Author Topic: Stone Garrett - MIA  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Stone Garrett - MIA
« Reply #50: January 25, 2024, 08:01:37 PM »
Terrible that he’s had to endure all of that.  Pulling hard for him to recover fully and pick up where he left off.
Me too. Could be a great story.  Need one of those.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #51: February 22, 2024, 12:07:17 AM »
Great news on Stone: https://www.masnsports.com/blog/garrett-easing-his-way-back-but-approaching-final-leg-of-rehab

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Stone Garrett was taking fly balls with the rest of the Nationals’ outfielders earlier this week when one of the coaches sent a deep drive over his head. It was the first time he was forced to go back toward the wall to make a play this spring, the first time he engaged in such an activity since that awful August night at Yankee Stadium when he suffered a gruesome injury.

Garrett, though, never thought about any of that. He simply tracked down the ball, made the play and re-took his position, only realizing afterward the significance of the moment.

“It’s kind of like instinct,” he said. “It was weird, we were doing fly balls and one just shot off. … You just go get it, don’t think about the leg or anything. So it’s been pretty nice. No pain. No nothing, really.”

Garrett always knew he’d make a full physical recovery from the broken left fibula and damaged ankle he suffered trying to make a leaping grab at the wall in New York late last summer. The real test, though, was going to be mental. When the time came to make a tough baseball play, would he hesitate at all, or would instincts take over?

When those instincts indeed took over, Garrett breathed a sigh of relief.

“I’m still doing it,” he said with pride. “Like, yeah, I can still do this. So it definitely was a sigh of relief.”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: February 22, 2024, 03:43:25 PM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/stone-garrett-discusses-recovery-from-left-leg-injury

“I just want to make sure that he’s 100 percent before we get him out there and really start fully going,” manager Dave Martinez said. “But he looks good. Look, he worked diligently all winter long to get himself ready. I think he’s in a good spot. I think as of right now, he could be ready for Opening Day, and that’s the way we’re looking at it.”

IF that means in the field on opening day, then I'd be :shock:

Offline imref

« Reply #53: February 22, 2024, 04:09:24 PM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/stone-garrett-discusses-recovery-from-left-leg-injury

IF that means in the field on opening day, then I'd be :shock:
Hopefully DH / PH against LHP at a minimum (though he doesn't have big splits)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54: February 22, 2024, 05:22:45 PM »
Hopefully DH / PH against LHP at a minimum (though he doesn't have big splits)
if the dude is healthy, then I want him full time and eventually in the OF if his leg is sound. I have higher hopes for him being in the OF for the next good Nats team than Thomas. I expect Thomas either to be dealt or to walk after 2025.

Gallo and Winker complicate Garrett's playing time, but Gallo can play first if Stone can play LF. Again, my "who needs OF defense" fantasy has Gallo-Thomas-Garrett on opening day, with Winker at DH and Meneses at 1st.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: February 25, 2024, 11:20:34 AM »
https://www.federalbaseball.com/2024/2/25/24081979/washington-nationals-news-notes-keibert-ruiz-in-2024-stone-garrett-building-back-up

Patrick Reddington:
“We’re definitely keeping on eye on him and progressing him, and he’s progressing quite well, but like I said, he’s still got to check some boxes for us. But he’s out there, and he’s going through a lot of different things. We’re trying to limit his baserunning still, right now, so he’s not participating in the baserunning, because he’s emulating other things to do the baserunning stuff. But he’s swinging the bat, he’s doing the live BPs, he’s doing everything that we feel like he’s ready for.”
“We’re probably going to ease his way in. Like I said, once the minor leaguers come in and those guys get ready and they start, we can get [Garrett] as many at-bats as we need. We can do a lot of different things. So, right now, I’m looking at what he did today, and he looked good, he’s progressing, I saw him do his outfield work and he looked really good, but as far as getting him in a game, we’ll see how he does in the next few days.

“It’s going to be a while before I really feel comfortable putting him in a game, but we’re definitely progressing in the right direction.”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56: March 21, 2024, 05:30:56 PM »
Stone cleared to play minor league games. 6-7 innings.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-injuries-and-roster-moves

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: March 21, 2024, 05:46:55 PM »
Good news. 

Offline imref

« Reply #58: April 12, 2024, 09:50:32 PM »
Stone starts a rehab assignment at Harrisburg the next time they play (he was supposed to play tonight per Zuck).

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #59: April 13, 2024, 02:53:52 PM »
Stone starts a rehab assignment at Harrisburg the next time they play (he was supposed to play tonight per Zuck).
I'm guessing Trey gets optioned and Rosario gets sent down. Senzel and Garrett get brought off the IL.

Offline imref

« Reply #60: April 21, 2024, 11:48:05 AM »
Stone hitting well at Harrisburg. Rosario's day of reckoning is hopefully coming soon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: April 21, 2024, 04:35:16 PM »
1 for 5 today, DH'd. I don't know if they keep him down until he's playing regularly in left.

11 for 32  with 1  double at H-burg and Rochester. 42 innings in left. this may have been only his 2d appearance as a DH.

Offline imref

« Reply #62: April 21, 2024, 04:52:16 PM »
He played in left last night. If they replace rosario with him our backup CFs would be Vargas, Thomas, and Gallo.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63: April 21, 2024, 05:24:54 PM »
He played in left last night. If they replace rosario with him our backup CFs would be Vargas, Thomas, and Gallo.
which is fine, especially after Robles is back.

Offline imref

« Reply #64: April 21, 2024, 06:33:12 PM »
which is fine, especially after Robles is back.
bringing Robles back means demoting or dfa’ng someone else.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65: April 21, 2024, 07:12:04 PM »
bringing Robles back means demoting or dfa’ng someone else.
yes, but I don't see them releasing Robles.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #66: April 21, 2024, 07:26:55 PM »
Can’t wait for Garrett to be back.  By end of year hopefully Garrett-crews-wood left to right with Thomas traded, young backing up, Winker Dhing, and Rosario gone

Offline imref

« Reply #67: April 24, 2024, 07:23:57 PM »
Moved up to Rochester

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #68: April 25, 2024, 12:31:15 AM »
Moved up to Rochester

Went 0-5 in his debut as a DH

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #69: April 25, 2024, 12:34:15 AM »
Went 0-5 in his debut as a DH
He's gonna fit in nicely

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #70: April 25, 2024, 01:24:21 AM »
Garret has a career 123 ops+ in 355 PA over the last 2 seasons.  Good EVs too.  He'll come back and LF/DH with Winker.  Gallo needs to go.  No place for him in a rebuild.  I'd rather roll with meneses at first as he has cheap team control left.  Have winker and stone as LF/DH however you'd like it.

A top 6 in the lineup of:

Abrams
Thomas
Winker
Garrett
Garcia
Meneses

That's pretty good all things considered.  good l-r-l-r-l-r

Offline GataNats

« Reply #71: Yesterday at 01:04:02 AM »
Rosario is worse than anyone in baseball

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72: Yesterday at 08:24:31 AM »
Garret has a career 123 ops+ in 355 PA over the last 2 seasons.  Good EVs too.  He'll come back and LF/DH with Winker.  Gallo needs to go.  No place for him in a rebuild.  I'd rather roll with meneses at first as he has cheap team control left.  Have winker and stone as LF/DH however you'd like it.

A top 6 in the lineup of:

Abrams
Thomas
Winker
Garrett
Garcia
Meneses

That's pretty good all things considered.  good l-r-l-r-l-r
Just need Wood in centerfield as the next L

Offline imref

« Reply #73: Yesterday at 12:02:42 PM »
Stone was activated yesterday and assigned to Rochester, so he's off the IL but they aren't ready to call him up yet. I don't think this requires locking this thread and reopening the farm thread on him as I assume this is just temporary.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #74: Yesterday at 09:49:02 PM »
Rosario is worse than anyone in baseball

But he's given us the Rosario Line.  Gallo's starting to get very close to it as well.