Author Topic: "God Bless America"  (Read 8296 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: "God Bless America"
« Reply #75: October 29, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
Toby Keith surely just plays to the masses with his red white and blue lyrics, and this coming from a country music fan.  That being said Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA is about as great a patriotic song as there is. 
honestly, I hate GBUSA because the first time I heard it, it was being used as Reagan's 1984 campaign theme song.  I can't stand when patriotism is used to divide the country. 

I hate it when our troops are used as props for campaign speeches or thinly veiled campaign events, too.  both sides do this.  Soldiers who object to the commander-in-chief's politics should not be commanded to go to such events, chain of command or not.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #76: October 29, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
Toby Keith surely just plays to the masses with his red white and blue lyrics, and this coming from a country music fan.  That being said Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA is about as great a patriotic song as there is. 

That song is vomitorious.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #77: October 29, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
honestly, I hate GBUSA because the first time I heard it, it was being used as Reagan's 1984 campaign theme song.  I can't stand when patriotism is used to divide the country. 

I hate the Kate Smith version of the song because she's a crappy singer....  And because the Yankees suck.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #78: October 29, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »
No one should tell anyone how to feel about anything.  Perhaps the flag stands for someone who lost a parent or loved one serving in a war they don't believe in.  That person might not appreciate or believe the same thing that someone else does. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #79: October 29, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
No one should tell anyone how to feel about anything.  Perhaps the flag stands for someone who lost a parent or loved one serving in a war they don't believe in.  That person might not appreciate or believe the same thing that someone else does. 

Excellent point TF.    I'm told, "Thank you for your service."    I know they mean well but deep inside, it puckers me up.   I was drafted and I believe that thanking me for my service is like thanking me for being in prison.    I know that 's probably not the correct expression of how it affects me but it's the best I can come up with.   I didn't serve because I wanted to.   It was simply my turn to step up.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #80: October 29, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
Excellent point TF.    I'm told, "Thank you for your service."    I know they mean well but deep inside, it puckers me up.   I was drafted and I believe that thanking me for my service is like thanking me for being in prison.    I know that 's probably not the correct expression of how it affects me but it's the best I can come up with.   I didn't serve because I wanted to.   It was simply my turn to step up.

I'd likely be one of those people that would thank you for your service. To me it doesn't matter what your reasons for being there were, it's the fact that you were there and did as you were directed to do by our Government. If you served honorably, then you deserve thanks, period.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #81: October 29, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
Reagan's campaign really wanted "Born In The USA"  by Bruce Springstein.  But Springstein threatened a lawsuit and the GOP dropped us it

I hate it when our troops are used as props for campaign speeches or thinly veiled campaign events, too.  both sides do this.  Soldiers who object to the commander-in-chief's politics should not be commanded to go to such events, chain of command or not.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #82: October 29, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
I despise GBUSA. When I hear it at Nats Park between innings I want to remind the Lerners that the park is nearly alongisde the Washington Navy Yard, where John Philip Souza led the Marin Band. I'd rather hear a Souza march than GBUSA.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #83: October 30, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »

I'm 100% with you on that. I never served although all through school up until HS, I wanted to go into the Army. In 1994, being fat and flatfooted took care of most of that. I come from a long line of soldiers however.

Misbehave during the Anthem, well we may have issues, soldier or not. My boy is already learning that, aside from "Incoming!!!" or "Gun!!", he doesn't have anything that important to say that can't wait until it's over. GBA, great tune, but not the same.

"Hey dad, check out her rack"

True story

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: October 30, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »
I suppose my gripe is more with Ed Rollins and Michael Deaver than it is with Lee Greenwood.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #85: October 30, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #86: October 30, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »
"Hey dad, check out her rack"

True story

Now come on man, you gotta teach the kid silent methods for bossom watching.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87: November 05, 2013, 08:18:38 AM »
broke out the EEO discussion and moved it to the Red loft

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30254.0

Online Slateman

« Reply #88: November 19, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »
While we're on the subject, no more military fly overs unless a private company is paying for it. Tired of seeing my tax dollars wasted.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #89: November 19, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
While we're on the subject, no more military fly overs unless a private company is paying for it. Tired of seeing my tax dollars wasted.

Bite your tongue, dood...a military jet flyover is my favorite part of a game day...other than the National Anthem itself...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #90: November 19, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
Bite your tongue, dood...a military jet flyover is my favorite part of a game day...other than the National Anthem itself...

I'd take a cease to the flyovers (and boots on the ground) in Afghanistan in exchange.     :couch:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #91: November 19, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
I'd take a cease to the flyovers (and boots on the ground) in Afghanistan in exchange.     :couch:

Wouldn't we all...

Thanks, Bush...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #92: November 19, 2013, 05:26:41 PM »
Wouldn't we all...

Thanks, Bush...

That didn't take long:

New Afghanistan Deal: Obama to Apologize; US Troops There Indefinitely

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/afghanistan-obama-apology-troops/2013/11/19/id/537487?ns_mail_uid=65017537&ns_mail_job=1546765_11192013&promo_code=15A9E-1

Thanks, Obama...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #93: November 19, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
That didn't take long:

New Afghanistan Deal: Obama to Apologize; US Troops There Indefinitely

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/afghanistan-obama-apology-troops/2013/11/19/id/537487?ns_mail_uid=65017537&ns_mail_job=1546765_11192013&promo_code=15A9E-1

Thanks, Obama...

Missus and I were just sittin' here and heard that.    Just shook our heads.   We're both vets.   Our dads, uncles and cousins have served in various capacities.     When does it end?

Offline blue911

« Reply #94: November 19, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »
Missus and I were just sittin' here and heard that.    Just shook our heads.   We're both vets.   Our dads, uncles and cousins have served in various capacities.     When does it end?

Once Diem leaves office.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #95: November 19, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »
Once Diem leaves office.

Yeah, pretty much  ...    :(

Online Slateman

« Reply #96: November 19, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »

Find me a significant period of time in which the United States has NOT be involved in a conflict.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #97: November 19, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »
Find me a significant period of time in which the United States has NOT be involved in a conflict.

Funny how we always have a reason to be in a conflict.    You won't find a significant period.    That's my bane.    My family has been involved in every one of those insignificant periods since before the beginning of the republic.   It gets old.

Online Slateman

« Reply #98: November 19, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
Like I've been saying. Cut the military in half. Get the debt under control, reduce taxes, force the US to stop going with the military option.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #99: November 19, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »
1919 - 1940
1952 - 1963
1975 - 1983
1991 - 2001

The real question should be when have our military been in battle more than 5 years ?