Author Topic: Who will be on the 26 man roster Opening Day?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/top-prospects-in-2024-major-league-spring-training-camp?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Article goes through all the rosters in MLB, looks at the MLB Pipeline-ranked players in still in MLB camp (both top 100 overall and top 30 by team, and rates their likelihood of making the OD roster. They break players down by Locks, Contenders, Long Shots, and Injured.  For example, Evan Carter is a Lock, while Wyatt Langford is just a contender because his only route to the OD roster is as a DH. I suppose unstated might be manipulation of service time, too.

For the Nats, there are no Locks, Lipscomb and Nunez are contenders, and just about everyone else from Wood and Crews to Pineda and Millas are long shots.

Trey Lipscomb, INF (No. 16) -- Lipscomb has carried a hot bat throughout Grapefruit League play, posting a .964 OPS with seven RBIs and four extra-base hits. Strong stats notwithstanding, it's the 23-year-old's versatility that has inmpressed the Nats to the point of giving Lipscomb a legitimate chance at making the Opening Day roster.

Nasim Nuñez, 2B/SS (No. 19) -- After being selected in the Rule 5 Draft by the Nationals, Nuñez could find a utility or bench role alongside Jesse Winker and Ildemaro Vargas to begin the season. The former Marlin has not had a strong spring, but if he fails to crack the roster, he will have to be offered back to Miami.

The listed Long Shots are: Crews, Wood, House, Hassell, Young, Millas, and Pineda.
All are still in big league camp with less than a week to play, but with most needing more Minor League time and roster spots limited, they're extremely unlikely to crack the Opening Day roster.

Lipscomb would be a big surprise. I think it would mean offering back Nunez or cutting Vargas. I think they would want Lipscomb to get regular at bats, and I don't see them as making Senzel the left fielder or benching Garcia. Perhaps they would try to get Lipscomb 400 PAs as sort of a super-utility, playing 2nd against lefties a lot, playing some at 3rd and some in left against righties, and perhaps giving CJ an occasional off-day, especially if Nunez doesn't make the team.

Offline Senatorswin

I would prefer an outfield of Young in left, Robles in center and Thomas in right to start the season. You'd have a lockdown outfield defensively and speed on the bases. I'd have them steal every chance they got.

Offline Mattionals

I would prefer an outfield of Young in left, Robles in center and Thomas in right to start the season. You'd have a lockdown outfield defensively and speed on the bases. I'd have them steal every chance they got.
Based on the spring, I'd run this roster:

1. SS - Abrams
2. RF - Thomas
3. DH - Winker
4. 1B - Meneses
5. C - Ruiz
6. 3B - Lipscomb
7. 2B - Garcia Jr.
8. CF - Robles
9. LF - Young

Bench - Call, Vargas, Adams, Nunez

SP - Gray, Corbin, Irvin, Gore, Williams
Bullpen - Finnegan, Harvey, Rainey, Weems, Law, La Sorsa, Jacob Barnes, Parker

This would require 40-Man moves, mostly jettisoning dead weight Gallo and Senzel, but the bullpen is mostly guys who were NRI.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
seems the cuts are coming late. It looks like Davey is lobbying for Lipscomb based on what he has been saying.

Offline aspenbubba

Based on the spring, I'd run this roster:

1. SS - Abrams
2. RF - Thomas
3. DH - Winker
4. 1B - Meneses
5. C - Ruiz
6. 3B - Lipscomb
7. 2B - Garcia Jr.
8. CF - Robles
9. LF - Young

Bench - Call, Vargas, Adams, Nunez

SP - Gray, Corbin, Irvin, Gore, Williams
Bullpen - Finnegan, Harvey, Rainey, Weems, Law, La Sorsa, Jacob Barnes, Parker

This would require 40-Man moves, mostly jettisoning dead weight Gallo and Senzel, but the bullpen is mostly guys who were NRI.

They are not jettisoning Gallo and Senzel due to the guaranteed contracts. Rosario should be on the OD roster
also. We know who Call is and he is not coming north. I acknowledge your lineup is based on merit but Rizzo made some bad signings.

Offline Mattionals

They are not jettisoning Gallo and Senzel due to the guaranteed contracts. Rosario should be on the OD roster
also. We know who Call is and he is not coming north. I acknowledge your lineup is based on merit but Rizzo made some bad signings.
It was if I was the GM and didn't care about contracts.
I'm guessing we are looking at this:

1. SS - Abrams
2. RF - Thomas
3. 1B - Gallo
4. DH - Meneses
5. C - Ruiz
6. 3B - Senzel
7. 2B - Garcia Jr.
8. LF - Rosario
9. CF - Robles

Bench - Nunez, Call, Adams, Vargas

The pitchers honestly are still pretty set. The rotation for sure, and the bullpen, I think it's hard to not include the 4 guys NOT on the 40-man with how well they've pitched.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I see Lipscomb has become the new popular under the radar prospect.

Lipscomb, Alu, Baker .... Lombardozzi  ... all the same.

Offline Mattionals

I mean, you aren't wrong. Basically all of these guys are trying to be the next Ben Zobrist, and Zobrist himself was never a Top-100 ranked prospect. Lipscomb is more intriguing than Baker because there is more pop in his bat.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It was if I was the GM and didn't care about contracts.
I'm guessing we are looking at this:

1. SS - Abrams
2. RF - Thomas
3. 1B - Gallo
4. DH - Meneses
5. C - Ruiz
6. 3B - Senzel
7. 2B - Garcia Jr.
8. LF - Rosario
9. CF - Robles

Bench - Nunez, Call, Adams, Vargas

The pitchers honestly are still pretty set. The rotation for sure, and the bullpen, I think it's hard to not include the 4 guys NOT on the 40-man with how well they've pitched.

Winker over Call and I think you have the position players.

Offline aspenbubba

Winker over Call and I think you have the position players.

Yep.

Offline Natsinpwc

Crews, Wood, Hassell, House and Pineda all sent to minor league camp.  Lipscomb remains. Davies released. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Davies didn't earn his way onto the roster, so I can understand the release.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline imref

Full list of minor league assignments:

-LHP Richard Bleier
-LHP Joe La Sorsa
-3B Brady House
-1B Juan Yepez
-OF Dylan Crews
-OF Robert Hassell III
-OF James Wood
-C Israel Pineda

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I guess RoGar will be the only left in the bullpen.

Finnegan, Harvey, Rainey, Floro, RoGar, Weems, and 2  others. Law should make it,  then one of the Barneses

Online nobleisthyname

Kinda how I'm feeling about. I'm not convinced at all any of these guys will be better than García. They certainly weren't in the minors.

Offline imref

Lipscomb seems to be more in the running to beat out Senzel.

Offline Mattionals

Lipscomb seems to be more in the running to beat out Senzel.
Senzel is on an MLB contract though. Can't imagine owners releasing him this early, and his abysmal spring means no one will trade to take on his salary.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Senzel would be in the mix in the OF, too. I think he's on the team regardless of Lipscomb

Offline imref

Rosario assigned to minor league camp. Guess that opens the door for Winker?

Brzykcy to the 60-day IL

Offline Mattionals

Rosario assigned to minor league camp. Guess that opens the door for Winker?

Brzykcy to the 60-day IL
I figured Rosario was a lock, but maybe they are keeping Call?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Rosario probably could use PAs. I don't think he is in the minors a month.

Opens a slot for Call or possibly Young. If the plan is Winker in left,  then there needs to be a defensive backup. Otoh, I expect Senzel to get time there if Lips makes the team

Offline IanRubbish

Lipscomb has a super low K rate with 7 in 48 ABs.  Team must love that plus with the frustrations over Garcia, solid chance he makes it.  Of course, this being the Nats, Senzel will get his spot due to his contract.

Offline Mattionals

Lipscomb has a super low K rate with 7 in 48 ABs.  Team must love that plus with the frustrations over Garcia, solid chance he makes it.  Of course, this being the Nats, Senzel will get his spot due to his contract.
Senzel is a lock to make the team, even though he is hot garbage. My hope is that Senzel makes so little that his leash is short. Gallo should also have a short leash, but some how I bet ownership feels that 5M is too much to just cut him.