Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Robert Hassell III, OF  (Read 12400 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Back to the form that led many services to have him ranked as a top 50 prospect prior to the hamate injury. He was one of the best prep hitters in his draft class, he did nothing to hurt that perspective prior to his injury and he’s struggled to regain his footing in the aftermath of said injury. I expect a return to form honestly and I’m very happy to see him starting to catch fire.
I didn't think power was a big part of his game even when healthy. Good hit tool and all other tools were at least average led to the very high floor comments at the time of the trade and the Eaton comparisons.

Online DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
I didn't think power was a big part of his game even when healthy. Good hit tool and all other tools were at least average led to the very high floor comments at the time of the trade and the Eaton comparisons.

It isn't, but when you barrel up pitches as consistently as he has historically, you're going to put a charge in more than a few of them over the course of a season.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
It isn't, but when you barrel up pitches as consistently as he has historically, you're going to put a charge in more than a few of them over the course of a season.

if he's a LH Crews i think we'll be pretty happy. :)

Offline UMDNats

It's possible that injury took a lot longer to recover from than initially thought. if he can stay hot to end the year that's pretty huge

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Are we back on the Bobby Barrels train?

Online DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
Are we back on the Bobby Barrels train?

Aint never left tbh, although I think his ceiling is more of an above average regular than a star. Still a great outcome and a valuable asset to have in the organization, especially when you throw in the fact that he should be a solid defensive outfielder as well.

Offline imref

he's an 8th overall draft pick, hopefully he has a pretty high ceiling.

Online DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
he's an 8th overall draft pick, hopefully he has a pretty high ceiling.

Most sites had him in the 15-18 range in terms of rankings for that class, so he was a little bit of a surprise selection quite that high (MLB Pipeline had him ranked 16th iirc). Most spots had Veen as the top HS outfielder in that class and he went with the selection after Hassell. The question most people had about him was the offensive ceiling because teams weren’t sure how the power was going to come along.

An above average regular with the 8th pick is a win in most drafts though tbh and if the Eaton comp proves to be a good one, that’s probably what most people would’ve considered Eaton for the bulk of his prime. Hassell also had a Markakis comp dropped on him in a few places (including by the Vandy coach during the draft broadcast), and that would also be a very good outcome for him and the Nats imo.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Got hit on Friday night after being hit -- in the head -- Thursday. Altoona pitchers must have something against this kid. I think he went 1-for-5 last night.

Offline welch

Re: Follow the Prospects: Robert Hassell III, OF
« Reply #184: August 02, 2023, 05:14:41 PM »
Still hitting .223 / OPS .638. Struck out twice today, went 1-for-5. Suggests his broken hamate still bothers him.

Online DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #186: August 09, 2023, 08:08:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/hbgsenators/status/1689422251999789056?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

A true return to form for Hassell after a healthy offseason would be a terrific thing for this franchise.

Edit:

Cycle watch btw

https://twitter.com/talknats/status/1689431170151260161?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Offline welch

« Reply #187: August 09, 2023, 09:07:21 PM »
Hoping that Hassell hits better and better the rest of the season, and then gets off to a good start in Rochester next year.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #188: August 09, 2023, 09:13:59 PM »
Most sites had him in the 15-18 range in terms of rankings for that class, so he was a little bit of a surprise selection quite that high (MLB Pipeline had him ranked 16th iirc). Most spots had Veen as the top HS outfielder in that class and he went with the selection after Hassell. The question most people had about him was the offensive ceiling because teams weren’t sure how the power was going to come along.

An above average regular with the 8th pick is a win in most drafts though tbh and if the Eaton comp proves to be a good one, that’s probably what most people would’ve considered Eaton for the bulk of his prime. Hassell also had a Markakis comp dropped on him in a few places (including by the Vandy coach during the draft broadcast), and that would also be a very good outcome for him and the Nats imo.

MLB had him between 8 and 10

Offline imref

Online DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #190: August 10, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »
Hassell with an absolute tank to dead center. I’m thinking the power’s back to pre injury levels at this point.

https://twitter.com/hbgsenators/status/1689784346507374592?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Offline imref

« Reply #191: August 10, 2023, 10:17:13 PM »
Hassell with an absolute tank to dead center. I’m thinking the power’s back to pre injury levels at this point.

https://twitter.com/hbgsenators/status/1689784346507374592?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

we're starting to see why he was so highly rated. Unfortunately he's probably a trade piece at this point.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: August 11, 2023, 11:37:43 AM »
we're starting to see why he was so highly rated. Unfortunately he's probably a trade piece at this point.
wait for a Thomas extension or a Soto signing before he's being dealt. The only way he's a "trade piece" is if we are in playoff contention and he's blocked on the MLB roster or he's on the MLB roster and a guy behind him (Lile, Green, Vacquero) is ready.

Offline imref

« Reply #193: September 12, 2023, 10:54:41 PM »
6 for his last 9. Maybe he gets an AFL slot?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194: September 13, 2023, 08:11:50 AM »
6 for his last 9. Maybe he gets an AFL slot?
that's what RD was suggesting yesterday. Makes sense. Recall he got hurt in the AFL last year so he hasn't really done it yet. If he can get in a good stretch there, it would be a nice positive going into the off season.

The power really is not back yet, and he's not making enough contact over any significant period of time (if you cut at 9/1, it's 23%, but that's a little convenient). But you don't abandon talent prematurely.

Offline imref

« Reply #195: September 13, 2023, 09:55:46 PM »
Home run tonight. Finishing strong.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196: September 14, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »
wasn't his offensive rep based on his discipline and contact skills than his power? Power I thought was only eventually going to be near average.

Offline imref

« Reply #197: September 14, 2023, 09:49:49 AM »
wasn't his offensive rep based on his discipline and contact skills than his power? Power I thought was only eventually going to be near average.
50 power rating. Kind of seems to project as another Lane Thomas.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #198: September 14, 2023, 10:46:55 AM »
Eh, kind of.

He had great exit velos. Nicknamed Bobby Barrels. But it was a flat swing, so a lot of line drives were projected

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #199: September 14, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
So he and Wood are basically right where they should be. Both need to see and beat better pitching, something that AA has significantly more of than any of the lower levels. I'm still high on both of them.