Author Topic: Windmill them in: The Fire Bob Sendley Thread  (Read 5716 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I think most people want the risk of sending guys measured against the chances of the next hitter or hitters driving them in.  I'm a lot more annoyed by guys getting thrown out at the plate with good hitters on deck or for the first out.   But I still land on the more windmilly side just because it seems every MF and his neighbor now strikes out once a game like it's no big inconvenience. 

In yesterday's case, let's say Henley held Bell at 3rd. Avila was on 2nd after his double. Robles, the number 8 hitter, was up with two outs. They could've easily walked him to bring up Scherzer and the runners would all likely be stranded. It was an aggressive send, and a good throw and relay gets him, but it worked out. I think it was the right call in that particular situation.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think most people want the risk of sending guys measured against the chances of the next hitter or hitters driving them in.  I'm a lot more annoyed by guys getting thrown out at the plate with good hitters on deck or for the first out.   But I still land on the more windmilly side just because it seems every MF and his neighbor now strikes out once a game like it's no big inconvenience.

First out I understand. And I think Henley follows this generally. But I think that looking at the next batter is overrated. Assuming that a major league batter is on deck the chance of the next guy getting on base is going to be at worst 25 percent and at most 40 percent (for the most part). I think that delta isn’t enough to be taking it into account over other factors.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Also, I am not sure he sends Bell if the throw wasn't from Williams wasn't an off-target 5 hopper.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

In yesterday's case, let's say Henley held Bell at 3rd. Avila was on 2nd after his double. Robles, the number 8 hitter, was up with two outs. They could've easily walked him to bring up Scherzer and the runners would all likely be stranded. It was an aggressive send, and a good throw and relay gets him, but it worked out. I think it was the right call in that particular situation.

Agree. But Robles right now is almost not worth walking, not that it makes a difference there.

First out I understand. And I think Henley follows this generally. But I think that looking at the next batter is overrated. Assuming that a major league batter is on deck the chance of the next guy getting on base is going to be at worst 25 percent and at most 40 percent (for the most part). I think that delta isn’t enough to be taking it into account over other factors.

That's a pretty big delta.  And it also doesn't account for the factor of runs scoring on productive outs.  A dude who strikes out a lot standing on deck should matter if there's 1 out. 

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Of course, Henley cannot stop "swashbuckling" Victor Robles from running into a tag at 3B.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Bump

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Bump
Bell?  Well, it was close enough for a replay review.  I forget who was coming up. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Insane send tonight compounded by a true :wtf: moment by Josh Harrison. Margot had the ball die just short of the wall in the 9th or it is possible we look back at that being a game losing play.

Our baserunning is awful. Baserunning all over college and MLB is awful.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021-baserunning-batting.shtml

Those stats show the Nationals actually aren't that bad but every night it feels like all hell is breaking loose between 3B and home.

Online Five Banners

Seems like such a lost opportunity that he didn’t stay at first base

Offline aspenbubba

Bump. Didn’t it happen last nite with Parra being thrown out at the plate TWICE. Once was his fault but Henley waved him in on the second attempt.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: Windmill them in: The Fire Bob Sendley Thread
« Reply #135: October 10, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »
Henley and Knorr won’t be on the coaching staff next season but will likely remain in the organization.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball