Author Topic: Caps and Wiz moving to Potomac Yards?  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Five Banners

Re: Caps and Wiz moving to Potomac Yards?
« Reply #425: March 28, 2024, 12:13:02 PM »
I think if you ask local residents, they’d prefer a rec center, fields, and green space to a stadium. Doubly so to a district

Perhaps that’s why bureaucrats might not be in the habit of asking them versus doing what they want

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #426: March 28, 2024, 01:03:09 PM »
I think if you ask local residents, they’d prefer a rec center, fields, and green space to a stadium. Doubly so to a district
As a DC resident who full disclosure doesn't live next to RFK, I like the idea of a major economic project the revitalizes eastern DC, especially the H street area which has completely failed as an area. I want a stadium hosting major events and bringing in tax dollars that help pay for teachers, police officers, etc. I don't see how a rec center and green spaces help that. But I can see rec and youth facilities being built as part of a stadium project.

I'd love to raze RFK and build massive swaths of housing and commercial spaces, but we all knows DC won't hand that to developers and there isn't money for DC to do it. So that middle ground option is out.

We're entering an era of fiscal austerity. Let's invite more development into all parts of the city. More taxes paid will pay for better services benefitting us all. Can't bulldoze RFK fast enough.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #427: March 28, 2024, 01:05:06 PM »
As much as I have loathed the WFT during my lifetime that would be very nice to have them back in DC.  It’s where they belong for sure. 
I think it is just sad the USA is getting the World Cup and our capital city isn't going to host a match. There is no reason for DC not to have the capability to host major events like that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #428: March 28, 2024, 01:25:29 PM »

I would love for DC to do anything possible to entice a world class stadium capable of hosting mega events but I don’t think the money will be there and I just don’t think they’ll give developers free reign to build the site. Which is a shame. Our capital city should have a worthy stadium.
I'd love to see a Wembley-like venue or something like the bird cage built for the Beijing Summer Olympics. Something truly signature that is a worthwhile piece of architecture.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #429: March 28, 2024, 01:31:10 PM »
I think it is just sad the USA is getting the World Cup and our capital city isn't going to host a match. There is no reason for DC not to have the capability to host major events like that.

Laughably pathetic

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #430: March 28, 2024, 04:33:33 PM »
Yabut at least the Final will be played on Jimmy Hoffa's tomb

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #431: March 28, 2024, 05:02:28 PM »
Isn't most or all of the site only leased by DC?  IIRC the NPS owns it. 
As a DC resident who full disclosure doesn't live next to RFK, I like the idea of a major economic project the revitalizes eastern DC, especially the H street area which has completely failed as an area. I want a stadium hosting major events and bringing in tax dollars that help pay for teachers, police officers, etc. I don't see how a rec center and green spaces help that. But I can see rec and youth facilities being built as part of a stadium project.

I'd love to raze RFK and build massive swaths of housing and commercial spaces, but we all knows DC won't hand that to developers and there isn't money for DC to do it. So that middle ground option is out.

We're entering an era of fiscal austerity. Let's invite more development into all parts of the city. More taxes paid will pay for better services benefitting us all. Can't bulldoze RFK fast enough.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #432: March 28, 2024, 05:10:31 PM »
I think Comer Pyle put some legislation through the house to give DC a 99 year lease.

Offline Five Banners

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #434: March 28, 2024, 08:39:07 PM »
Perhaps the unspoken hero here is Bradley Beal:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/12/bradley-beal-wizards-capitals-move-dc-virginia-leonsis

I wish him nothing but the worst. I can’t wait to see him be unavailable as the Suns flame out in the first round

Online Natsinpwc

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #436: March 29, 2024, 01:32:21 PM »
Yea.  The guy who lived in McLean VA.
To be fair, Virginians played a part in killing this...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #437: March 29, 2024, 01:34:14 PM »
I think many of those (including myself), who live in VA wanted to keep the teams in DC.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #438: March 29, 2024, 03:24:49 PM »
I think many of those (including myself), who live in VA wanted to keep the teams in DC.

This. After the Capital Centre, finding an area where this works for just about everyone and has the infrastructure to handle it seemed to be something to continue.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #439: March 29, 2024, 07:11:53 PM »

The Interior Department built DC Stadium -- for about $20 million -- and, yes, it was on National Park land of some sort. That's why George Preston Marshall was forced to integrate the Washington Redskins, then known around town as the Deadskins because they lost all the time. Anyone remember The Goog? See 1960 and 1961, when the Skins won a game a season. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1960.htm 

However the lease goes on RFK, The District seems to need Congress to give them permission to build on the RFK site.

By the way, RFK was great for soccer, shown by the 1994 World Cup and then DC United. The field is big enough to fit a soccer pitch. The place holds about 55,000 with the outfield stands swung under the third-base grandstand, and with the upper deck filled.

Otherwise, there is no special reason why DC needs a Wembley. Nothing other than the Redskins/"Commanders" needs a stadium, and there is no sport or national event that demands a national stadium.. The Nats have a good ball park, and the Skins will eventually have a home someplace. Unless the "Commanders" want rebuild / renovate RFK, they will need a duplicate of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, likely the best football stadium in the world. It seats about 60,000, with each seat having a good view, and it has a partial roof that holds noise inside. Just like RFK did. And Spurs built it with their own money...about £1.5 billion. Unless Josh Harris wants to pay that, what's the possibility?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #441: April 13, 2024, 12:50:51 PM »
original reporting:
https://wtop.com/alexandria/2024/04/the-wizards-and-caps-arent-coming-to-potomac-yard-a-rental-car-company-wants-to-use-the-land-for-a-parking-lot/

the pitch for a parking lot was rejected, but it is typical of the cruddy offers they've been getting for the land near the metro.

“This is what people don’t understand – we’re trying to really create a place that people want to go,” [council member] Aguirre said. “This is a perfect example of what we’ve been getting — offers to build a parking lot. And I absolutely refuse to do that.”
Even before the arena deal was a possibility, Aguirre said lawmakers have been hoping to transform Potomac Yard into a “high-density, high-activity center.” The city put the transportation infrastructure in place, and was able to support a project to bring Virginia Tech’s Innovation Campus to the neighborhood.

Lawmakers envisioned the space would have office buildings and activity centers, but “because of the pandemic, everything’s changed,” Aguirre said.
Beyond Va Tech, Target's lease is for 20 years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #442: April 13, 2024, 01:13:22 PM »
It’s a terrible parcel. Developing it requires arsenic removal

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #443: April 13, 2024, 11:46:03 PM »
original reporting:
https://wtop.com/alexandria/2024/04/the-wizards-and-caps-arent-coming-to-potomac-yard-a-rental-car-company-wants-to-use-the-land-for-a-parking-lot/

the pitch for a parking lot was rejected, but it is typical of the cruddy offers they've been getting for the land near the metro.
Beyond Va Tech, Target's lease is for 20 years.

Not every place near Metro stops automatically have the most gleaming, amazing uses just spring up because you put a stop there. The stop seemed kind of wedged in for use, but that didn’t automatically mean that everything was just going to turn into streets of gold there.

But then again, when have Alexandria officials really looked at the big picture over recent decades versus arguably seeming to be led around by the nose by developers? There was a very profitable use there when it was a train yard, but when prices in the area began to spike, many industrial uses such as the train yard seemed to disappear. The “port city” apparently decided to unilaterally dismember its port usability, in part so they could put up condos etc. instead, though there had been port uses that weren’t only industrial but actually had commercial/retail elements as well.

One could go way, way further into depth here, but suffice it to say that it was city officials appearing to go their own way, without seeming to heed a lot of input from the community with this “let’s develop every square inch with office and residential development” theme that may finally had reached its logical conclusion after dismembering alternative economic diversifying elements. And yet, this official closes with this:

“It’s disappointing, Aguirre said, “that we weren’t allowed to have this conversation at a local level, and really try to see if we could put (together an arena deal) that would work for our community.””

Yeah, when they spring something that may seem completely out of the blue and appears at odds with the existing plan for that area of the city, they don’t have that conversation sometimes. That’s especially if their actions indicate they apparently don’t want to. What seems neat is how the organization that came out of this in the recent zoning matter there now appears to be in place to ensure conversations will be had with every move there contemplated going forward, particularly when certain city officials seem to have gone over their skis.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #444: April 14, 2024, 09:45:15 AM »
the train yard was not viable. It needed a ton of remediation even though it never reached superfund status. Once cleaned up, that was just a huge huge property close to a major city. There's no way a rail yard was the highest use. The decision was made more than 30 years ago to go in a different direction. Wilder talked about a football stadium. It was when Jim Moran was the Mayor.

The last little sliver along the metro is a weird shaped property. It should get a better use than a parking lot. It's been a bit slow and it's not hot in the current environment, but even if it is more condos, it'll get used. Let's see the spin offs from the Va Tech campus. It's not all on Amazon. heck, Boeing moved it's HQ to Arlington. I'm sure they could hunt another major contractor.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #445: April 14, 2024, 10:08:57 AM »
If the only option is a rental parking lot, make it a park along the GW trail. If JBG is really insisting that’s what it’s worth, then it will be cheap to take for public use

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #446: April 14, 2024, 10:47:21 AM »
the parking lot is not happening. they'll keep it dirt or grass before it's a parking lot.