Author Topic: Kyle Schwarber: we miss you, please come home  (Read 780 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Kyle Schwarber: we miss you, please come home
« Reply #25: October 19, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/kyle-schwarber-has-fit-nicely-boston-so-he-sticking-around%3famp

I don’t see anything here about a qualifying offer.  I thought a qualifying offer implies you get a draft pick if someone else signs the guy. That does not apply here.
Boston can't make a QO.  If you trade for a guy, you can't at the end of the trade season.  That's not the situation we were in had we not traded. 

I don't know if he would have accepted the QO here. I sort of think the Nats didn't want him too, TBH, or at least wanted a prospect more than a year of Schwarber at $19MM.  Hard call for him if offered because, to turn it down, he would have had to expect an offer that was much, much bigger than what he got from the Nats last year. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: October 19, 2021, 06:48:00 PM »
Boston can't make a QO.  If you trade for a guy, you can't at the end of the trade season.  That's not the situation we were in had we not traded. 

I don't know if he would have accepted the QO here. I sort of think the Nats didn't want him too, TBH, or at least wanted a prospect more than a year of Schwarber at $19MM.  Hard call for him if offered because, to turn it down, he would have had to expect an offer that was much, much bigger than what he got from the Nats last year.
I'm still confused.  Seems to be a mutual option for next year.  I don't see how this fits as a QO where the Nats would get a draft pick of someone else took him as a free agent. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: November 07, 2021, 05:40:58 PM »
https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2021/11/07/j-d-martinez-opts-in-2022-red-sox-contract/

JD Martinez's decision to not opt out on his Boston contract starts to squeeze the Red Sox out of potential landing spots for Schwarber.  JD pencils in at DH, though he can play a bit of outfield still.  Boston's on-paper best defense has Verdugo - Henrnadez - Renfroe in the OF.   Dalbec at 1st might be the guy who loses playing time, but they also have their second best prospect, Triston Casas, slated to play there as soon as mid-year next year.  Hernandez I suppose could play 2nd, but that might be a spot that Boston pursues an ugrade like Semien.  Lots of moving parts, but the easiest places to play Schwarber, DH/LF/1B, looks cluttered, making it less likely he's a Boston priority.