Author Topic: Worst Washington Baseball Team  (Read 1415 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Worst Washington Baseball Team
« Reply #25: August 09, 2022, 05:06:11 PM »
My point, though, is that Nats fans here have survived some of the worst teams ever. To be a Nats fan, whether they called themselves Nationals or Senators, is to be loyal through some of the worst seasons in baseball.

At the end of Super Bowl 22, Dave-from-Oxon-Hill said, "You know, I bet there are Washington kids who only know the Redskins as a power team, winning every season." By then, Washington kids had forgotten that we called the last few George Preston Marshall teams "the Deadskins".

To be a Nats fan is to be loyal, to cheer when wins are infrequent, which makes winning all the sweeter.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #26: August 09, 2022, 05:25:09 PM »
1963 was the season of Cheney and Osteen, leading the Nats to trade Osteen to the Dodgers for Howard, McMullen, Ortega, and Richert. "Off the floor in sixty-four!"
Yeah, George Selkirk was the GM of the Senators who pulled that big trade off in 1963. Selkirk, for trivia fans, was the player (career .290 hitter for the Yankees) who replaced Babe Ruth in RF, and also got to wear his #3 jersey (later, of course, the number was retired).

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #27: August 09, 2022, 10:31:19 PM »
Washington Generals stuff

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: August 11, 2022, 11:22:06 AM »
I thought we hit the low point after all the trades, but it's seems fairly predictable that we're going to get swept by San Diego this weekend, and that Soto and Bell are both going to light it up against our pitching. Probables are Abbott, Sanchez, and Espino against Clevinger, Darvish, and Snell.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: August 11, 2022, 11:45:42 AM »
Padres can't afford to drop a game against this sort of competition.  The Friars are in a competition with Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Philly for one of the 2 bottom wild card invites. One of the central teams gets the division, the Barves look like the first wild card.  One of SD/Central runner-up/Phillies doesn't make the playoffs.  It's possible the Giants or another team makes a run, or the Barves fade, but unlikely. 

Records of the 2nd / 3rd WC vs. Nats

Mil - 3-3
PHI - 2-10
SD - 0-0
StL - 1-2

So far, Phillies have picked up 8 games, and have another 7 games with the Nats.  For the non-division team, SD has a chance to make up 3 games on Milwaukee if the Padres sweep us. 

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #30: August 11, 2022, 12:12:12 PM »
Scientists are growing concerned with reports of a new syndrome variant - WTN 22 ('Watching The Nationals 2022') - having been observed. Citizens are advised to be on the look-out for anyone displaying the following symptoms:

Those afflicted have a blank, zombie-like expression, brought on by watching countless hours of nothing happening on offence. They can display radical mood-swings, bursting into fits of almost uncontrollable hysterical laughter, brought on by watching countless hours of Nationals baserunning and fielding - then lurching into wild rage, shouting words like 'Corbin' and 'Strasburg', lapsing into animalistic delusions where they believe these players to be 'an albatross', whose presence foretells misfortune for the Nationals. Many find their symptions so hard to bear that they detach from the everyday now, choosing to live in the past (particularly 2019). They can be found comforting themselves by looking wistfully at videos of Scherzer, Turner, Rendon and Harper as Nationals (it is reported that they find doing likewise with Soto just too much to take...). They are uncomfortable in crowded, social situations, and confined spaces, choosing the empty expanses of Nationals Park instead.

The long-term effects of WTN22 are unclear, at this time - however, experience of earlier variants suggests that symptoms are long-lasting and transmissable. Some have succumbed to 'Long Washington', where the onset of symptoms can be traced as far back as the Senators.

If you recognize these symptoms, don't suffer in silence - with suitable care, rest and treatment a positive outcome can be yours. Alternatively, those afflicted by WTN22 are believed to have established a 'self-help' group, where they can discuss their symptoms with other like minded afflicted individuals, in a non-prejudicial environment. Just search online for 'WNFF' or 'Washington Nationals Fans Self-Help Group'. It always helps to know that you're not alone, and there are others who understand....

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #31: August 11, 2022, 01:49:05 PM »
Padres can't afford to drop a game against this sort of competition.  The Friars are in a competition with Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Philly for one of the 2 bottom wild card invites. One of the central teams gets the division, the Barves look like the first wild card.  One of SD/Central runner-up/Phillies doesn't make the playoffs.  It's possible the Giants or another team makes a run, or the Barves fade, but unlikely. 

Records of the 2nd / 3rd WC vs. Nats

Mil - 3-3
PHI - 2-10
SD - 0-0
StL - 1-2

So far, Phillies have picked up 8 games, and have another 7 games with the Nats.  For the non-division team, SD has a chance to make up 3 games on Milwaukee if the Padres sweep us.

The Barves are no longer a lock for the first wild card methinks although they beat up on your SAWX the past two nights. They are only up two in the loss column on the Phillies. So really not much ahead of any of the others you mentioned. I think the Brewers will be the odd team out. But hoping it’s the Cards. One 90 win team will not make it. 

It’s early but the Phillies seem to have that 2019 Nats vibe.  Schwarber seems to have become the team’s emotional leader.  And now they have been further unified by a freak Keith Hernandez movement.  Last night they were down 2-0 to Alcantara who needed few pitches to  make it to the 8th still ahead. They strung together a bunch of singles and even a baserunning blunder from Marsh could not stop them.  Scherzer and Degrom up this weekend in NY. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: August 11, 2022, 01:50:49 PM »
I think I had WTN 20 and 21 but thought I was immune. But WTN 22 seems worse.  I wake up in a cold sweat thinking we had traded both Turner and Soto. How’s that for a nightmare.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: August 11, 2022, 02:26:24 PM »
The Barves are no longer a lock for the first wild card methinks although they beat up on your SAWX the past two nights. They are only up two in the loss column on the Phillies. So really not much ahead of any of the others you mentioned. I think the Brewers will be the odd team out. But hoping it’s the Cards. One 90 win team will not make it. 

It’s early but the Phillies seem to have that 2019 Nats vibe.  Schwarber seems to have become the team’s emotional leader.  And now they have been further unified by a freak Keith Hernandez movement.  Last night they were down 2-0 to Alcantara who needed few pitches to  make it to the 8th still ahead. They strung together a bunch of singles and even a baserunning blunder from Marsh could not stop them.  Scherzer and Degrom up this weekend in NY. 
I get it, but the 4 teams I pick on are closer to the cut line.  The Barves may not be a lock for 1st WC, but they have further to fall to drop out of the WC. They are 20 over .500, the Brewers are 10.  They are 3 up on Philly (2 in the loss column) while the other 4 teams are within 2 games of each other.

I do think the Phillies make it, in part because they have so many games against the Nats left.  I just think SD has a real opportunity to pad their wins if they go 4-2 or better vs. the Nats.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #34: August 14, 2022, 08:03:51 PM »
I'm still trying to get comfortable with the fact that at least one of the Cardinals or the Prellers will make the playoffs. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #35: August 14, 2022, 09:00:20 PM »
Re 2009 Nats, didn't someone (Willingham?) Hit back-to-back grand slams? 

Online imref

« Reply #36: August 14, 2022, 09:11:02 PM »

Willingham hit two in a game.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #37: August 14, 2022, 09:15:22 PM »
Not a lot else stands out. Maybe Elijah Dukes and the softball girl foofaraw.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #38: August 15, 2022, 10:54:14 AM »
s
Yes, it was Willingham.  I don't recall if they were back-to-back but I think so.   I vaguely recall that was the highlight of his career and it was downhill after that. 

Online imref

« Reply #39: August 15, 2022, 10:56:58 AM »
s
Yes, it was Willingham.  I don't recall if they were back-to-back but I think so.   I vaguely recall that was the highlight of his career and it was downhill after that. 

Hit one in the 5th and one in the 6th.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200907270.shtml

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #40: August 15, 2022, 03:05:52 PM »
s

Willingham was still good for a few years.  He won a Silver Slugger with Minnesota, and that's not easy to do as a LF.

Online imref

« Reply #41: August 15, 2022, 03:24:14 PM »
Today's lineup, one of these is not like the other:
1. Cesar Hernandez - .243
2. Joey Meneses - .400
3. Luke Voit - .228
4. Yadiel Hernandez - .268
5. Nelson Cruz - .236
6. Keibert Ruiz - .245
7. C.J. Abrams - .232
8. Lane Thomas - .231
9. Ildemaro Vargas - .259

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: August 15, 2022, 03:30:01 PM »
Today's lineup, one of these is not like the other:
1. Cesar Hernandez - .243
2. Joey Meneses - .400
3. Luke Voit - .228
4. Yadiel Hernandez - .268
5. Nelson Cruz - .236
6. Keibert Ruiz - .245
7. C.J. Abrams - .232
8. Lane Thomas - .231
9. Ildemaro Vargas - .259
So Meneses is actually the next Ted Williams!!!

Online imref

« Reply #43: August 15, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »
So Meneses is actually the next Ted Williams!!!

or the next Juan Soto? :)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: August 15, 2022, 03:45:15 PM »
or the next Juan Soto? :)
Is he represented by Boras?

Online imref

« Reply #45: August 15, 2022, 03:49:32 PM »
Is he represented by Boras?

We'll trade Meneses next year rather than sign him to an extension in 2030.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #46: August 19, 2022, 11:37:17 AM »
After last nights game the team is 40-80 with 42 games left for the season. At that current pace we are going to be 54-108 and obviously our worse season ever. Even if we split the remaining games we will end up 61-101 and still have a 100+ loss season . The writing was on the wall after last seasons trade deadline that this was going to be a re-build and not a re-boot. If the Lerners did not dictate to Rizzo with financial limitations and he decided on his own to go with both Sanchezs, Rogers, Adon et al then this season is on him solely. No one should have been able to count on Stras and Ross to return and contribute and expect a dead cat  bounce from Corbin. The tragedy is that next years attendence will suffer and impact the new ownership groups ability to turn this atound by 2025.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #47: August 20, 2022, 09:53:44 AM »
After last nights game the team is 40-80 with 42 games left for the season. At that current pace we are going to be 54-108 and obviously our worse season ever. Even if we split the remaining games we will end up 61-101 and still have a 100+ loss season . The writing was on the wall after last seasons trade deadline that this was going to be a re-build and not a re-boot. If the Lerners did not dictate to Rizzo with financial limitations and he decided on his own to go with both Sanchezs, Rogers, Adon et al then this season is on him solely. No one should have been able to count on Stras and Ross to return and contribute and expect a dead cat  bounce from Corbin. The tragedy is that next years attendence will suffer and impact the new ownership groups ability to turn this atound by 2025.
We don't know who the owner will be.  A very aggressive and very rich owner, who is not a bottom line man like the Lerners, could turn this around next year.