Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 42943 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #75: February 10, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »
Did you read either of those links?  They explain it pretty clearly along with some examples.  This is a major no-no from a company that already has people worried about privacy, imo.

I disabled everything PA and imref posted.  Google is welcome to come up with all the cockamamie ideas they want to, but doing what they've done here with buzz violates a pretty basic trust that I'm betting will have a lot of gmail users looking for alternatives.  I'm personally not going to be one of them...  yet.  But you can bet I'll be keeping an eye on this.

yes, I did read them.

I suppose it is just a problem for people who want to post all their personally identifiable and sensitive information (CC# SSN, etc.)on the internet and not want anyone seeing it.

maybe I'm a weirdo, but I just don't do that, in fact I actively try to avoid putting stuff like that on the internet as much as possible. I've got nothing that I wish to hide online, anything I don't want people to know simply doesn't get put online.

so I don't understand how big of a deal it is.

I suppose it is a matter of perspective.

I do find it ironic that people are willing to give their whole life story to Facebook, but if Google knows your middle name its a horrible privacy issue.

also, it's fairly easy to turn off also, so I don't get the continued hand-wringing.  just turn the damn option  off.  if you don't want to use the service at all, then turn the whole service off, and stop crying about it.

people are such babies.

I think facebook is just an updated version of AOL from 15 years ago, without the dial-up access and the free CDs, but you don't see me crying about it to anyone who will listen. I just don't use the service. simple as that.