Author Topic: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?  (Read 4735 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?
« Reply #75: October 11, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
Oh, about doing damage to a mascot:

Did a Harvard coach once strangle a bulldog to motivate his team to beat Yale?
November 2, 2011 |  8:11 am    51

FOOTBALL URBAN LEGEND: The coach of Harvard once strangled a live bulldog to death to motivate his team to defeat the Yale Bulldogs.

Percy Haughton was, without a doubt, the most successful football coach in the history of Harvard Crimson football. . . .

The legend goes that Haughton actually strangled a live bulldog before the game in front of his players to motivate them to victory.  . . .

While I found nothing confirming the incident, I did come across a number of later accounts suggesting that Haughton had created a Bulldog doll (presumably out of Papier-mâché), and he had strangled THAT. In addition, that he had attached the doll to his car and drove around town dragging the doll. In an excellent historical study on the Harvard/Yale rivalry a few years back, John Powers of the Boston Globe mentioned the doll theory.

I find the doll theory to be such a clear choice that I feel confident stating it to be the truth.

So, if you fry any bird, make sure it is Big Bird.  Or, just simply flip a bird.