Author Topic: Rizzo Renewed by Marky Mark & the In-Laws  (Read 2778 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Rizzo Renewed by Marky Mark & the In-Laws
« Reply #125: April 15, 2024, 09:03:28 AM »
Ian MacDonald (@ian_mac5) has a thread looking at the Nats' top prospects from 2019. It's depressing.

https://x.com/ian_mac5/status/1779557863523774533

1. Robles - Never lived up to the hype
2. Kieboom - Ditto
3. Garcia Jr. - Getting there
4. Denaburg - Bust in Low-A
5. Will Crowe - Some time in the majors, now in Korea
6. Tim Cate - AAA - maybe an injury call up at best
7. Yasel Antuna - FA
8. Israel Pineda - Bust
9. Sterling Sharp - Independent league
10. Greg Canning - out of baseball

And it only gets worse except for the guy who was our #17 prospect that year: Jake Irvin and #19: Tanner Rainey

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #126: April 15, 2024, 09:28:54 AM »
Ian MacDonald (@ian_mac5) has a thread looking at the Nats' top prospects from 2019. It's depressing.

2. Kieboom - Ditto
7. Yasel Antuna - FA
8. Israel Pineda - Bust

And it only gets worse except for the guy who was our #17 prospect that year: Jake Irvin and #19: Tanner Rainey
This post should have a trigger warning. Terrible.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #127: April 15, 2024, 09:52:12 AM »

2. Kieboom - Ditto
7. Yasel Antuna - FA
8. Israel Pineda - Bust

Isn't that basically saying we won the world series (and made playoff 5 of 8 years), and ended up with an empty cupboard of prospects?   If so, I'm ok with that.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #128: April 15, 2024, 10:47:32 AM »
Isn't that basically saying we won the world series (and made playoff 5 of 8 years), and ended up with an empty cupboard of prospects?   If so, I'm ok with that.
More so that the prospects didn't work out. Post-2019 the team was supposed to replace Rendon with Kieboom, have Garcia take over 2B, and have Robles emerge into a top CF. If all that had happened, the team would look very different right now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #129: April 15, 2024, 11:18:27 AM »
More so that the prospects didn't work out. Post-2019 the team was supposed to replace Rendon with Kieboom, have Garcia take over 2B, and have Robles emerge into a top CF. If all that had happened, the team would look very different right now.
had that happened, no tank. Probably can't draft House, won't trade for Wood / Hassell / Abrams/ Gore / Susana. No Green. Vaquero is your best prospect, although Yoyo would be available if we had a 1st last year.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #130: April 15, 2024, 11:21:53 AM »
Yep

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #131: April 15, 2024, 11:36:59 AM »

Why have such low expectations?  One reason other teams don't throw away half their seasons, or retain a GM who can't draft and develop, is because DC fans will take whatever scraps you give them.  I get the whole Senators moving thing, but at some point Nats fans have to stop acting like abused children.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #132: April 15, 2024, 11:38:01 AM »
Curious as to the Nats farm ranking at that point in time. Cant find them on the MLB rankings then. They were not too 15.  But not bottom ten.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #133: April 15, 2024, 11:42:05 AM »
Why have such low expectations?  One reason other teams don't throw away half their seasons, or retain a GM who can't draft and develop, is because DC fans will take whatever scraps you give them.  I get the whole Senators moving thing, but at some point Nats fans have to stop acting like abused children.

:clap:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #134: April 15, 2024, 11:45:22 AM »
Children living in their parents basement.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #135: April 15, 2024, 12:38:08 PM »
In a vacuum, I'm fine with that.

But with benefit of hindsight, it isn't like there was a lot of low minors talent ready to break through. And the 2019 MLB draft for Nats may end up have Amos Willingham, Alu, or Rutledge as its best pickup. And unless you love Jake Irvin, the 2018 and 2017 drafts were also disasters.

I don't expect the Nationals at the end of a "win now" stretch over multiple years to have had a top 10 farm system. But it wasn't an issue of trading everything out. The talent acquisition starting around 2016 just became a disaster. There's a reason that after multiple fire sales the system was pretty average heading into 2022 and 2023. The drafting has gotten a bit better and the Soto trade is looking like best of a bad situation, but Rizzo owns the disrepair the Farm System fell into during the late 2010's.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #136: April 16, 2024, 11:29:26 AM »
In a vacuum, I'm fine with that.

But with benefit of hindsight, it isn't like there was a lot of low minors talent ready to break through. And the 2019 MLB draft for Nats may end up have Amos Willingham, Alu, or Rutledge as its best pickup. And unless you love Jake Irvin, the 2018 and 2017 drafts were also disasters.

I don't expect the Nationals at the end of a "win now" stretch over multiple years to have had a top 10 farm system. But it wasn't an issue of trading everything out. The talent acquisition starting around 2016 just became a disaster. There's a reason that after multiple fire sales the system was pretty average heading into 2022 and 2023. The drafting has gotten a bit better and the Soto trade is looking like best of a bad situation, but Rizzo owns the disrepair the Farm System fell into during the late 2010's.

Exactly.