22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 127343 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #1550: January 31, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »
Whatever it takes. Not a hitters park either.

Tony Gwinn did OK there...but I get your point...Royce would have to actually run to first...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1551: January 31, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »

We should clear the results and re-open the poll...

Phillies or San Diego...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1552: January 31, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
Tony Gwinn did OK there...but I get your point...Royce would have to actually run to first...
Bryce is NO Tony Gwynn.  I wonder if he could commute from Vegas.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1553: January 31, 2019, 12:15:40 PM »
I'll reiterate something I posted before. If Bryce doesn't return, I'd most like him to go to a team out West, preferably in the AL. It provides a good amount of distance between having to see him a bunch in the event he does well, and it has a happy media outcome as well. If he goes to Philly, it's literally one of the worst places any Nats fan could want to see him be in, unless he completely falls apart and sucks wind for 10 years.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1554: January 31, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »

Also reporting that the Nats have had more conversations, too.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1555: January 31, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
Also reporting that the Nats have had more conversations, too.

:smh:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1556: January 31, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »

G&D were listing off the Padres prospects and surmising that they are getting close. Adding a big bat free agent might be just the thing.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1557: January 31, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »

Tony Gwynn didn’t play in PetCo Park.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1558: January 31, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »
Worse ways to live than playing no pressure baseball in San Diego for $30 mill a year

If my choices were fading in San diedonor staring in Philadelphia, I’d say good bye to the lime light pretty fast

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #1559: January 31, 2019, 04:07:57 PM »
I'd predict that Bryce would really have a hard time hitting in San Diego as his home park. The one player I can think of that made it work as a slugger was Adrian Gonzalez. Now there are some similarities there in terms of patience, LHB etc. But at his 4-year peak from 2007-2010, Gonzalez hit 90 of his 137 HR on the road.

That's just not who Bryce is. Bryce's splits for his career are exactly even-steven (92 HR at home, 92 on road) how do any of us believe it's not going to get into his head if he can't hit dingers in front of the home fans? EVERYTHING gets in Bryce's head.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1560: January 31, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »
I think he only goes there if better offers don’t materialize elsewhere, but if you need a city to fall back on, it’s not a dad place

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #1561: January 31, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »
I think he only goes there if better offers don’t materialize elsewhere

Can't you say this about anywhere? :) We haven't seen a single sign that Bryce is taking anything other than the best financial offer.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1562: January 31, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
Can't you say this about anywhere? :) We haven't seen a single sign that Bryce is taking anything other than the best financial offer.

I think if dc philly (or la/Chicago/ny) where close, he’d take a smaller deal to avoid SD. If he goes there I think it means those other deals were never there

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #1563: January 31, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »
G&D were listing off the Padres prospects and surmising that they are getting close. Adding a big bat free agent might be just the thing.

They're not close.  People mistake having a couple good prospects for close because they forget how many players it takes to make an MLB team.  Last year's Padres were execrable.  They have zero reliable starting pitchers.  They have maybe 5 position players who belong on major league rosters.  Two of them play the same position (although they'll put Myers somewhere else), both of those two are wildly overpaid, and one of the others (Mejia) likely won't stick at the position he's supposed to play (catcher).   They had a dude who got over 300 PAs in the 3-5 spots...and who got DFAed, passed through waivers, and signed with the Giants.  The Yomiuri Giants.   

That's how bad that team was.   I saw them in person a few times.  At home, their fans were laughing at them.  I still can't figure out how that team didn't lose 100 games.   How is that team close? Is Fernando Tatis, Jr. going to play 2B, SS, 3B, and CF, and bat leadoff, third, fifth, and seventh?

Their prospect list is amazing, but most of them are pitchers, and most of them are 2 or 3 years away.   If you sign Harper for 10 years, cool, but you're going to be paying him ~$100 million before you're close to contending. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1564: January 31, 2019, 04:33:23 PM »
Jon Morosi
@jonmorosi
Bryce Harper has four active suitors as February nears, source confirms: #Nationals, #Phillies, #WhiteSox, and now #Padres. At least one other team remains involved on periphery, but overwhelming likelihood is he will sign with one of those four clubs. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1565: January 31, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Their prospect list is amazing, but most of them are pitchers, and most of them are 2 or 3 years away.   If you sign Harper for 10 years, cool, but you're going to be paying him ~$100 million before you're close to contending. 

Not sure how all the numbers (money) work out but could Harper be their higher valued Werth?

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #1566: January 31, 2019, 04:52:27 PM »
He's not going to sign with the Padres or White Sox.  And unless they just offer an obscene amount more money, there is no reason he would pick the Phillies over the Nats.  I'm telling you, the Nats have played this out so that they end up getting Bryce back but for less than people thought at the start of the offseason. 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1567: January 31, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
He's not going to sign with the Padres or White Sox.  And unless they just offer an obscene amount more money, there is no reason he would pick the Phillies over the Nats.  I'm telling you, the Nats have played this out so that they end up getting Bryce back but for less than people thought at the start of the offseason.

Getting Harper back and throwing Egg in the face of Boras would be the best possible outcome for me.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Getting Harper back and throwing Egg in the face of Boras would be the best possible outcome for me.

if we get him back, it will be fascinating to see what it looks like.  7/$35 a year with a player opt-out after 5 years?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
if we get him back, it will be fascinating to see what it looks like.  7/$35 a year with a player opt-out after 5 years?

10/300

I honestly don't think he will get another 10/300 from anyone except maybe the phillies... and that seems like a long shot.

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
So who do we think is really driving this charade, Royce or Boras?  If it’s Boras, And Im Harper I think I am considering other representation moving forward.

Offline Trea Burner

The farm system loaded Padres being used for leverage?! Gtfo!!

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
So who do we think is really driving this charade, Royce or Boras?  If it’s Boras, And Im Harper I think I am considering other representation moving forward.

Harper's ego, then Boras, and last other players.

If this was something Boras Clients were dealing with and not all players, id agree.

Nats certainly played this right by offering 10/300. First Bryce and Boras know they can come back to it. Second, the list of teams willing to offer 10 years can be counted on with 1 hand and still have fingers left. They likely don't have to move at all.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Boras...he's trying to save his reputation. 

The Nats offered $300MM/10 year deal and he rejected it...the Nats pulled it back, and now he can't best that.  He's overplayed his hand and is running around like a cat on a marble floor looking for a place to crap.

Offline Nick the Pig

Boras...he's trying to save his reputation. 

The Nats offered $300MM/10 year deal and he rejected it...the Nats pulled it back, and now he can't best that.  He's overplayed his hand and is running around like a cat on a marble floor looking for a place to crap.

That's the best summation I've seen so far !