Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Retires  (Read 10966 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Stephen Strasburg Retires
« Reply #150: September 09, 2023, 10:53:14 PM »
Are nats trainers even remotely qualified for that
No, its why Stras is getting outside help

Online blue911

« Reply #151: September 10, 2023, 06:03:49 AM »

The great thing about this question is that it can apply to any situation.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #152: September 10, 2023, 08:15:45 AM »
I will say it again. If the doctors thought he was not ready for baseball activities in February 23 why would he be ready February 24?  Lerners are bluffing.  He’s not near being able to resume baseball activities nor will he ever be.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #153: September 10, 2023, 09:56:02 AM »
I will say it again. If the doctors thought he was not ready for baseball activities in February 23 why would he be ready February 24?  Lerners are bluffing.  He’s not near being able to resume baseball activities nor will he ever be.

It’s worse than bluffing. It’s intentionally cruel.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #154: September 10, 2023, 10:15:58 AM »

You are assuming that his re-hab consists solely of baseball activities while my interpretation is range of motion and strengthening before he can resume baseball activities. Having done that myself numerous times I can say without hesitation that it is mind numbing boring and tedious.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #155: September 10, 2023, 10:19:47 AM »
Again, he isnt doing baseball-related rehabilitation and hasnt for some time. Thats why we're here.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #156: September 10, 2023, 10:27:25 AM »
Barry Svrluga calling for the Lerner's to sell especially after the Stras drama:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/09/lerner-family-stephen-strasburg-nationals-sale/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #157: September 10, 2023, 10:38:36 AM »

The great thing about this question is that it can apply to any situation.
:thumbs:

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #158: September 10, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »
Barry Svrluga calling for the Lerner's to sell especially after the Stras drama:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/09/lerner-family-stephen-strasburg-nationals-sale/

Svrluga is a pretty calm and level-headed guy. You can sense the disgust in this column. They motivated him to run to the keyboard to bang this out and slam the send button.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #159: September 10, 2023, 11:23:14 AM »
You are assuming that his re-hab consists solely of baseball activities while my interpretation is range of motion and strengthening before he can resume baseball activities. Having done that myself numerous times I can say without hesitation that it is mind numbing boring and tedious.
The doctors have already concluded he will not return to baseball. That ship sailed this year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #160: September 10, 2023, 11:27:07 AM »
Svrluga is a pretty calm and level-headed guy. You can sense the disgust in this column. They motivated him to run to the keyboard to bang this out and slam the send button.

Yup.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #161: September 10, 2023, 06:06:12 PM »
By deferring the money, it becomes the new owners' debt, not the Lerners

True, but I assume that any new prospective owner would see through that and adjust their offer accordingly.  The Lerner ownership was great for a long time, but it has taken a dramatic downturn in the last few years.  Time to sell for whatever they can get.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #162: September 10, 2023, 10:08:33 PM »
Perhaps I'm confusing things with Strasburg's first extension with the Nats, but was it Rizzo or Ted Lerner who was most responsible for his re-signing after the World Series season?  I recall that Boras had Lerner on speed-dial, but don't remember the details of how the final deal got hammered out.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163: September 11, 2023, 08:37:17 AM »
ted

Offline Slateman

« Reply #164: September 11, 2023, 08:53:24 AM »
Yea, IIRC, there were some in the Nationals front office that were hesitant to give him so many years

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165: September 11, 2023, 08:57:33 AM »
Yea, IIRC, there were some in the Nationals front office that were hesitant to give him so many years
Svrluga (again) has been pumping out that line from Rizzo. I forget if he directly attributes it to him or it's reported as "member of the front office" kind of BS, but they always have said they though he'd sign a Kershaw-type deal of 3 years high AAV perpetually.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #166: September 11, 2023, 10:10:23 AM »

“Nats gonna Nat.”

Man if that doesn't say it all.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #167: September 11, 2023, 01:38:15 PM »
“Nats gonna Nat.”

Man if that doesn't say it all.

It's the perfect quote.   Ted would also have never let this many leaks get out, or let the dysfunction be so visible.  Mini Me seems stressed and overmatched by his new role.  I know he wants to squeeze every last penny out of any sale, but getting $2 billion for a $600 million investment would allow him to stress out about something else.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #168: September 13, 2023, 11:43:14 AM »
Rizzo on Strasburg:

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #169: September 13, 2023, 11:58:27 AM »
So what we've learned is that Marky Mark and the in-law bunch (stealing that from JCA) need to sell the team because their de facto figure head, Marky Mark, is better suited to keep his mouth closed.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #170: September 13, 2023, 05:21:36 PM »
I'm so happy to see a return of the Nats PR traditions now that all is settled with Rizzo.  That tradition - Lerners say/do something dumb, send Kasten/Rizzo to mop up in the media - looks as strong as ever.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171: September 23, 2023, 05:19:53 PM »
If the Nats won’t say it, I will: Thanks for everything, Stephen Strasburg

Boz's Stras tribute.  First, he does some of the stats:

But Stras will always be the symbol, and the central core, of the Nats’ run from 2012 through their 2019 World Series title.

In the Nats’ four NL East-winning seasons, plus their wild card year in 2019, Strasburg went 83-33, including 6-2 in the postseason. No other Nat was a star on all five playoff teams.

His career culminated in one long mature crescendo. From his June return from the disabled list in 2015 through the 2019 World Series, the Nats were an incredible 92-35 in his starts. That .724 percentage approaches the Dodgers’ mark (.742) when Sandy Koufax started in his final five years.

Calls out the Lerners for their jerky way of handling announcing his retirement and for not giving the fans a chance to show appreciation this past month. I'll add, Doo got a great send off last night, but can you imagine what the reaction would have been for Stras?

He then switches into a perspective framing his accomplishments.

For many years I have been mildly, but persistently, annoyed by the inability of many to get a reasonable perspective on Strasburg. His pitching should be viewed aesthetically and emotionally as well as statistically.
But those inside the game see it differently. For them, the game is a dream born in childhood; a bare-knuckled daily struggle as an adult; a living theater of piercing break-your-heart career arcs; a shot at a pot of gold. But always, it’s a story bristling with romance; you might end up a character in a beloved 150-year national narrative.

By that standard, Strasburg fulfilled his athletic destiny.

He relates a story from Jayson Werth on just how scary it was to face Stras when they were both on a rehab assignment.

He dips into more stats, on his all time place in MLB on winning percentage (25th since 1900), WHIP (top 15), opponents batting average (20th since 1920, or since the deadball era), and of course K/9 (7th). His career went downhill at 31. For comparison, Koufax retired at 30 after his peak win year.

At this point, he slips into literature for a comparison.

John Keats, one candidate for greatest poet in the English language, died when he was 25. Now, 202 years later, no one begins evaluating him by saying if only he hadn’t had tuberculosis, he would have written more poems.

Art, in all its forms, exists in a galaxy far away, which we visit with gratitude, not with quantification.

Bolded the money quote.

Boz analogizes to Jimi Hendrix and Amy Winehouse, while tossing a reference to Stras being 4th in post season ERA for pitchers who threw more than 50 innings. talks about the chills he gets from listening to them, then talks about the chill he gets when he watches one of Stras's greatest performances:

Let’s see, how about Sept. 10, 2017? I think I’ll just ask the DVR for that one. “Strasburg allows two hits, one walk and fans 10 in eight innings to run his consecutive streak of scoreless innings to 34⅓ as the Nats clinch their fourth NL East title in six years.” Game Score: 87. The best such number of his career. His 14-strikeout debut was just 75. Hey, he gave up two runs!

Here we go. First batter sees 96 mph paint at the letters three times, then freezes on a third-strike curveball that drops a foot-and-a-half to the knees at 82 mph. Strasburg finishes the frame with a three-pitch strikeout: change-up, curveball, change-up, each placed into a teacup.

Yeah, I think I’m going to have to watch it all. And say, “Thank you.”

Pardon me for the longish excerpt, but Boz hits it out of the park again. Please click on the link if you like great writing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #172: September 23, 2023, 09:05:47 PM »
Calls out the Lerners for their jerky way of handling announcing his retirement and for not giving the fans a chance to show appreciation this past month.

Really a bullcrap move by the Post to announce that there would be a Strasburg press conference to be held on 9/9, when there was no official word from the Nationals, then bash the Lerners when that didn't happen. Boz invents this premise that the Nats aren't sufficiently honoring Strasburg in the month of September 2023, I'm not sure why there is this sudden urgency. There will be many future opportunities for press conferences, number retirement ceremonies, and statue unveilings, but no time like the present for Boswell to grandstand.

Thinking about what could have been done in September 2023, how about a Strasburg visit to the clubhouse to mentor the young pitchers? He's getting paid $35 million for this season, not for what he did 2012-2019, how about at least a minimal amount of participation in the team while he's still taking up a roster spot?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #173: September 23, 2023, 09:20:35 PM »
The press conference has been scheduled. At least tentatively. It was reported by multiple MLB sources. It was called off when the team could not reach an agreement with Strasburg. Otherwise wouldn’t they have denied it at the time reported?  Why it was even mentioned on the team broadcasts at the time the new broke.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/09/stephen-strasburgs-retirement-ceremony-canceled.html

As far as mentoring is there any reason to think a quiet guy like Strasburg would add anything.  I don’t think there is much precedent for having an injured pitcher act as a sort of assistant pitching coach.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #174: September 23, 2023, 10:44:32 PM »
The press conference has been scheduled. At least tentatively. It was reported by multiple MLB sources. It was called off when the team could not reach an agreement with Strasburg. Otherwise wouldn’t they have denied it at the time reported?  Why it was even mentioned on the team broadcasts at the time the new broke.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/09/stephen-strasburgs-retirement-ceremony-canceled.html

As far as mentoring is there any reason to think a quiet guy like Strasburg would add anything.  I don’t think there is much precedent for having an injured pitcher act as a sort of assistant pitching coach.

The team never announced a ceremony, nothing was ever promoted, the only source of information was from the original Post report that was repeated elsewhere. The Post once again made themselves a part of the story, breaking the news of a press conference still in the planning stages, then bashing the team for not having the event within an arbitrary timeline.