Author Topic: Harry Kalus, Voice of Phillies & NFL Films, Senators Fan  (Read 1484 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

The Nationals pregame radio show  featured an interview of the 40-years+ voice of the Phillies, Harry Kalus today.  I immediately recognized the voice as the longtime voice of NFL Films, including HBO's long running Inside the NFL show.  Anyone who has seen NFL Matchup on ESPN would know that former Eagle quarterback Ron Jaworski is a regular.  The NFL has a facility in New Jersey, just outside Philadelphia, where Jaworski practically lives, viewing game tapes each week.  So it makes sense that a local broadcaster like Kalus ended up becoming the new NFL voice in 1984.  In confirming that Kalus was also the NFL voice, I came across a heartwarming article about how he became, not only a baseball fan, but a Washington Senators fan.

"Kalas recalled his first baseball game and what it meant. "I was raised in Naperville, Illinois, which is 30 miles outside of Chicago," he said. 'The first game my dad took me to was the White Sox and the Senators at Comiskey Park. It was a rainy day so he was able to get tickets right behind the Senators' dugout. I'm 10 years old, all wide-eyed at my first major league game. Since it rained there was no batting practice and Mickey Vernon of the Senators poked his head out of the dugout and sees this wide-eyed kid. He picks me up, takes me to the dugout, gives me a baseball and that began my love of the Senators and baseball.'"  http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/kalasprofile.html

Every time a MLB player takes a minute of their time, as pitcher Zach Day did with TomTerps' daughter, a lifelong fan can potentially be created.  Even when the team is on the road.

Offline sportsfan882

Is he the old guy that still does Comcast Philly games?  If so, he has the most annoying voice and is very, very boring.

Offline nats2playoffs

He's got to be older.  I don't know if he does Phillies' radio or TV.  For the NFL, he's doing voiceover narration of the highlights of NFL games, accompanied by up-tempo music.  Listening to the radio interview, I could see how his voice could get on someone's nerves after awhile.

Offline Dave B

pretty sure he does their tv.  i think his voice has gotten slower over the years. i remember liking it, but i heard it for an extended time one game and it wasnt that cool anymore

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Quote from: "Dave B"
pretty sure he does their tv.  i think his voice has gotten slower over the years. i remember liking it, but i heard it for an extended time one game and it wasnt that cool anymore

Its kind of cool when your watching clips, but that voice for the entire game is horrible!  Besides, he has no interest in the opposing team, including the Nats, as he repeatedly forgot who was where, calling Marlon Anderson Alex Escobar and calling Felipe Lopez Alex Escobar.

Offline El Kabong

Quote from: "nats2playoffs"
"Kalas recalled his first baseball game and what it meant. "I was raised in Naperville, Illinois, which is 30 miles outside of Chicago," he said. 'The first game my dad took me to was the White Sox and the Senators at Comiskey Park. It was a rainy day so he was able to get tickets right behind the Senators' dugout. I'm 10 years old, all wide-eyed at my first major league game. Since it rained there was no batting practice and Mickey Vernon of the Senators poked his head out of the dugout and sees this wide-eyed kid. He picks me up, takes me to the dugout, gives me a baseball and that began my love of the Senators and baseball.'"  http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/kalasprofile.html

I remembered earlier this year when CSN did a program about some long forgotten homemovie clips that Mickey Vernon took during his playing career (I especially loved the one clip where Vernon filmed Ted Williams and he actually got Ted to smile), and they interviewed Kalas and he told the same story.  It was pretty neat.

DelNatsFan

I remember Harry Kalas at Spring Training '04. I have a picture of him signing my program.  He was going along up the fence signing for us along with Dallas Green. As he went down the line he kept saying, in his trademark voice,  "I hope You're all gonna come out to Citizens Bank Park !" I called out to him "I'm Goin' on Opening Day!" and he replied "Alright!"  Then Dallas started up a conversation with hime right then and there about the great pitching performance of Eric Milton that day and i'll swear I was standing in the booth during a postgame show. It was surreal!
   I still have the signed program framed and hanging on my wall.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
Quote from: "nats2playoffs"
The Nationals pregame radio show  featured an interview of the 40-years+ voice of the Phillies, Harry Kalus today.  I immediately recognized the voice as the longtime voice of NFL Films, including HBO's long running Inside the NFL show.  Anyone who has seen NFL Matchup on ESPN would know that former Eagle quarterback Ron Jaworski is a regular.  The NFL has a facility in New Jersey, just outside Philadelphia, where Jaworski practically lives, viewing game tapes each week.  So it makes sense that a local broadcaster like Kalus ended up becoming the new NFL voice in 1984.  In confirming that Kalus was also the NFL voice, I came across a heartwarming article about how he became, not only a baseball fan, but a Washington Senators fan.

Every time a MLB player takes a minute of their time, as pitcher Zach Day did with TomTerps' daughter, a lifelong fan can potentially be created.  Even when the team is on the road.
(Image removed from quote.)

Of course, this happened at a White Sox game.  You can't beat fun at Comiskey Park, old, new, or when its called U.S. Cellular Field.