Author Topic: So, I am going to get a Gaming PC. Thought I'd never say that again.  (Read 614 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
my current thought on this is to buy a stock Desktop from like Walmart or Staples some crap, that has a really good processor, and then upgrade it manually with parts(RAM, Graphics card, etc.)

I know enough about building computers to add parts to a machine, but not enough to build a machine from scratch.

so, what price range am I looking at here, I'm not ready to buy just yet, I have to put the money aside first.

basically, I want a PC that can run most MMORPGs on Max or Near-Max settings with no problem, while also running Raptr and/or Steam in the background.

ballpark dollar figure for what I will need to save up, for a Desktop?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
What games do you want to play with it?

Offline JMW IV

What games do you want to play with it?

Neverwinter, Planetside 2, Wildstar, maybe Elder Scrolls Online, and Camelot Unchained down the road.

pretty much strictly MMORPGs.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Are you ever going to want to leave your house but still play these games? Also, what's your budget?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Are you ever going to want to leave your house but still play these games? Also, what's your budget?

Well, you'll save a lot on clothes.

Offline JMW IV

I'm not sure I want a laptop, if thats what you are asking. I have a laptop, and it never leaves my house. I'm thinking a Desktop will be cheaper, and laptops aren't really upgradeable.

i think sometime down the road i will get a tablet if i need to travel or anything.

overall, I'm not sure of my budget, I'm going to set however much money I need aside for this, so that I can make sure i get a computer that I'll be happy with making simple upgrades to (like swapping out a graphics card) for a few years at least.

Offline HalfSmokes

I'd seriously consider building one from scratch- if you're junking parts, the you're just wasting money, and if you end up getting a box with a decent processor, you may be junking expensive (but not top of the line parts).

Offline JMW IV

I'd seriously consider building one from scratch- if you're junking parts, the you're just wasting money, and if you end up getting a box with a decent processor, you may be junking expensive (but not top of the line parts).

if I knew how to build one from scratch, I'd do it. but i actually want a computer that works, so I don't trust myself to do it.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
if I knew how to build one from scratch, I'd do it. but i actually want a computer that works, so I don't trust myself to do it.

It's incredibly simple.  Just plug the parts into the slot they fit in.  I'm pretty sure cmd never built a PC in his life before the one he built around the time I did my last build.

As for buying one from Walmart or whatever then upgrading, the biggest problem there is that you won't be getting a good processor most likely, and the power supply is probably going to be the bare minimum to run what's in there.  Adding a discrete GPU could be way too much for it to handle.

Is your budget going to be tower only or will you need k/d/m as well?

Offline HalfSmokes

I don't know if things have changed, but when I used to build my own, getting a tower that can easily accommodate multiple fans was a nice by product

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Here's a 10 minute slapped-together list for kind of an idea.  I didn't really look to maximize performance/dollar or anything, just throwing parts together to get an idea.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler:  Xigmatek Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition 89.5 CFM  CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard:  MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card  ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Case:  Antec GX700 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply:  Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($86.25 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $906.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 15:42 EDT-0400)