their patience), then he'll get his chance.

Online aspenbubba

he is getting into games. He's just for now a short-side of a platoon starter who is a defensive replacement and pinch runner. He has room to expand that role as other players get hurt or miss games. If he rips the heck out of the ball and one of Rosario / Winker / Meneses bombs out (or maybe even Gallo exhausts their patience), then he'll get his chance.

My thought is DM wants to get Rosario AB's as he was a late arrival to ST. Also, he is hoping the 5M investment in Gallo eventually gets un-tracked and has a small ROI .

Online Natsinpwc

LOL. 

Offline imref

Time to play the comparison game:

CF-A:
29 years old: 2617 ABs .256 / .309 / .385, OPS+ 91, 39 SBs, 25 HRs, 8.2 oWAR, 4.1 dWAR

CF-B:
26 years old: 1587 ABs, .238 / .312 / .359, OPS+82, 68 SBs, 31 HRs, 3.7 oWAR, 3.7 dWAR

CF-A just signed a 2/$19 million contract with a third team-option year.

CF-A is Manuel Margot, CF-B is Vic

Vic absolutely has value.

Online Natsinpwc

No one is going to trade for a partial year of Victor at his contract.  They can just wait and sign him in the off-season if they really want him.  Some team will.  Just as the Nats signed Senzel. 

The Margot contract and his trades were a bit complicated. I don’t think Tampa is on the hook for the full amounts.  He was already under contract for 2024 I believe.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/dodgers-trade-manuel-margot-to-twins-just-months-after-acquisition-bring-back-enrique-hernandez/

MAT signed for $4 million.  That would seem to be the market for Victor. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
LOL.

Agreed...if anyone wanted him, he'd be gone by now...

Offline imref

Triple tonight

Offline imref

3-5, SB tonight. He should be back soon.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
If Young is hurt, then get Robles to Washington. That should be his last chance. If Robles plays the way he always has, then cut him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
well, it's back spasms, so maybe they can dig up Dmitri Young's masseuse. FWIW, Davey's expectation is to play Robles in right some if Young is healthy. Sounds like Call may be the odd man out, which is OK.

Offline IanRubbish

Sounds like Call may be the odd man out, which is OK.

Keeping Rosario over Call is insanity.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Keeping Rosario over Call is insanity.
I don't think they go with 3 righty bats and Winker as the OF, especially when Call's best asset is his D. They'll keep the lefty bat until Gallo is back, then make a decision.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Vic DH'd today and went 1 for 3 with a walk, a K, and 2 runs.

23 PAs in Rochester, .350 / .435 / .500. 6 Ks. He's probably close.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Vic is back
I don't think the question will be Robles or Jacob Young, I think it has to be if they want Robles or Rosario getting ABs. Jacob Young has earned a starting role.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I don't think the question will be Robles or Jacob Young, I think it has to be if they want Robles or Rosario getting ABs. Jacob Young has earned a starting role.
My guess is they start with Robles and Rosario in a

<--------------

That was the plan at the start of the year. It's just the platoon will be in right, not center.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
The Vic came back, they thought he was a goner
But the Vic came back, it just couldn't stay away

Offline awbb

Because I’m senile, is Robles (and Stras’ contract) the only player left from the 2019 WS roster?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Because I’m senile, is Robles (and Stras’ contract) the only player left from the 2019 WS roster?
Corbin and Rainey