Author Topic: Moving back to the DMV this year. Most affordable areas to live these days?  (Read 717 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Been a long 4-5 years but I am finally coming back to the DC area later this year.

Any suggestions for a Metro Train accessible area that doesn't cost an arm, leg, and half a foot to live?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline WerthHisWeight

Doesn't exist.  All of my friends are way outside the beltway (can you say "Sterling" or "Germantown"?) or on the edge of disaster in NE or SE.  My base is Arlington, and I have no arms or legs left.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

Offline JMW IV

Doesn't exist.  All of my friends are way outside the beltway (can you say "Sterling" or "Germantown"?) or on the edge of disaster in NE or SE.  My base is Arlington, and I have no arms or legs left.

Figured as much. I'll do what I gotta do though. Cost of Living is too damn high.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Any suggestions for a Metro Train accessible area that doesn't cost an arm, leg, and half a foot to live?

Offline HalfSmokes

if you're willing to take a bus to the metro, there are probably some places. There are apartment complexes around huntley meadows that might be what you're looking for

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline Natsinpwc

Woodbridge is not bad although it is not near metro. Seems a long ways away but if you take commuter bus, slug line or car pool it's basically an hour commute. Which is same as a bus ride and metro trip from most places in the inner burbs.

Offline mitlen

Woodbridge is not bad although it is not near metro. Seems a long ways away but if you take commuter bus, slug line or car pool it's basically an hour commute. Which is same as a bus ride and metro trip from most places in the inner burbs.

Actually, that commuter bus thing ain't a bad idea.   They have one from Loudoun as well.

Offline Natsinpwc

Actually, that commuter bus thing ain't a bad idea.   They have one from Loudoun as well.
Did them all over the years. Commuter bus, car pool, van pool, slug line. They all suck but had to get there somehow.

Offline JMW IV

Here is the thing.

I am not tied to any particular area, until I figure put where I am going to transfer jobs to. Proximity to my daughter is what matters, as well as being able to live in an area that I would be comfortable raising her in.

I just dont want to have to walk a long way to get on a bus or train.

Offline Mr Clean

Been a long 4-5 years but I am finally coming back to the DC area later this year.

Twinbrook area of Rockville.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Here is the thing.

I am not tied to any particular area, until I figure put where I am going to transfer jobs to. Proximity to my daughter is what matters, as well as being able to live in an area that I would be comfortable raising her in.

I just dont want to have to walk a long way to get on a bus or train.

got any ideas about the hours you will be able to work?  Some of the commuter bus things are not very doable outside M-F commuter hours.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

I hate those Loudoun buses. They drive like nut jobs, cutting around traffic on exit ramps, being super aggressive. One tried to run me out of my lane in Rosslyn once.

Offline JMW IV

got any ideas about the hours you will be able to work?  Some of the commuter bus things are not very doable outside M-F commuter hours.

Typical retail management hours.

Offline dracnal

Leesburg is pretty affordable IMO.  Also has access to lots of services and such. With the Silver line stretching out this way it's going to just get easier to get places in the future.

Offline mitlen

I hate those Loudoun buses. They drive like nut jobs, cutting around traffic on exit ramps, being super aggressive. One tried to run me out of my lane in Rosslyn once.

That's why I took the bus.   I let him/her run you off the road while I read.

Offline mitlen

Leesburg is pretty affordable IMO.  Also has access to lots of services and such. With the Silver line stretching out this way it's going to just get easier to get places in the future.

Depends where ya work.   If you work in DC and ride the subway from Reston or one of the new stations in Loudoun   ....   that's a long haul.    If ya have a job in Tysons, Leesburg (E. Loudoun) may be just the ticket.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I don't think living in Leesburg and actually working in the District is going to work if you rely solely on public transportation.

Sent from my bike.

Offline mitlen

I don't think living in Leesburg and actually working in the District is going to work if you rely solely on public transportation.

Sent from my bike.

Loudoun County Commuter Bus takes you right downtown.     

Sent from my couch.

Offline JMW IV

Sent from my bike.

Nah, if I lived in Leesburg, i'd work in Leesburg too.

I'm gonna transfer to a store wherever I decide to live, if I can.

Offline mitlen

Excellent idea since you can do it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

That certainly changes things.  Leesburg isn't bad if you don't have to commute into DC every day.  I don't know what these apartments are like now, but there were some decent apartments in Burke and West Springfield (where that big silly Sportsfan lives) that some of my friends lived in years ago.  That puts you within an easy non-daily commute of DC, PG County, and Alexandria.