Author Topic: Ben Goessling leaving MASN to go home.  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Ben Goessling leaving MASN to go home.
« Reply #50: December 01, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »
You mean the purple rain man?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #51: December 01, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »
I will miss Ben's writing but hard to budrudge anyone who is headed home.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: December 01, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
I've already told them I'll do college hockey any time they need it. I l-o-v-e college hockey -- covered the Gophers when I was in college there, and just had a blast doing it. Hockey people in general are great to deal with, but college hockey is even better because it's such a close-knit community.
Gophers were good back then (that' safe to say because they always are good).  Meanwhile, I went to the Eastern Regionals and saw the wrong Bulldogs win last year.  I got the Frozen Four pennant that's up at CCSP for them because there's no way I'd keep it celebrating Duluth.  I'm hoping the Elis make it to Tampa this year, but it is definitely a rebuilding year. 

Chime in on the "college hockey 2011-12" thread in the Red Loft some time.  We have a bit of an ECAC bias, but DPMOmaha represent for UNO.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #53: December 01, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
Holidazzle is pretty weird. Let's wait until winter and have an outdoor parade. At night. Oh, put lights on everything :rofl:

Not a big fan of it myself. My wife wants to go every time we're in town for the holidays. It's going to be harder to resist it now, though. This time next year, I'll be freezing my butt off on Nicollet Mall with a seven-month-old.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #54: December 01, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »
Gophers were good back then (that' safe to say because they always are good).  Meanwhile, I went to the Eastern Regionals and saw the wrong Bulldogs win last year.  I got the Frozen Four pennant that's up at CCSP for them because there's no way I'd keep it celebrating Duluth.  I'm hoping the Elis make it to Tampa this year, but it is definitely a rebuilding year. 

Chime in on the "college hockey 2011-12" thread in the Red Loft some time.  We have a bit of an ECAC bias, but DPMOmaha represent for UNO.

The year I covered them was actually the last time they went to the Frozen Four. Then they started recruiting all of the hotshots like Kessel, Erik Johnson, Blake Wheeler, Kyle Okposo, etc., and haven't been back since. They've been down for the last couple years, but they've kind of gone back to a scrappier group of players, and they've got a really good senior goalie. Plus, there's a NCAA Regional in Minneapolis this year, and every time they've gone to a Frozen Four under Lucia, they've either gotten to play the Frozen Four in St. Paul or play a regional on campus.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #55: December 01, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »
Not a big fan of it myself. My wife wants to go every time we're in town for the holidays. It's going to be harder to resist it now, though. This time next year, I'll be freezing my butt off on Nicollet Mall with a seven-month-old.

the last time i was there they had heated tents with hot cocoa for something like $5 a person, it was a perfect way to watch the parade (well, not as perfect as from some of the bar windows along the route, but those are tough to get).

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #56: December 01, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »

my other favorite thing to do in Minneapolis is eat at Murray's Steak House.  Walter Mondale was there the last time I visited.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for being part of the forum.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #57: December 02, 2011, 07:26:12 AM »
How is the Saint Paul Winter Carnival? I have wanted to go for years because my Mom spoke of it so fondly but the end of Janurary is not the best travel time.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #58: December 02, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
Murray's is the best meal I've ever had. My mother-in-law's boss took my wife, my mother-in-law, my brother-in-law and me out there a few years ago, and footed the whole bill. The sides are tremendous, and we got a fancy Bananas Foster thing for dessert. But the Silver Butter Knife steak -- oh man. It runs like $100, and I'm not so sure I would have second thoughts about footing the bill for it myself. Hands down, the best steak I've ever tasted.

I haven't spent a ton of time at the Winter Carnival in the past, though the crazy St. Paul Vulcans have been at a number of Wild games I've covered. They're pretty annoying, but the Pioneer Press does sponsor a medallion hunt during the Winter Carnival that's got a huge following. And if it's a rare year where they build an Ice Castle (the last two were during the Super Bowl in 1992 and the NHL All-Star Game in 2004), that's a must-see.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #59: December 02, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
So, hopefully, you will continue to be a Nats fan!  There's no NL baseball in Minnesota!

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #60: December 03, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
I actually enjoyed what he had to say on things, sucks.