Author Topic: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3  (Read 27897 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3
« Reply #100: June 18, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
I have definitely encountered some "soccer snobs" in my time, and while it is fun to talk soccer (oops I meant futbol) with them, they are annoying as hell.  But then again, I've met snobs in about every sport.  Frankly, it doesn't matter to me who watches it, as long as there are people out there that I can watch it with and there are exciting matches to watch.  Some people may call it boring watching a ball being dribbled back and forth for 90 minutes with only a few goals, and to those people I sure it is, just like how watching a little green ball (tennis) get bounced back and forth for hours seems equally pointless to me.  Different people enjoy different aspects of sports (in general), to some, it may be a team putting up 8 runs in the 9th inning or scoring 24 points in a quarter, to others, it may be the beauty of a well pitched game or the eloquence of a perfectly placed cross.  I guess, in summary, I just think it is absolutely ridiculous for any one person to try to dictate that they should or should not like a certain sport.

Something that occurred to me after posting my prior treatise is that I think soccer is like baseball in the sense that you tend to appreciate it better when you follow a team on a regular basis and get to know the players and what to expect out of them and what-not. Prior to the Expos' move to DC I was never really able to get into baseball all that much simply because there was no team to watch day-in and day-out (the Orioles don't count due to the hassle of trying to go to games). Since the Nationals moved here I've found it a lot more interesting. Baseball seems not to lend itself to the occasional drop-in viewing because you don't see the slumps, hot streaks, etc. if you tune in sporadically. To some degree soccer, at least in terms of club play as opposed to national team play, seems to reflect some of the same because of how much the team's play might be changed by substituting a different player due to injury, national team call-up, suspension, or whatever, just as in baseball a reshuffling of the batting order or of the defensive lineup can sometimes lead to profound changes in the team's performance (Matt LeCroy at catcher a few years back pops to mind as I type this).

You don't have that issue with football. If you substitute a different offensive lineman, your blocking schemes and play-calling generally won't vary all that much unless the lineman in question is a tight end. It doesn't matter whether you know the players to the same degree because the nature of the game means that more of the players toil in a comparatively anonymous role.

(I'm deliberately not discussing basketball because I don't watch it, and I'm not discussing hockey because, as a rabid hockey fan, I think hockey fans tend to be a breed apart—we watch the game and if someone else seems threatened by it, we just shrug and go back to watching the game.)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #101: June 18, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »
1995 your commentary about "soccer snobs" sounds exactly like Linux snobs :lol:

Sorry, I know I'm the only one who knows what the hell I'm talking about here, I just find it amusing.

I also think people are misinterpreting people expressing their dislike of soccer as being 'threatened'. I don't think US sports fans are threatened by soccer at all. I think it's funny to even suggest that.   

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #102: June 18, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »
I also think people are misinterpreting people expressing their dislike of soccer as being 'threatened'. I don't think US sports fans are threatened by soccer at all. I think it's funny to even suggest that.   

I disagree.  I know many people that feel threatened by it, in the sense that they don't want it to become more popular because they don't know anything about it (further than the basic rules) and will be lost if other people start talking about it.  I've also seen similar situations where people fear hockey.  Dislike can be a by product of fear in some instances, but certainly not most or all.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #103: June 18, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »

I don't think the MAJORITY of fans are threatened by it, but I think there is DEFINITELY an element who act that way because of how defensive and vitriolic they become whenever soccer is mentioned, actively going out of their way to express extreme dislike and ridicule. What's so hard about saying, "Ehhh, I don't like soccer"??? The fact that some people are so overwhelmingly hostile towards it is part of why I say some people act "threatened" by it, again especially people down in SEC country (I suppose I could also cite some hard-core NASCAR fans I know who always go out of their way to express ridicule whenever the NHL is mentioned).

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #104: June 18, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »
My main problem with soccer is that a match goes so quickly you can hardly get 2 beers in! We went with friends to see DC United as a sort of cultural exchange and were shocked to meet them in the concourse leaving the game as we were coming back with our beers. But the poor guy standing the entire time with the huge flag is probably real happy that the games go so quickly.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #105: June 18, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
First pitch now scheduled for 4 PM EST.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #106: June 18, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »
I've been watching Francesca all day (he's good whether you love him or hate him) and he's been really giving the Nats some credit.  Says the young pitchers will be solid for us - really took his hat off to Lannan (and callers asked if the Yanks could work a deal for him, he said he's one of the Nats top guys he's staying put, of course) - likes the pop in our offense.

Also according to YES, the game will start @ 4.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #107: June 18, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »
Anyone watching MASN? Anita Marks is making Matt Weiters into a hall of famer.
This is classic. Calling him the switch hitting Jesus.

She's pissed at the guy that gave up his first homer ball.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #108: June 18, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
She just got totally owned when they told her there's no way to authenticate the ball.
She really thinks Weiters is the 2nd coming

We have a guy named Jesus, that is pretty damn good.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #109: June 18, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »
Hey guys I've been sitting in this delay for 3 hours. Lannan came out with Detwiler and JZim. Was wearing
my Lannan jersey. He flippede a used ball, pretty cool.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #110: June 18, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
It's amazing the Nats/DC don't have a local radio call in show.  980 I understand is Redskins 24/7, but you would think 1500 or maybe the new station will pick up a show that will devote time to the Nats. 

As much as the NY media is hot and cold with their Yankees, it'd be great to have a radio call-in like this.  I do like Nats Talk Live w/ Craig Heist though.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #111: June 18, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »
Hey guys I've been sitting in this delay for 3 hours. Lannan came out with Detwiler and JZim. Was wearing

that's so awesome.  i bet he was pumped to see that.  i'm really thinking about getting a JL jersey too. 

again as long and trying as this season has been, at least we get to see some of our future shine.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #112: June 18, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
I disagree.  I know many people that feel threatened by it, in the sense that they don't want it to become more popular because they don't know anything about it (further than the basic rules) and will be lost if other people start talking about it.  I've also seen similar situations where people fear hockey.  Dislike can be a by product of fear in some instances, but certainly not most or all.

That's ridiculous. People aren't worried that it's going to become more popular because it just isn't. That just isn't going to happen as long as we have the NFL and MLB. Plus it's not like soccer is so complex that a person who understand hockey, baseball and football could NEVER grasp the subtleties of soccer. 

I don't think the MAJORITY of fans are threatened by it, but I think there is DEFINITELY an element who act that way because of how defensive and vitriolic they become whenever soccer is mentioned, actively going out of their way to express extreme dislike and ridicule. What's so hard about saying, "Ehhh, I don't like soccer"??? The fact that some people are so overwhelmingly hostile towards it is part of why I say some people act "threatened" by it, again especially people down in SEC country (I suppose I could also cite some hard-core NASCAR fans I know who always go out of their way to express ridicule whenever the NHL is mentioned).

I don't know about the people down in SEC country but I would have to agree with you that it's not difficult to just say "I don't like it" and move on without being antagonistic. Having said that, some soccer fans do the same thing when the NFL is brought up as the king of the American sports scene or they clearly become offended when someone says they don't like soccer.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #113: June 18, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
They were saying the same thing about soccer 30 years ago. It's just not ever going to happen here in the States. 
this. you guys are funny

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #114: June 18, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
B34ST MODE (the artist formerly known as Air Zimmerman aka AZ  :az: is also at this game, by his prior announcement.  That explains the extreme wetness.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #115: June 18, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »
That's ridiculous. People aren't worried that it's going to become more popular because it just isn't. That just isn't going to happen as long as we have the NFL and MLB. Plus it's not like soccer is so complex that a person who understand hockey, baseball and football could NEVER grasp the subtleties of soccer. 

Thats fine that you think that way, but I still disagree with you on both counts.

No one is arguing that it will become more popular than baseball or basketball or football.

« Reply #116: June 18, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »

I don't think anyone here is trying to say it is going to become more popular than say the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc, at least in America. What is being said is that more and more people are finding an interest in it beyond the youth leagues and that interest can and most likely will give it a bit of a boom here in the States in the future. People here are just questioning the denial of it.

Look, I don't like American football. I just don't. I may voice my distaste of it, but I do not deny it's popularity here in the States. Others are more than welcome to voice their distaste about soccer/futbol, but come on, denying that it isn't popular or growing is seriously turning a blind eye on purpose.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #117: June 18, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »

I don't know about the people down in SEC country but I would have to agree with you that it's not difficult to just say "I don't like it" and move on without being antagonistic. Having said that, some soccer fans do the same thing when the NFL is brought up as the king of the American sports scene or they clearly become offended when someone says they don't like soccer.

I absolutely agree with this and I think my long post earlier in this thread echoed that theme. I've always felt that some—certainly not all, but absolutely more than an insignificant portion—soccer fans seem to have a chip on their shoulders about soccer not being on the same level as the so-called "Big Four" American pro sports league. All you can say to those people is "get over it."

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #118: June 18, 2009, 04:15:51 PM »
[UPDATE, 3:56 p.m.] - If you're curious about potential make-up dates, the Nationals and Yankees have only one mutual off day the rest of season. That's on Monday. And the Yankees, at that point, are in the middle of a road trip -- finishing Sunday in Florida, starting Tuesday in Atlanta. So, that's one of the complicating factors here.

---

[UPDATE, 3:49 p.m.] - Up here in the press box, we just received announcement that there's another round of heavy showers predicted in the "immediate future." The 4 p.m. start time has been pushed back. No first pitch yet to be announced.

Looks more likely they won't even play this one....

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #119: June 18, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
Tons of Nats fans here by the way, very surprising! No rain for a while, I wonder why the tarp is still on.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #120: June 18, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
I don't think anyone here is trying to say it is going to become more popular than say the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc, at least in America. What is being said is that more and more people are finding an interest in it beyond the youth leagues and that interest can and most likely will give it a bit of a boom here in the States in the future. People here are just questioning the denial of it.

Look, I don't like American football. I just don't. I may voice my distaste of it, but I do not deny it's popularity here in the States. Others are more than welcome to voice their distaste about soccer/futbol, but come on, denying that it isn't popular or growing is seriously turning a blind eye on purpose.
growing in popularity?

NFL is god.

« Reply #121: June 18, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »
growing in popularity? (Image removed from quote.)

NFL is god.

I completely rest my case.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #122: June 18, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »
growing in popularity? (Image removed from quote.)

NFL is god.

Don't be a dick dude.  Just because Soccer isn't huge doesn't mean it hasn't gained popularity.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #123: June 18, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »
Jesus Colome just threw me a ball. Detwiler also did a few minutes ago but I choked and some  dbag Yanks fan got it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #124: June 18, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
Looks more likely they won't even play this one....

hopefully they can get this game in, i'll be off work in a little bit and would love to watch the game with a beer.  although i'm still feeling good from last night's win, so i would be okay with carrying that high over to tomorrow.