Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 175303 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2425: January 20, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »
Michael Vick?

ha, may as well have been :evil:

Offline wj73

« Reply #2426: January 23, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
Saw La La Land this weekend and loved it.  I love the old musicals, and this one grabs you from the very first scene - it tells you up front exactly what kind of movie it will be and almost dares you to resist.  But as the move went on, it became more and more substantial - the characters become fully realized and complex, and you end up really caring about them.  I think it's the sort of movie people will either love or totally dismiss it as overdone and dumb.  There are several lovely scenes, one in particular at the Griffith Observatory.  We're heading to LA in July to see the Nats play the Angels (my mother-in-law's team so I'll have fun trashtalking with an 89 year old). After seeing the movie, we will definitely make a trip to Griffith.   

And I was planning on seeing A Dog's Purpose too, but that video has given me pause.  I too have embarrassed myself in public over animal stuff.  I was once reading Marley & Me on a cross-country flight.  I couldn't help laughing out loud a couple of times at some of the scenes, then at the end of course I was a complete mess of tears.  As we were deplaning, the woman who had been sitting next to me rather acerbically commented, "Well, you certainly seemed to be into that book."  I guess giggling and snuffling on a cross-country flight isn't proper.   

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2427: January 23, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »
Saw La La Land this weekend and loved it.

So funny, I was at a shower this weekend and two people had seen it, one absolutely loved it and the other thought it was just ok and the one who loved it just could not stand the other person didn't love it as much as her and was getting downright hostile with her about it, well that night on Saturday NIght Live they had a skit on where detectives are interrogating a guy who doesn't know what he's done wrong until they tell him it's because he told his date "La La Land was just alright" I can't do it justice but I thought it was so funny so I'll post it here if you want to see, anyway it does seem to be the type of movie people either LOVE or are just meh with that one. 

and anyone who doesn't understand the emotional roller coaster of Marley and Me is not worth worrying about, it took me about 2 weeks to finish the last chapter or so of that book because I would just sob so badly I could't read, I'd have to physically psyche myself up for it "ok. this is going to be so painful but you must get through it" and I'd last for like 3 sentences before I had to put it down again haha

Offline wj73

« Reply #2428: January 24, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
Saturday NIght Live they had a skit on where detectives are interrogating a guy who doesn't know what he's done wrong until they tell him it's because he told his date "La La Land was just alright" I can't do it justice but I thought it was so funny so I'll post it here if you want to see, anyway it does seem to be the type of movie people either LOVE or are just meh with that one. 

Heehee!  I'm not QUITE that bad, but someone who fell asleep during the Planetarium scene almost deserves to have his head slammed down on a desk.  :mg:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2429: January 24, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
Saw "The Founder"   ....   interesting tale.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2430: January 25, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
Yea I have no idea how they release this movie now, it's not PETA it's just to me anyone with a soul cannot go enjoy this movie after seeing that poor terrified pup clawing his way out of that pool just to be shoved back in :(

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/arts/a-dogs-purpose-abuse-video-scandal.html

Further explanation about that scene.  It's still on my list to see.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2431: January 25, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »

Given that I've had to put a dog down and my current 11 month old pup is named Bailey, there is no way in hell I plan to have any part of watching that movie. However, from reading Dennis Quaid's report on the situation as well as other folks involved, and given the timing of the video release, I suspect footage edited for shock value / blackmail attempt unpaid is the likeliest thing.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2432: January 25, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »

Wow, so Dennis Quaid (who wasn't present during the filming of that scene) says the dog was happy to be in that water and the evil person filming it manipulated it? did you watch the video?  You do not manipulate a dog trying to claw his way out of water and a handler pushing him back in, disgusting he would even suggest that.  Also the studio already put out a report that the dog wasn't into it that day so they stopped the scene, of course they failed to mention we all saw on the video the dog go under the water and someone yelling out to stop the scene at that time.  I get it, the film looks great and I'm super bummed I can't see it not but I cannot un-see that video, I've seen panic in dogs and that dog was panicked and it was only so humans could film a scene and make millions, I'll still pass and shame on Dennis Quaid for trying to say the dog was fine when he wasn't even flippin' there :evil:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2433: January 25, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
Wow, so Dennis Quaid (who wasn't present during the filming of that scene) says the dog was happy to be in that water and the evil person filming it manipulated it? did you watch the video? 

Nope didn't watch that video but my wife, daughter and myself are going to see the movie as soon as our schedule allows, we're going to enjoy every minute of it and leave no doubt with a tear in our eyes and joy in our hearts for Bailey (and our dog who will be 14 next month).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2434: February 02, 2017, 09:41:34 AM »
Groundhog Day is on AMC.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2435: February 02, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
Groundhog Day is on AMC.

Never saw it.    In keeping with the theme, I'll miss it again this year.     :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2436: February 02, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
Never saw it.    In keeping with the theme, I'll miss it again this year.     :)
You should watch it. Over and over.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2437: February 02, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »

It's not a bad movie if you like redemption stories.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2438: February 02, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
Groundhog Day is fantastic.  Groundhog Day is fantastic.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #2439: February 02, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
Groundhog Day is fantastic.  Groundhog Day is fantastic.
Groundhog Day is being shown on the big screen TONIGHT at 7:30 pm:

Angelika Film Center Mosaic
Mosaic District, 2911 District Ave, Fairfax, VA 22031
Phone: (571) 512-3301

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #2440: February 02, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Groundhog Day (1993) is about a Pittsburgh weatherman sent to Puxatawney, Pennsylvania with a film crew for the Puxatawney Phil Groundhog Day event. Directed by the late Harold Ramis and stars Bill Murray and Andie McDowell.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2441: February 02, 2017, 02:48:37 PM »
Watched Fracture a couple of nights ago - Anthony Hopkins, Ryan Gosling. Very good flick.

Also watched The Nice Guys the night before that. Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling again. Also very good.

Two entirely different types of movies though. First is a good crime/trial movie. Second is a good dark comedy.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #2442: February 04, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »
lol I think I just hated thinking it was going to be a continuation of last year's and it was some new thing with new characters, I mean did everyone know this was not going to have anything to do with The Force Awakens?? I guess I'm not that big a fun to want a whole new story going on before I know what happens to all the people I started to like in the last one. 
I've been reading some of the books. There is such a vast amount of material to draw from they could easily make new movie annually and keep ppl happy.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2443: February 04, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
I think that's the plan- movies that forward the plot every other year, movies that fill in stories in between

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2444: February 05, 2017, 12:01:56 PM »
It anyone cares, IMDB is shutting down their forums.

Offline wj73

« Reply #2445: February 05, 2017, 05:06:32 PM »
Saw Hidden Figures this weekend. Excellent re-creation of an era, right down to the fashions and cars and the jarring casualness of racism like "Colored Only" water fountains and bathrooms and inadequate schools. One of the women was brilliant even as a child but the local "colored" school only went up to the 8th grade so her family had to move so she could continue her education.

It also caught the awe of those early space flights. Of course I knew that John Glenn got back safely but the movie was so good I was still on the edge of my seat.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2446: February 05, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
Saw Hidden Figures this weekend. Excellent re-creation of an era, right down to the fashions and cars and the jarring casualness of racism like "Colored Only" water fountains and bathrooms and inadequate schools. One of the women was brilliant even as a child but the local "colored" school only went up to the 8th grade so her family had to move so she could continue her education.

It also caught the awe of those early space flights. Of course I knew that John Glenn got back safely but the movie was so good I was still on the edge of my seat.

that scene at the end with Glenn was historically accurate.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2447: February 07, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »
Saw Lion. Good flick. Made me feel good afterwards. If you want to feel bad after a movie watch The Boy in the Striped Pajamas on Netflix.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2448: March 16, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »
My son got a Hitchcock 5-pack for his birthday, so he and I have been on a serial film appreciation binge this week.

Monday - Vertigo
Tuesday - Psycho
Wednesday - The Birds

That leaves North by Northwest, and Rear Window.  I had only previously seen Rear Window before.  Enjoyed all of them so far but the ending of The Birds left me with the question unanswered.  Why did they attack like that? 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2449: March 16, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
My son got a Hitchcock 5-pack for his birthday, so he and I have been on a serial film appreciation binge this week.

Monday - Vertigo
Tuesday - Psycho
Wednesday - The Birds

That leaves North by Northwest, and Rear Window.  I had only previously seen Rear Window before.  Enjoyed all of them so far but the ending of The Birds left me with the question unanswered.  Why did they attack like that?

Because they're dinosaurs. And also shifty. Birds cannot be trusted.