Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 55625 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #1150: May 28, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
You have a bad cooling fan and something is over-heating? Graphics cards often have cooling fans, too.

If this is a desktop, take the side off the unit and look for dust inside of it. Vac it out gently. Vacuum out the power supply's cooling fan (from the outside).

Also, my old HP desktop, when started from off, used to run the fan really hard a few times, like it was "testing" it. Is that what you are hearing?

Also, the reason that sparked my question regarding the processor had to do with something that happened in my computer. I was gone for the weekend so I normally shut off my computer when I'm away. When I started up my computer today, I heard one of the fans in my computer making noises. I believe it was hitting some wires. It might have been the fan over the processor or some other fan. I don't know. Anyways, this is the second time that's happened and now this is the second time I'm experiencing this problem:

Whenever I play games after this incident, everything within the game is glitchy and shaky. It'll be worse for games that demand more like BF3. Normally, I can play BF3 without any problem on all high settings. But when this problem occurs, I can't even play the game. Everything freezes and skips as if I were lagging horribly. I was playing DOTA 2 today and the game runs smooth for the most part up until every one is grouped together and all of the spells occur. That's when the same problem starts happening. Does anyone have an explanation for this?