Author Topic: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani  (Read 4731 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani
« Reply #100: August 24, 2023, 07:34:50 AM »
Of course given the Harper model he could be back to DH early next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #101: August 24, 2023, 08:14:22 AM »
Just terrible for him and baseball. But must be several teams breathing a sigh of relief that it happened before they bid crazy money on him.

Wonder what the Angels will offer including for next year when he basically will not play.  And pitching at all uncertain.
he'll dh next year. IIRC, he did that once before, maybe 2020?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102: August 24, 2023, 08:17:17 AM »
Of course given the Harper model he could be back to DH early next year.
He DH'd the nightcap.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #103: August 24, 2023, 08:52:54 AM »
He DH'd the nightcap.
Hope he does not decide to play through it rest of the year. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #104: August 24, 2023, 09:19:22 AM »
Just terrible for him and baseball. But must be several teams breathing a sigh of relief that it happened before they bid crazy money on him.

Wonder what the Angels will offer including for next year when he basically will not play.  And pitching at all uncertain.
I think they give him a 2 year deal

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #105: August 24, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »
I think they give him a 2 year deal
2 years, $80 million? Resets his value and gives him a chance to see if he can recover from his second TJS?

I wonder if a team would look at him as an outfielder once his arm is OK. Those throws are less stressful than pitching. Perhaps have him available as a reliever.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #106: August 24, 2023, 09:56:13 AM »
 :(

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #107: August 24, 2023, 10:00:59 AM »
looks like he's going to stay at DH and finish the year, which makes no sense given the Angles are 10.5 back of the WC at the moment.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #108: August 24, 2023, 10:27:46 AM »
looks like he's going to stay at DH and finish the year, which makes no sense given the Angles are 10.5 back of the WC at the moment.

It might be about what Ohtani wants to do.   He might see finishing the year strong as a hitter and moving on from pitching as his best chance at a big contract.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #109: August 24, 2023, 10:36:31 AM »
2 years, $80 million? Resets his value and gives him a chance to see if he can recover from his second TJS?

I wonder if a team would look at him as an outfielder once his arm is OK. Those throws are less stressful than pitching. Perhaps have him available as a reliever.
He isn't getting 80 million for what amounts to one year. If that's what it takes, they would just give him a qualifying offer and dare someone to sign him.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #110: August 24, 2023, 10:40:06 AM »
It might be about what Ohtani wants to do.   He might see finishing the year strong as a hitter and moving on from pitching as his best chance at a big contract.

Gotta wonder how many teams will bid on him as a hitter only.  If i'm signing him to a long-term deal, I don't want to risk pitching-related injuries.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111: August 24, 2023, 11:27:44 AM »
He isn't getting 80 million for what amounts to one year. If that's what it takes, they would just give him a qualifying offer and dare someone to sign him.
2 years, total contract, $40 million AAV. May be a touch high, but it's a number that's been hit before on a couple of short contracts. So 2 years, $70 million ($35 million AAV)?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #112: August 24, 2023, 01:24:20 PM »
Some guy Dylan Hernandez wrote an article in the LA Times about Ohtani. Two things of interest to me are comments he made about Max Scherzer and Anthony Rendon. He mentioned Ohtani would do anything for the team even if it negatively affected his pending free agency. As an example of the opposite attitude he mentioned Max refusing to pitch for the Dodgers in game 6 of the NLCS because he was going to be a free agent. He said the Dodgers lost but Maz got a $130 million dollar contract. He also said the Angels won't win until they get rid of deadweight Anthony Rendon's contract after 2026.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #113: August 24, 2023, 04:54:45 PM »
Some guy Dylan Hernandez wrote an article in the LA Times about Ohtani. Two things of interest to me are comments he made about Max Scherzer and Anthony Rendon. He mentioned Ohtani would do anything for the team even if it negatively affected his pending free agency. As an example of the opposite attitude he mentioned Max refusing to pitch for the Dodgers in game 6 of the NLCS because he was going to be a free agent. He said the Dodgers lost but Maz got a $130 million dollar contract. He also said the Angels won't win until they get rid of deadweight Anthony Rendon's contract after 2026.

So people need to ignore Scherzer’s rep as a gamer and believe that he was dodging a start because he was looking to finally make a payday — in a season where he’d be turning 38 — after coming off of one of the biggest deals in MLB history at the time? That’s the take?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/dodgers-max-scherzer-overcooked-his-arm-but-believes-he-can-start-potential-nlcs-game-7/

“With the Braves holding a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven NLCS over the Dodgers, Game 6 is set for Saturday night in Atlanta. Future Hall of Famer Max Scherzer was lined up to start Game 6 for the Dodgers on regular rest, but news broke Friday night that he was scratched due to right arm fatigue. Walker Buehler will instead start Game 6 on short rest. He was lined up for a potential Game 7 -- should the Dodgers win Game 6 to remain alive -- but now Scherzer believes he might be OK to go in that one.

“He spoke with reporters on Saturday and said he "overcooked" his arm a bit (via Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register). That likely has to do with him pitching an inning to close out Game 5 of the NLDS against the Dodgers on two days of rest and then starting Game 2 of the NLCS after just two more days of rest. He only lasted 4 1/3 innings in Game 2 and was noticeably gassed. After the game, he said his arm felt "dead."

“As for Game 7, if it happens, Scherzer said he feels confident he can start it, but he isn't quite sure how long he can go (via Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post). He noted that he was able to throw from a distance of 90 feet each of the last two days and he couldn't do that in the prior days following his Game 2 outing.

“In all, this probably qualifies as good news for the Dodgers, but it also doesn't sound like they are lining up a vintage, prime Mad Max outing. Scherzer is rightfully a supremely confident pitcher when he's right, so to hear him saying stuff like he's "not sure" isn't confidence-inspiring.

“Of course, he's also a competitor of the highest order. In the 2019 World Series, he was scratched from his Game 5 scheduled start due to having such a bad neck injury that he couldn't even sit down properly. He ended up gutting through five innings without having his best stuff in Game 7, which the Nationals won.

“The bottom line is Scherzer is on the table for Game 7 start, if the Dodgers win Game 6, and not much would surprise if he does take the hill.”

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #114: August 24, 2023, 04:58:30 PM »
The Trout contract is about as bad the Rendon contract as he hardly plays either. The contracts don’t excuse their inability to acquire or develop any pitching.  Until they do that the other contracts don’t matter. They are 10th in runs scored in MLB.  The problem has been and continues to be pitching.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #115: August 24, 2023, 05:00:36 PM »
Ultimately it’s Ohtani’s decision but seems low class of the Angels to not talk him into getting the surgery now.  Unless they think they have a deal in place to extend him.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #116: August 24, 2023, 05:02:45 PM »
Ultimately it’s Ohtani’s decision but seems low class of the Angels to not talk him into getting the surgery now.  Unless they think they have a deal in place to extend him.

I have to wonder if surgery is a sure thing, or if he is considering going hitter only going forward.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #117: August 24, 2023, 05:19:32 PM »
I have to wonder if surgery is a sure thing, or if he is considering going hitter only going forward.   

Playing with a torn UCL isn’t great for fielders either

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #118: August 24, 2023, 05:20:17 PM »
Harper delayed his surgery to get through last year but still needed it.  I guess if it’s a really small tear but then he’s probably limited to DH forever. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #119: August 24, 2023, 05:29:04 PM »
Harper delayed his surgery to get through last year but still needed it.  I guess if it’s a really small tear but then he’s probably limited to DH forever. Doesn’t make sense to me.

It makes sense if you think the angles are getting ever last ticket sold they can put of him before wishing him well in free agency

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #120: August 24, 2023, 05:53:20 PM »
It makes sense if you think the angles are getting ever last ticket sold they can put of him before wishing him well in free agency
Yeah exactly.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #123: August 27, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »
I saw Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle. Ohtani is with them as among the greatest. I was tempted to go to Queens just to see Ohtani hit. I predict that he signs with the Dodgers, a class organization that will take care of his arm and let him pitch again if he is ready.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #124: August 28, 2023, 07:08:54 PM »