Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 3  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Nationals vs Mets, Game 3
« Reply #125: August 27, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
 It looks like the catcher's left leg was right in front of the plate. How was that not blocking the plate?

I hope EJax is not hurt.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #126: August 27, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
Apparently that rule no longer applies...

Hah!  Muts will probably score the winning run tonight on a bs blocking the plate call against the Nats.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #127: August 27, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
That was a good send.

Mets made their first good defensive play of the season.

Not with a pitcher running. He showed that when he stumbled going around third.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #128: August 27, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »
Hah!  Muts will probably score the winning run tonight on a bs blocking the plate call against the Nats.

Different series...nobody will make the connection...  ;)

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #129: August 27, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
It looks like the catcher's left leg was right in front of the plate. How was that not blocking the plate?

I hope EJax is not hurt.

They kept saying maybe the throw took him in front of the plate. He was there long before the throw got there. That gets called about once every 3 years

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #130: August 27, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
That was a good send.

Mets made their first good defensive play of the season.

Agreed...they have shown us they can't throw...got lucky there...

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #131: August 27, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
Disappointing loss. Tough end, plus too many blown chances and bad ball/strike calls.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #132: August 27, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »
They kept saying maybe the throw took him in front of the plate. He was there long before the throw got there. That gets called about once every 3 years

Total BS. His left leg was clearly planted right in the base path way before the throw got there. These umps tonight were atrocious on so many levels. Baseball umps are the worst officials in sports. Makes games like today totally unenjoyable.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #133: August 27, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
Total BS. His left leg was clearly planted right in the base path way before the throw got there. These umps tonight were atrocious on so many levels. Baseball umps are the worst officials in sports. Makes games like today totally unenjoyable.
The last play is on MLB though. And it was close. The left leg was just slightly in front of home. Not like his whole body was there. Dumb to send your pitcher. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #134: August 27, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
The last play is on MLB though. And it was close. The left leg was just slightly in front of home. Not like his whole body was there. Dumb to send your pitcher. 

Yeah, I don't send a pitcher there just because of the chance of injury. And even though he is pinch runner there he still runs like a pitcher. That's why he stumbled going around third.

If I'm a runner coming in and the catcher is anywhere near the plate I would drill him and make the umpire call him in the base path. After all, why would he get drilled if he wasn't in the base path. :twisted:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #135: August 27, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »
Dumb to send your pitcher.

Especially in a meaningless game...  :whistle:

I was totally fine with sending him...too close not to...

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #136: August 27, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »
Yeah, I don't send a pitcher there just because of the chance of injury. And even though he is pinch runner there he still runs like a pitcher. That's why he stumbled going around third.

:twisted:
Is that the same as runs like a girl? Ejax has pinched run several times previously since being re-signed. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #137: August 27, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
Is that the same as runs like a girl? Ejax has pinched run several times previously since being re-signed.

Right...and he only looked awkward because Sendley was late in waving him home and E-Jax had to stutter step to hit the bag and keep going...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #138: August 27, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
I think the rule on blocking the plate is that you may cover some of it so long as the runner has a direct path to part of the plate.  Blocking the front while leaving the back half is permissible, I think.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #139: August 27, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
Especially in a meaningless game...  :whistle:

I was totally fine with sending him...too close not to...
I don;t like the risk in an exhibition game.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #140: August 27, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »
I think the rule on blocking the plate is that you may cover some of it so long as the runner has a direct path to part of the plate.  Blocking the front while leaving the back half is permissible, I think.

This is what I found--perfectly unclear and subject to interpretation.

(2) Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score.  If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe.

Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #141: August 27, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
I don;t like the risk in an exhibition game.

(Inset Herm Edwards here)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #142: August 27, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »
(Inset Herm Edwards here)
You play to not get hurt!