Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)  (Read 49412 times)

Offline Dave B

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)
« Reply #225: April 02, 2016, 07:00:48 PM »
Re: garlic.  The sizes of the cloves vary greatly so how can a recipe specify a number.  Ali's method gets around this.  I pretty much just estimate how much garlic should a serving have then multiply

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #226: April 10, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
This recipe looks really interesting

http://www.littlethings.com/bbq-bacon-meatball-recipe/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #227: April 10, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »
Just hit Pepe's again for a small mozz, mushroom and pepperoni.  Addictive stuff.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #228: April 10, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
So - not specifying "mozz" gets you what, a red piece of toast?
Just hit Pepe's again for a small mozz, mushroom and pepperoni.  Addictive stuff.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #229: April 10, 2016, 03:50:55 PM »

Reports from Houston indicate the carnitas may be a bad trip...consider yourselves warned...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230: April 10, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »
So - not specifying "mozz" gets you what, a red piece of toast?
Well, in the original Pepe's you had to ask for mozzarella.  Otherwise, tomato-sauce pizzas (tomato pies) were red with grated cheese sprinkled I think after it was cooked.  I had a mushroom, peppers (red and green, sweet), and onion that was red a couple of weeks ago on my first visit.  The clam is white (no tomato sauce).  In the new expansion restaurants, they assume mozzarella unless you order it "red" or say "no mozz."   Sort of like the dining equivalent of Roberto Duran.

By the way, figures they open and I finally get to the new Pepes just when Dad is giving up his apartment next door to it to move in with my brother in New Hampshire

• babble on
« Reply #231: April 10, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »
Sorry about the pizza loss but props to your brother & hope the old guy can adapt. 
By the way, figures they open and I finally get to the new Pepes just when Dad is giving up his apartment next door to it to move in with my brother in New Hampshire

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #232: April 10, 2016, 11:40:18 PM »
Well, in the original Pepe's you had to ask for mozzarella.  Otherwise, tomato-sauce pizzas (tomato pies) were red with grated cheese sprinkled I think after it was cooked.  I had a mushroom, peppers (red and green, sweet), and onion that was red a couple of weeks ago on my first visit.  The clam is white (no tomato sauce).  In the new expansion restaurants, they assume mozzarella unless you order it "red" or say "no mozz."   Sort of like the dining equivalent of Roberto Duran.

and you're pronouncing that "mootz" like a good New Havener, right?  :mg:

Glad to hear your dad will be with your bro, I'm sure that's going to be a huge relief to not have to worry about him alone anymore :thumbs:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #233: April 11, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
Took the wife to Ford's Fish Shack in Ashburn this weekend. Pretty good seafood experience.  Was disappointed they did not have hush puppies though. The corn muffins with maple butter were tasty, but I haven't had good hush puppies in over 16 years.  Anyone know a good restaurant in the metro area that isn't going to utterly destroy my wallet that would have hush puppies?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #234: April 11, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »
Reports from Houston indicate the carnitas may be a bad trip...consider yourselves warned...
The good news is, it wasn't me food-poisoning myself! It's a legitimate bug of some kind. Still at home. Thank goodness I don't have to throw away all that food...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #235: April 11, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
Took the wife to Ford's Fish Shack in Ashburn this weekend. Pretty good seafood experience.  Was disappointed they did not have hush puppies though. The corn muffins with maple butter were tasty, but I haven't had good hush puppies in over 16 years.  Anyone know a good restaurant in the metro area that isn't going to utterly destroy my wallet that would have hush puppies?

Fat Pete's BBQ in Woodley Park has pretty good hush puppies.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #236: April 11, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
Fat Pete's BBQ in Woodley Park has pretty good hush puppies.

You added the word 'BBQ...' You have made me a happy man! That's worth one of my rare trips to DC - after living there for 16 years, I really, really, -really- don't like going back.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #237: April 11, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Long john silvers.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #238: April 11, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
Long john silvers.

I know they have hush puppies, but I always kind of shied away from them for the same reason I ignore Popeyes hush puppies. I assume they're frozen balls dropped into a fryer.  The difference between stuff that ain't been frozen and stuff that has is pretty huge for many foods.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #239: April 11, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »
You added the word 'BBQ...' You have made me a happy man! That's worth one of my rare trips to DC - after living there for 16 years, I really, really, -really- don't like going back.

Fat Pete's BBQ is pretty darn good but the best in the city is DCity Smokehouse https://dcitysmokehouse.com/
Fat Pete's brisket is really awesome. The burnt ends starter.... nom. nom. nom. 
I just looked at their menu and apparently those hush puppies are supposed to be goat cheese poblano. I don't remember ever tasting the goat cheese though-- not surprising, considering how corn meal will squish every other flavor. To me they taste like regular ol hush puppies.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #240: April 11, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
The good news is, it wasn't me food-poisoning myself! It's a legitimate bug of some kind. Still at home. Thank goodness I don't have to throw away all that food...

Ok I'm sad to say the only place I've ever had carnitas is Chilis and I absolutely loved them.  Don't judge me. Anyway care to share your recipe Houston?  I've looked online but the ones from Chili's had like a lime flavor and none of the recipes I've seen call for lime, they all seem to call for oranges :?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #241: April 11, 2016, 02:54:45 PM »
Ok I'm sad to say the only place I've ever had carnitas is Chilis and I absolutely loved them.  Don't judge me. Anyway care to share your recipe Houston?  I've looked online but the ones from Chili's had like a lime flavor and none of the recipes I've seen call for lime, they all seem to call for oranges :?

Someone shared a recipe on here for shredded pork that might be exactly what you're wanting. Would've been a while ago - at least a year I think. If the person who posted it reposts it, that would be exactly what you're looking to try I think. Great lime in it. I might be able to dig it up as well if I can figure out how to review my post history...

**edit: figured it out. It was a post for Barbacoa by Ali from early 2014. It may not be quite the pork experience you're looking for, but it's -really- tasty. Reposting AtbC's post below:

crock pot shredded beef (barbacoa)
Total Time:6 hr 30 min
Serves 8
Ingredients

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 yellow onion
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    5 garlic cloves
    4 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cloves
    3-4 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce (I used ¾ of a small can)
    3/4 cup beef stock
    3.5 lbs. beef chuck roast

Instructions

In a blender, combine vinegar, onion, lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt, cloves, allspice and chilis with adobo sauce and blend until smooth.
    Trim any excess fat off the roast and place it in a slow cooker.
    Pour the broth over the meat, then pour the pureed sauce.
    Cook on high heat for 6 hours. If you want to cook it longer, do it on low for 8 hours.
    Shred the meat in the juices and serve hot.

Notes

If freezing, make sure you retain all the juices. I put my leftovers in large gallon ziploc bags.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #242: April 11, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »

Red hot and blue has them.  Get 'em with the Tennessee Triple.    :o

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #243: April 11, 2016, 11:50:43 PM »
Someone shared a recipe on here for shredded pork that might be exactly what you're wanting.

Hmmm that recipe does sound delicious but that's actually using a beef roast and the ones I had were definitely pork carnitas, I wonder if I could use that on a pork roast instead?  I might give that a shot this weekend.  Thanks, dracnal!

Offline dracnal

« Reply #244: April 12, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
@tom - Conveniently, there's an RH&B across the street from me in Leesburg. Tried it once and the verdict was 'Well, they give big portions...' but I'm willing to give it another shot if it means hush puppies :D

@skippy - a pork shoulder would probably work great in that recipe.

• babble on
« Reply #245: April 12, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »
That barbacoa recipe works well with pork, just add more garlic  :P

I do like RH&B potato salad.  Or perhaps at Lee Atwater's joint that's "potatoe salad"? 

Decent baked beans too. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #246: April 12, 2016, 11:39:39 AM »
don't trust my recommendation because I'm a displaced Yankee with no connection to hush puppy culture but King Street Blues in Old Town and Crystal City have hush puppies.  They have a combo "Cats and Dogs" that has fried catfish and hush puppies with red beans and rice.  I like it, but then I don't think I know as much about this type of food as natives of any state that lost at Gettysburg.

• babble on
« Reply #247: April 12, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »
Aren't hush puppies basically Spanish croquetas? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #248: April 12, 2016, 11:42:40 AM »
Sad to say, but I think the original RH&B is out of the Rosslyn location.  I went there within a year or two of its opening when it was the only one.  What a mob scene but it was just awesome to my taste.  I became addicted to the dry rub ribs.  It took me years to break that addiction.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #249: April 12, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
Aren't hush puppies basically Spanish croquetas? 

absent the fillings