Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 36119 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He won a contest.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
10 out 14. Max looks great.

Go get one of Semein/Story/Frazier, then go get Ian Kennedy  from the Rangers

Only if we could get one with Adon or maybe Rutledge as the center piece (Rutledge I would also want a reliever included).  I like Henry more than rutledge and cavalli should be completely off limits unless we’re getting Jose Ramirez

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Only if we could get one with Adon or maybe Rutledge as the center piece (Rutledge I would also want a reliever included).  I like Henry more than rutledge and cavalli should be completely off limits unless we’re getting Jose Ramirez
freak that. Give them whatever they want.

Offline imref

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
freak that. Give them whatever they want.

Sadly not this deadline unless they have an absolutely abysmal July

Offline Count Walewski

Thankfully still lots of time between now and July 31 to see if this win streak is just an aberration or if the Nats are back.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
Thankfully still lots of time between now and July 31 to see if this win streak is just an aberration or if the Nats are back.

If we end up above .500 and within 3 -5 games after the LA/SD/SF series then we need to buy.

Offline Slateman

See, I genuinely think the problem with that is that if we wait until the deadline, it will be too late. We need that bat and a bullpen arm now (or at least soon).

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Almost all teams every season will go on a hot run. The good thing about this one is it was done with both Max and Stras on the IL.

I do however think another bullpen arm for the 8th and 9th makes this a playoff team. Nothing kills a team like late inning blow ups.

Offline nfotiu

Almost all teams every season will go on a hot run. The good thing about this one is it was done with both Max and Stras on the IL.

I do however think another bullpen arm for the 8th and 9th makes this a playoff team. Nothing kills a team like late inning blow ups.
The bullpen looks a lot better once Hudson is back.   We might want to wait a bit and see which of our BP guys and which trade targets still look good without the sticky stuff.

Offline Slateman

Hudson has elbow inflammation. Hes already had TJS and a host of other arm issues. He may not be back at all

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
If we buy what would it take to get berrios + Donaldson or Polanco from the twins?

Is Fedde/Ross + resurgent Kieboom + Rutledge/Henry + De la Rosa a starting point?

Offline Slateman

If we buy what would it take to get berrios + Donaldson or Polanco from the twins?

Is Fedde/Ross + resurgent Kieboom + Rutledge/Henry + De la Rosa a starting point?
Why the freak would we want to pay for Donaldson?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Why the freak would we want to pay for Donaldson?

His price buys down the prospect return and we really need a righty power bat that can play 3b or 2b and bat behind Soto.

Schwarber
Turner
Soto
Donaldson
Bell
Gomes
Harrison
Robles

Looking good

Offline imref

Donaldson: .245  / .342 / .454, 10 HRs
Castro: .246 / .295 / .328, 2 HRs

Seems like a decent upgrade.  We'd probably want to send Castro back as part of a trade though unless we move him to 2nd, cut Mercer, and use Harrison off the bench.

Offline Slateman

His price buys down the prospect return and we really need a righty power bat that can play 3b or 2b and bat behind Soto.

Schwarber
Turner
Soto
Donaldson
Bell
Gomes
Harrison
Robles

Looking good

The Lerners arent paying the luxury tax for the end of Donaldson's contract

Offline Count Walewski

The Nationals have neither financial flexibility nor a well-stocked farm system. What exactly are they going to trade?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
The Nationals have neither financial flexibility nor a well-stocked farm system. What exactly are they going to trade?

Have the lerners said they aren’t going over the Lux tax?  No

Is the lux tax a hard cap? No

Kieboom and Garcia are no longer “prospects” but are young players with upside.

Fedde and Ross are pitching well and one could be deemed expendable following a Strasbourg return or a trade for another starter.

Offline Natsinpwc

Have the lerners said they aren’t going over the Lux tax?  No

Is the lux tax a hard cap? No

Kieboom and Garcia are no longer “prospects” but are young players with upside.

Fedde and Ross are pitching well and one could be deemed expendable following a Strasbourg return or a trade for another starter.
They are not going into the luxury tax. Everyone knows that. Except you. They appear to have about $12 million per fangraphs. So some room to add salary.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/nationals

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I think by mid-July we'll have a better idea. We'll cool off, but we'll still have a better idea if this squad has staying power or this is just a blip.

I'm on the side of the Nationals are really limited on what we can add. I doubt ownership is adding a lot more payroll and our farm system is just so barren.

Even a Freddy Galvis or Eduardo Escober type pick up would help out in the 3B/2B rotation. Those guys won't break the bank but would be better than what we have with Castro and Mercer.

I wouldn't mind a back of the rotation starter to help get through the rest of the season. But if we make the playoffs, I have no idea what happens after Scherzer and Corbin.

Offline Natsinpwc

Boras at it again.  You want Max?  You have to give him a contract beyond this year.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/nbcsports/agent-to-cubs-others-max-scherzer-seeks-extension-with-trade/2541025/

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Boras at it again.  You want Max?  You have to give him a contract beyond this year.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/nbcsports/agent-to-cubs-others-max-scherzer-seeks-extension-with-trade/2541025/

That's fine. Sign Max for two or three more years. He has not slowed down. Still the best pitcher on the team, and there is no one in AAA, and maybe only one pitcher in AA who might be ready in 2023.

Offline imref

Pay the man

Offline Natsinpwc

The article was about extending Max as a condition of a trade.  No reason for the Nats to extend him now. 

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
The Lerners arent paying the luxury tax for the end of Donaldson's contract

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't we only be charged a prorated portion of his luxury tax number by trading for him mid season. As I understand it Donaldson's cap hit is 23 million against the luxury tax meaning we would be charged a little under 9 million against the LT by trading for him which would not put us over the tax threshold and would still give us space to add some relievers like Kennedy and Detweiler.

It would hamstring us a bit next year but if the goal is to win this year its a good move.