Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 176315 times)

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2350: December 18, 2016, 03:15:25 AM »
There was only one theater showing Bad Santa 2 tonight for some odd reason, but I liked it a lot.

It's very raunchy and sexualized. If you like the first, you'll probably like the second. Kind of surprised at how killed it's gotten online in reviews. The first is amazing, I watch multiple times every December. It's a nice foil to the usual Jimmy Shtewart feel-good movies.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #2351: December 19, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
Damn good movie. Wanted a darker movie, and they sure as hell made one. Like the idea of these standalones, but wish it wasn't Han getting one.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2352: December 19, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
Damn good movie. Wanted a darker movie, and they sure as hell made one. Like the idea of these standalones, but wish it wasn't Han getting one.
I don't understand the stand alone thing. Isn't the story still related to what happens in Episode 4?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2353: December 19, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »
The prequels were on one of the networks over the weekend.  Watched some of the Attack of the Clones one. Forgot how bad it was.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2354: December 19, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
I don't understand the stand alone thing. Isn't the story still related to what happens in Episode 4?

It's stand alone in that it's not part of the Episodic saga, though it's related. Sort of how the Wolverine movies or Deadpool aren't part of X-men, but related.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2355: December 19, 2016, 02:05:55 PM »
It's stand alone in that it's not part of the Episodic saga, though it's related. Sort of how the Wolverine movies or Deadpool aren't part of X-men, but related.
I never watched X men but think I understand.  Seems they could have come up with something better than stand alone.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2356: December 19, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
I never watched X men but think I understand.  Seems they could have come up with something better than stand alone.

Exactly, especially when they just had a new one last year that still needed to be resolved!!!!  I actually really liked that one and was psyched to see what happened next and then I'm sitting there like are you kidding, we've actually gone back in time AGAIN?  I don't even care anymore what happens after Rey meets Luke now  :evil:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2357: December 19, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
Saw Rogue One this past weekend and found it kind of meh, but then I've never been a big fan of the Star Wars franchise.  I enjoyed the last one more for the nostalgia than anything else.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2358: December 19, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
Exactly, especially when they just had a new one last year that still needed to be resolved!!!!  I actually really liked that one and was psyched to see what happened next and then I'm sitting there like are you kidding, we've actually gone back in time AGAIN?  I don't even care anymore what happens after Rey meets Luke now  :evil:
Maybe they can sew up Han Solo and he can come back also.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2359: December 19, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »
Maybe they can sew up Han Solo and he can come back also.

They brought back Peter Cushing for this one which was really kind of creepy so no, no more bringing dead guys back lol

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #2360: December 19, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
Damn, skip, you really hated it! Personally, I loved that it created new stories, tied up some older storylines, and made use of older characters seemingly just for fun. None HAD to be in the movie to make it great, but they also didn't take away anything with their addition!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2361: December 19, 2016, 05:51:20 PM »
Damn, skip, you really hated it! Personally, I loved that it created new stories, tied up some older storylines, and made use of older characters seemingly just for fun. None HAD to be in the movie to make it great, but they also didn't take away anything with their addition!
lol I think I just hated thinking it was going to be a continuation of last year's and it was some new thing with new characters, I mean did everyone know this was not going to have anything to do with The Force Awakens?? I guess I'm not that big a fun to want a whole new story going on before I know what happens to all the people I started to like in the last one. 

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #2362: December 19, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »
Yeah, it was announced with the "new" trilogy with the plotline between 3 & 4! Sorry!
It's more about churning the cash cow (Episode VIII comes next year, IX in 2019). If they can drop in great stories and movies set in between, you know they will!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2363: December 19, 2016, 07:40:38 PM »
It's Disney's way- look at what they're doing with the avengers-  main story line movies with ancillary shows that kind of tie in at the same time

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2364: December 19, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
New Blade Runner (2049)

! No longer available

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2365: December 22, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2366: December 23, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »
Upon the recommendation of my brother-in-law, I watched "Everybody Wants Some".      Don't.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2367: December 24, 2016, 04:52:45 PM »
 Passengers was a big bowl of meh.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2368: December 24, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
Passengers was a big bowl of meh.

I'm not a Jennifer Lawrence fan   ....   though I like some of the characters she plays.    :shrug:

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #2369: December 24, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
I'm not a Jennifer Lawrence fan   ....   though I like some of the characters she plays.    :shrug:

She's a babe. I'm with you though. Liked her in Silver Linings Playbook & American Hustle, but haven't liked (or seen?) anything else

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2370: December 24, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »
She's a babe. I'm with you though. Liked her in Silver Linings Playbook & American Hustle, but haven't liked (or seen?) anything else

Those are the two parts I mentioned to the missus.

Online Slateman

« Reply #2371: December 24, 2016, 06:33:23 PM »

First Hunger Games.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2372: December 24, 2016, 10:08:09 PM »
Saw Rogue One. I think if A: you liked Episode 4 and B: you are not toting a kid under age 9ish, you'll have a good time. If you actively disliked Episode 4, you will actively dislike the movie. If you have never seen Episode 4, you'll probably be fairly confused for much of it.

Since my wife and I fall squarely into the first category, it was a great time. Enjoyed it a lot.

Online Slateman

« Reply #2373: December 25, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »
Saw Rogue One. I think if A: you liked Episode 4 and B: you are not toting a kid under age 9ish, you'll have a good time. If you actively disliked Episode 4, you will actively dislike the movie. If you have never seen Episode 4, you'll probably be fairly confused for much of it.

Since my wife and I fall squarely into the first category, it was a great time. Enjoyed it a lot.

If you don't like Episode IV, you should probably base yourself

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #2374: December 29, 2016, 11:53:05 PM »

Both Comcast/Xfinity and Verizon Fios have the first 6 Star Wars films available for FREE On Demand on the TNT channel's On Demand movies through Friday Dec 30, 2016. On Comcast/Xfinity, you can fast-forward through the commercials!

I recommend seeing Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) and then going to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) in a theater.